ERAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.PotatoHead

Reaction score
If I were to take coursework toward a MD/MS dual degree program, and then later decide to withdraw from the masters program, how would this be reported in ERAS? Would I be able to report the extra coursework simply as elective coursework, or would I be required to list that I was once enrolled in a masters program which I did not complete? This is not a current problem - I'm anticipating complications from enrolling in such a program in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't list out coursework in ERAS the way you did on AMCAS, so it'd be however your school chose to represent it on your transcript.

You don't list out coursework in ERAS the way you did on AMCAS, so it'd be however your school chose to represent it on your transcript.
Aha. Thanks. I reviewed the ERAS informational PDF, and under the Education section it appears that I must list "information regarding the institution, degree and dates of attendance for each undergraduate and graduate school attended." I presume that this would include the graduate school at the institution of the MD/MS program. Would I necessarily have to list the graduate school? Is there the option to select "non-degree program" or similar?

On ERAS, you put in institution/dates attended/degree completed (& if yes, what degree)/date of degree. So you could list attending the graduate portion of your medical school but say you did not receive a degree. That being said, it depends on when you're dropping out: if it's prior to starting the MS, I wouldn't think you'd have any issue since you never attended the graduate school either way.

On ERAS, you put in institution/dates attended/degree completed (& if yes, what degree)/date of degree. So you could list attending the graduate portion of your medical school but say you did not receive a degree. That being said, it depends on when you're dropping out: if it's prior to starting the MS, I wouldn't think you'd have any issue since you never attended the graduate school either way.
Gotcha. This is one of those four year dual degree programs, so MS coursework starts week 1. Having no reference for how hard medical school will be at baseline, I'm mostly concerned about the worst-case wherein the additional MS responsibilities detriment the MD education. It's unlikely, but a contingency worth considering IMO.

Gotcha. This is one of those four year dual degree programs, so MS coursework starts week 1. Having no reference for how hard medical school will be at baseline, I'm mostly concerned about the worst-case wherein the additional MS responsibilities detriment the MD education. It's unlikely, but a contingency worth considering IMO.

I haven't heard of those; all the programs at my school generally require taking a year off between MS3/4, so there's a clean split between MS and non-MS coursework. Interesting. Regardless, I still think your best bet is speaking with your school about this, since presumably it's come up for them before. It's possible that, if the MS is through the med school, the only thing that would change would be what degree you list (MD vs MS/MD).