ERAS Submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sestamibi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My schools keeps insisting we submit ERAS the first day we can: 9/1/08

Is it really a huge deal if I wait a couple of days, say until 9/5 or 9/6 before submitting?

I'm thinking no but I want to see the rationale behind my school's strangely insistent ways.

Members don't see this ad.

You can wait a few days. Not sure why your school is being so hard-nosed about it, unless they feel by threatening you, applicants will get them in earlier than usual.

Not sure either since 9/1 is the absolute earliest anyone can submit ERAS. I don't see what the big deal is about having everything in on that day. I figured I could wait until the weekend to at least mull things over a final time.

are you all serious about submitting sept 1? What about waiting until october to submit? is that way too late? I doubt my letters will be in before oct 1 and the MSPEs aren't even sent until nov 1, right? Whats the big rush?

the story goes....... if you send it in on the first day, programs will start downloading your application and lining up interviews.

but i know quite a few people who didn't send in their application in the first week for match 2008. not a problem.

one person didn't even send it in till late october, and she landed an anesthesia residency.

thats good to know. So progs will interview you without the MSPE and LORs? Or are LORs supposed to be in by Sept 1?

the deadline is what the programs specify...... which is not till november or december.

so no, technically you don't have to have your letters in by sept 1.

but people like to submit early because at some places, it's like first come first serve.

My schools keeps insisting we submit ERAS the first day we can: 9/1/08

Is it really a huge deal if I wait a couple of days, say until 9/5 or 9/6 before submitting?

I'm thinking no but I want to see the rationale behind my school's strangely insistent ways.

According to the ERAS website, they can't upload any documents to your file until you actually apply to a program. And even then, they can only upload the documents you've assigned to at least one program.

That's probably why they want you to apply ASAP--so they can get busy uploading documents.

According to the ERAS website, they can't upload any documents to your file until you actually apply to a program. And even then, they can only upload the documents you've assigned to at least one program.

That's probably why they want you to apply ASAP--so they can get busy uploading documents.

oh crap. :eek:

good to know.

i'll apply to one crappy program just to get the process started

thats good to know. So progs will interview you without the MSPE and LORs? Or are LORs supposed to be in by Sept 1?

You should try to get your CAF in as soon as possible. The year I applied, I had my CAF filed on September 1. A handful of the programs actually downloaded the CAF that day or the next (but most of the programs downloaded it 7-10 days later.) I received my first interview offer on September 6 and several during the subsequent week.

Programs will offer interviews without seeing your LORs. Occasionally that will backfire on the program director. My program, for example, received an application from a guy who looked fantastic on paper. He was offered an interview slot early during the season. Then his LORs started to trickle in (not promising). And then his dean's letter arrived (disastrous). The point of this story is to emphasize that programs will offer interviews simply on the basis of the CAF.

Note this may be specialty-dependent. I never really asked my friends who applied in derm (for example) how the process went for them, but I suspect that the more competitive specialties will wait for your entire application to be complete before making interview offers.

Cheers
-AT.

i suppose if you're an average student, they won't interview you early?

i'm going for a noncompetitive specialty

oh crap. :eek:

good to know.

i'll apply to one crappy program just to get the process started

Eras 2009 has changed. You have to finalize your LoR before you assign it to any program.. And as soon as you finalize, the LoR are in the ERAS post office.

what do you mean "finalized"??

the writer sends it to eras, eras scans it, uploads. is that finalized enough?

OK I'll jump into the fray
but warn that I applied to medicine residency in 2003/2004.
I KNOW I didn't put my application in by Sept 1st. You don't need to stress about the exact date for a noncompetitive specialty like IM...just don't wait until a few days before the program deadline. ERAS is sometimes sucky at getting things scanned in a timely manner...I had them take a couple of weeks to scan in some of my letters of recommendation.

If you aren't trying for a picky specialty, don't worry - you will match, and very likely somewhere you liked a lot.

Main thing with ERAS is realize that your LOR's will likely take a couple of weeks to get scanned in, and you should plan accordingly.

Main thing with ERAS is realize that your LOR's (and everything else) will likely take a couple of weeks to get scanned in, and you should plan accordingly.

Thank you. This bears repeating.

Every year we get posts on SDN that say, "I uploaded my stuff to ERAS 23.4 minutes ago and they STILL HAVEN'T sent my stuff out to the programs!!!!:mad::scared::scared::(:( "

Please. Allow ERAS a few weeks after you submit things to upload them; this is especially important if you are getting things in late (ie, they might not make the deadline). If you are using ECFMG, you can add a couple of weeks for them as well.

This is on the ECFMG-ERAS website..
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/new.html
I guess the changes in ERAS will be same for AMGs and IMGs
Finalizing Letter of Recommendation (LoR) Writers at the MyERAS Site

The Letter of Recommendation (LoR) section of MyERAS allows you to create a list of individuals who will write letters on your behalf. New for ERAS 2009, you can finalize your LoR writers before you apply to programs. In previous years, an LoR could not be attached to your electronic application until you assigned the LoR to at least one program to which you had applied. This year, as soon as you finalize your LoR writers, ERAS Support Services at ECFMG will receive an update that allows us to scan your LoRs and make them available to programs when you apply. ERAS Support Services at ECFMG strongly recommends that you finalize your LoR writers once you have registered at MyERAS.
To finalize an LoR writer, create a new letter writer by clicking “Designate a New Letter of Recommendation Writer” in the Documents section of the AAMC MyERAS website. Fill out the information and click “Save”. Repeat this process for all of your designated letter writers. After you have finished designating your letter writers, click the check box(es) next to the writer(s) that you wish to finalize, enter your MyERAS password in the box provided, and click “Finalize”.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Once you finalize the letter writer, you cannot edit the designated LoR request. It is your responsibility to follow-up with letter writers and confirm that your LoRs have reached ERAS Support Services at ECFMG in time to meet program deadlines.

Thanks for all the good info from everyone here...one additional question. After we "finalize" a LOR, how will we know when the actual letter has been uploaded by our school?

This is from the allopathic schools timeline:
September 2, 2008* Schools, ECFMG, NBME and NBOME can transmit residency supporting documents.
Residency programs can begin contacting the ERAS PostOffice to download application files.
Meaning they can't add LORs, USMLE scores, etc. to your app until September 2.

ERAS sends you an email notice, saying,
"Your LOR #3 From Dr. John Doe has been uploaded to the ERAS post office"
This will come a couple of days after an email saying,
"Your LOR #3 From Dr John Doe has been received by the ERAS post office"

The thing that takes FOREVER is getting them to say they have received the letter...I had one take a couple of weeks before they'd even acknowledge they have it. ERAS sucks IMHO...poor customer service and it's expensive and kind of useless. The only good thing about it is that it's a centralized application service, but I think it just adds to the problem of "spam" applications by med students and residents, since it costs them very little effort to apply to 25 programs vs. 8.

I thought the writer sends his letter to your designated dean's office who then send it to eras?

With this new format, can you still pick and choose which letters you want for each application. If someone was applying to one specialty - and they had submitted 7 LOR's, can they pick different LOR's for each place they apply?

If they are applying to 3 specialties and have 10 LOR's, can they enter "all specialties" as far as which specialty they are assigned, and then choose the LOR's in various combinations depending on which program they are interested in? If they have a specific letter from someone in a particular program can they use that letter only for that program, or will all the programs within that specialty get that LOR?

if OASIS lists receipt of the LOR's, they still have to be finalized at ERAS?

Lastly, lets say you were applying to one specialty (for example sake lets say OB/GYN) - had 4 LOR's and submitted and finalized them, assigning them all to OB. Then you got a new and better LOR, sent it in and assigned it to OB prior to applying to any programs- could you pick the new one as one of the 3 or 4 you had sent to programs as part of your application?

I thought the writer sends his letter to your designated dean's office who then send it to eras?

Yes, letters go to the DDO. The DDO then scans them, and electronically submits them to ERAS.

With this new format, can you still pick and choose which letters you want for each application. If someone was applying to one specialty - and they had submitted 7 LOR's, can they pick different LOR's for each place they apply?

If they are applying to 3 specialties and have 10 LOR's, can they enter "all specialties" as far as which specialty they are assigned, and then choose the LOR's in various combinations depending on which program they are interested in? If they have a specific letter from someone in a particular program can they use that letter only for that program, or will all the programs within that specialty get that LOR?

if OASIS lists receipt of the LOR's, they still have to be finalized at ERAS?

Lastly, lets say you were applying to one specialty (for example sake lets say OB/GYN) - had 4 LOR's and submitted and finalized them, assigning them all to OB. Then you got a new and better LOR, sent it in and assigned it to OB prior to applying to any programs- could you pick the new one as one of the 3 or 4 you had sent to programs as part of your application?

Getting a bit happy with the submit button there? :D

I think you are a bit confused. The process for LOR's remains mostly unchanged. You can have as many LOR's as you would like, and can decide to assign them to any program you want (not necessarily by field). You can arrange them any way you want.

The difference is how it's done.

Last year: Generate ERAS application --> List Letter writers in ERAS --> Apply to programs --> assign letters to programs --> Only now can ECFMG / DDO upload your letters

Now: Generate ERAS application --> List letter writers in ERAS --> Finalize letter writers in ERAS --> Now DDO can upload letters without you actually applying to any programs.

Otherwise, the process is unchanged. At least, that;s the way I read it.

Thanks for the great info on the LOR's. I'm an MD pursuing another degree before residency and applying for the '09 Match. (Hi aProgD)

What about my PS and CV? Do those have to been uploaded in order to submit my application? What will programs require before looking at my app in order to decide on interviewing me?

Thanks so much.

What about my PS and CV? Do those have to been uploaded in order to submit my application? What will programs require before looking at my app in order to decide on interviewing me?

I think you may have thinks a bit confused. When you write "submit my application", are you referring to the CAF? The CAF is the CV-like document that contains the details on your schooling, awards, publications, etc. You can submit the CAF as soon as it is complete; you can submit your PS and LOR's at a later date.

As for your question about what programs will be looking for in order to offer an interview, that varies from program to program.

-AT.

I have my application all set to be submitted once sept 1 hits, but my dean's letter and other LORs won't be in until later- none of my letter writers have turned them in to our registrar's office to be uploaded, and our school gives them until October 15th to do so. Is this going to hurt me?

On an unrelated topic, this thing about the picture in ERAS...there's a spot to click to submit it, but I can't figure out any way to upload anything. Will my school just upload my ID photo or something?

Just like everyone else Im trying to learn how this works. So Ill try to recap what I just learned. Please correct me if wrong.

You can have the cv part of your application submitted as early as sept 1.

Any LOR or documents, like board scores or pics of you, cannot be uploaded by your deans office to eras until sept 2. and ERAS takes a few days to weeks to have theses things available for Program directors to see.

Residency PD's can begin downloading your application(cv part or whatever part is complete) as of Sept 1, but they usually do this about a week later (sept 7th.)

PD's can download new applications/new updates(like LORs, Pics, board scores) when the ERAS has them "finalized" in their system AND you have assigned each of those documents to the programs you want them to be sent to.

This year, you can assign a document(like a certain LOR) to a program before it has been submitted by your school, Or even written. When the LOR is in, the eras submits it to the programs you chose for it to go to. that way you dont have to constantly check ERAS everyday to see if you last LOR came in. They will just assign it to only the programs you want it going to.

My questions are:
1.if you finalized a LOR and have it assigned to a program when it comes in... and then find out it never came in(writter forgot), will the PD know?

2.If you assign a letter to a program and change your mind before it has come it,can you remove it from that program?

3. If you have a new letter come in late, and you have it attached to a program that has already downloaded your file, will they have to redownload your file to get the new lor, or does the system automaticlly update your profile for them?

4. Are personal statements considered a document? I thought they were part of your general(cv) part of the application that you send in early september. I know you have to assign the letter to the programs you want (just like you have to do with board scores ) but they get your personal statement with the rest of your application in early sept? right?

Last edited:
Spoke with a program director the other day and he said he doesn't start downloading stuff until October, doubts anyone else does either, and said there is simply no rational reason schools tell students to get stuff in in early September except that perhaps it makes things administratively easier for the schools to stagger all this stuff over a month, rather than hit a crunch in mid-October. So my take was if you send your stuff by October, you are golden, and that no, you won't miss out on early interview slots by not getting stuff in 9/2.

Spoke with a program director the other day and he said he doesn't start downloading stuff until October, doubts anyone else does either, and said there is simply no rational reason schools tell students to get stuff in in early September except that perhaps it makes things administratively easier for the schools to stagger all this stuff over a month, rather than hit a crunch in mid-October. So my take was if you send your stuff by October, you are golden, and that no, you won't miss out on early interview slots by not getting stuff in 9/2.

Last year, most programs I applied to had downloaded what I had of my ERAS application by the end of September. Some downloaded it the very next day after it opened. I got a couple interviews in mid to late September as well. These boards were buzzing with interview invites all throughout the first weeks of September!!

It definitely doesn't hurt to have your stuff in early; it can only help you. You could miss out on the first wave of interview invites for a certain program by waiting to apply in October....you never know.

This year, you can assign a document(like a certain LOR) to a program before it has been submitted by your school, Or even written.

Although this is correct, that's not what's new this year. Last year, your Dean's office couldn't upload a letter to ERAS until you had actually assigned the letter to a program. This year, they can upload the letter as long as you've "Finalized" it, even if you haven't assigned it to a program. At least, that's the way I read the change. In any case, it's a very minor issue either way. On to your questions:

My questions are:
1.if you finalized a LOR and have it assigned to a program when it comes in... and then find out it never came in(writter forgot), will the PD know?

No. I simply won't get the letter. I'll never know there ever was supposed to be a letter.

2.If you assign a letter to a program and change your mind before it has come it,can you remove it from that program?

Yes, and again I'll never know the difference.

3. If you have a new letter come in late, and you have it attached to a program that has already downloaded your file, will they have to redownload your file to get the new lor, or does the system automaticlly update your profile for them?

Every time we connect to the ERAS post office, it sends us only new information. So, if you add a letter, we simply get the new letter. ERAS then let's us run a report on all the new stuff we got, and will highlight it for printing or viewing. So, never fear, it will not be lost.

4. Are personal statements considered a document? I thought they were part of your general(cv) part of the application that you send in early september. I know you have to assign the letter to the programs you want (just like you have to do with board scores ) but they get your personal statement with the rest of your application in early sept? right?

Personal statements are similar to documents. You can create as many versions of PS's as you want on myERAS, and assign them to programs as you see fit. You can send it with your CAF (which is your "CV"), or anytime later. You can actually change your PS anytime you like also -- if you send me a new one, the old one is "wiped out" in our electronic ERAS system as your application can only have a single PS. If we've printed out your old PS, then we can compare. Note: You really shouldn't change your PS. Make sure the grammar is correct the first time.

thanks for the response. Its really helping me understand this thing.

I have submitted my application early but I just discovered an error in my PS where I mis-spelt as ‘pediatrician’ instead of physician at 2 places…..I am really shocked and don’t know what to do now ?? It is an inexcusable error … what can I do to make up for this?? Would all PS be printed out usually?? Will it kill my chances at interview?? Should I make the changes and re-upload my PS to all the IM programs I applied or let be and take my chances?? I am banking on your suggestions…Please advise…n thanks in adance

I have submitted my application early but I just discovered an error in my PS where I mis-spelt as ‘pediatrician’ instead of physician at 2 places…..I am really shocked and don’t know what to do now ?? It is an inexcusable error … what can I do to make up for this?? Would all PS be printed out usually?? Will it kill my chances at interview?? Should I make the changes and re-upload my PS to all the IM programs I applied or let be and take my chances?? I am banking on your suggestions…Please advise…n thanks in adance

Well, if you're applying to Peds, it seems like it wouldn't matter.

I'd probably reupload a new PS. If programs have printed it out, they'll now have two PS's. But, they're likely to notice this anyway if you don't fix it. This is different from a usual spelling mistake. if you had simply spelled physician incorrectly that's embarassing, but I might leave this alone. This makes it look like you're applying to peds and IM, and might make IM programs less likely to take you.

So, I'd think about it this way:
1. If the program hasn't printed the PS and you upload a new one, they will never know the difference. You win.
2. If the program has printed the PS, then they'll see two PS's. That MIGHT make them wonder what you changed, and search for it. HOWEVER, if you don't upload a new PS, they're probably going to notice this anyway, so I doubt you really hurt yourself. So, I'll call this a wash.

Win + Wash = Win in my book. But, no clear right answer here. And you'll want to be ready for the "So, I noticed the use of pediatrician in your PS. Are you applying to Peds programs also?". remember that not telling the truth in your interview can get you into big trouble in the future, potentially.

Well, if you're applying to Peds, it seems like it wouldn't matter.

I'd probably reupload a new PS. If programs have printed it out, they'll now have two PS's. But, they're likely to notice this anyway if you don't fix it. This is different from a usual spelling mistake. if you had simply spelled physician incorrectly that's embarassing, but I might leave this alone. This makes it look like you're applying to peds and IM, and might make IM programs less likely to take you.

So, I'd think about it this way:
1. If the program hasn't printed the PS and you upload a new one, they will never know the difference. You win.
2. If the program has printed the PS, then they'll see two PS's. That MIGHT make them wonder what you changed, and search for it. HOWEVER, if you don't upload a new PS, they're probably going to notice this anyway, so I doubt you really hurt yourself. So, I'll call this a wash.

Win + Wash = Win in my book. But, no clear right answer here. And you'll want to be ready for the "So, I noticed the use of pediatrician in your PS. Are you applying to Peds programs also?". remember that not telling the truth in your interview can get you into big trouble in the future, potentially.

Thank you for all the suggestions and help...I have resent my PS to all the IM progs....Actually,I have also applied to Med-ped progs and so the confusion ! Do the programs usually print every PS after being downloaded ?? At this point I dont understand how I can explain my folly and save grace in an interview...if I get any...could you give me any suggestions please ?? Thanks again for the great info...

Thank you for all the suggestions and help...I have resent my PS to all the IM progs....Actually,I have also applied to Med-ped progs and so the confusion ! Do the programs usually print every PS after being downloaded ?? At this point I dont understand how I can explain my folly and save grace in an interview...if I get any...could you give me any suggestions please ?? Thanks again for the great info...

Personally, I'm a big fan of the truth. You applied to both Med and Med/Peds programs. I don't see that as much of a conflict. The two fields have obvious overlap.

Why is this so old and outdated?

Why are you bumping a 9 year old thread when there are roughly 100 newer, active ones with the same information?

.. because they aren't at the top of the list for this exact search ?

... I am certainly interested in all the social analysis I am interested in, but clearly, I must be, can we say, "misguided"... ?

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-6_17-8-25.png
    upload_2017-9-6_17-8-25.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 61
I hate old threads at the top of a Google Search..

and in another tangential gift ... should it feel "okay" that "Scutwork" has returned? Does "Scutwork" no longer have ten year old entries and is now triple the size in three years? Why? Why? Why?