ERAS Personal Statement margins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everythingthat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to insure that the personal statement will not go over 1 page when printed by a PD from ERAS? I'm using Microsoft Word. I've searched the forums, but have read different things.

Font-wise, Courier New, 10 point font seems to be consensus.

Margin-wise, I've read anywhere from 1" margins all around (last point on this page: https://pritzker.uchicago.edu/current/students/advising/road/Personal Statement Guidelines.pdf ); 0.3" sides and 0.8" top/bottom (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/personal-statement-length-on-eras.752511/#post-10039640 ); 0.8" sides and 0.5" top/bottom (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...is-over-one-page-in-eras.657104/#post-8544755 ). And most of these threads/posts are from 2010-ish or earlier (or I suck at searching the forums properly.)

Anyone have any insight into the current recommended settings?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since the second link you list is mine, it's obviously the correct answer. :slap:

But actually, the "correct" answer is much more complicated this year. ERAS is transitioning to a new web based system for programs this year. Some programs have volunteered to use the new system, some are using the old system. From what I have seen, the new system formats personal statements much differently than the old system. So how your PS might appear will depend upon the program.

Since the second link you list is mine, it's obviously the correct answer. :slap:

But actually, the "correct" answer is much more complicated this year. ERAS is transitioning to a new web based system for programs this year. Some programs have volunteered to use the new system, some are using the old system. From what I have seen, the new system formats personal statements much differently than the old system. So how your PS might appear will depend upon the program.

I see.. well that does make things a bit more difficult! Would it be safe to assume that the using the old/previous format recommendations (which you said were 0.3" sides and 0.8" top/bottom, correct?) would be fine, as most PDs wouldn't expect current applicants to know the new system well enough to format their essays accordingly? Thank you for the info!

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but it seems like formatting will be irrelevant with the new web-based system. It's just copy/paste into a text box (or type in) and doesn't seem to carry over any margins or page breaks. Funky characters, however, may sneak in.

I could be wrong, but it seems like formatting will be irrelevant with the new web-based system. It's just copy/paste into a text box (or type in) and doesn't seem to carry over any margins or page breaks. Funky characters, however, may sneak in.

Sorry I should have been more clear with my question. Yeah, as you said, the formatting itself doesn't carry over for sure. What I'm asking is, what settings in Microsoft Word would give the most accurate representation of what "1 page" looks like when its pasted over into and printed from the ERAS website by a PD.

According to aProgDirector, 1 page on MS Word using Courier New 10 pt font, single-spaced, with 0.3" side margins and 0.8" top/bottom margins will be equal to 1 page on the ERAS website.

Reactions: 1 user
Great question and thank you everyone for your insight!

Quick question, is it mandatory to follow the 1 page rule hard and fast? I have currently am at 1 pg and 1/2! I'm currently trying to cut it down but it's tough decided what to remove. Is it ok to have more than 1 page? Is it frowned upon?

Quick question, is it mandatory to follow the 1 page rule hard and fast? I have currently am at 1 pg and 1/2! I'm currently trying to cut it down but it's tough decided what to remove. Is it ok to have more than 1 page? Is it frowned upon?

The general impression I've gotten from reading around is that you should do your best to keep your PS to 1 page. And it makes sense to me as PDs are looking through lots of these each application season, and the better you are at conveying your point in a short and sweet way, the happier they're likely to be. But there's no hard and fast rule, as you say. My thought is, if you're going to make your essay much longer than 1 page, it better be really interesting.. A few lines over probably won't hurt though.

However, I'm obviously no expert in this matter..

Look at it this way, under the best of circumstances, your PS will be given 30 seconds of somebody's time (more likely 10 or 20). So you need to make that first 10-20 seconds worth their time and hope they make it to 30. They're unlikely to turn the page (I don't when I review them) so get in there, say what needs to be said, and get out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Look at it this way, under the best of circumstances, your PS will be given 30 seconds of somebody's time (more likely 10 or 20). So you need to make that first 10-20 seconds worth their time and hope they make it to 30. They're unlikely to turn the page (I don't when I review them) so get in their, say what needs to be said, and get out.

Completely agree. The job of the personal statement is to give your application a voice that makes me to want to meet you. Be authentic, be engaging, but most of all, be concise.

Are these recommendations still valid? Is the "Preview" on ERAS actually what PDs see? I have read that the header on the applicant's preview makes the PS look longer than what PDs see when they view the application.