ERD's and GP's/FMD's Cross overs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benyjets23

Adventuring MD Wannabe
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I live in a town of about 45,000 people, in South Western Ontario admidst a sea of agriculture. I have noticed that many of the Emergency Room doctors are also GP's with their own private clinics. I was curious about this and have a few questions:

1.) Are GP's and ERD's essentially the same species of medicine?

2.) How much does this have to do with the fact I am talking about a small town, small hospital where many of the serious cases are air lifted to surrounding cities?

3.) Do GP's and ERD's cross over, if not how can you get dualy credentialed?

Just curious. FM appeals to my desire to work past 70, as well as its "orthodox" feel. EM appeals to my desire to fly on adrenaline and have to think and act by the seat of my pants. Or should I say someone else's pants.

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

EM is like FM on speed, with more trauma and less OB. FM is about continuity and long-term, EM is about critical and short-term. Although many a patient we see should have gone to their GP, so we have to know a little about everything. If you want both (why, I don't know, but if you do), there is soon to be a few dual EM/FM combined programs.

EM is like FM on speed, with more trauma and less OB.

The best description of this I have ever heard. :thumbup: Way to word it Shelled One! :laugh: