ERAS needed for preceptor letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hungrydoc710

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS3 here,

Asked for a letter of rec - preceptor said "glad to, we'll be in touch".
Do I need for ERAS account via my school before I can move forward in this process?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

OMS3 here,

Asked for a letter of rec - preceptor said "glad to, we'll be in touch".
Do I need for ERAS account via my school before I can move forward in this process?

Thanks.
Yes, your school will email you an ERAS token before the end of this year (Some schools email them earlier than others, and some like mine don't email them until next semester). You can use that to create an ERAS account and save your letters. You can have your preceptor write the letter now and he can save it somewhere until he can upload it on ERAS.

Yes, your school will email you an ERAS token before the end of this year (Some schools email them earlier than others, and some like mine don't email them until next semester). You can use that to create an ERAS account and save your letters. You can have your preceptor write the letter now and he can save it somewhere until he can upload it on ERAS.
Perfect, thank you sir.

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly what Dr.StephenStrange said! It's always a great idea to ask an attending if they would be willing to write you a letter of recommendation (LOR) when you are in your 3rd year rotations. However, an attending won't write your letter until you provide them with the ERAS upload info. The ERAS token which will give you the ability to access ERAS and the information that your LOR writers will need in order to upload your LOR. Once you get your ERAS token, start reaching out to your LOR writers. I recommended scheduling a formal meeting with them. This way they can get to know you better and you can directly hand them useful information for writing your LOR (I.e. CV, personal statement, a summary of 2-3 patient encounters you had during your rotation with them, ERAS upload info, etc).

Good luck!

Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors