Erotic transference-countertransference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dapplegrey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interested in other psychiatrists or psychiatry residents experience, while in training, regarding education in erotic transference-countertransference issues. Out of my four years of didactic residency training education I received not one lecture on the above. We were issued therapy patients and told to get supervision from a private practice psychiatrist for the aforementioned patients. On the other hand my Ph.D. psychology colleagues were extensively trained in such issues.

Members don't see this ad.

that is interesting, i think it would be the exception for psychologists to talk about this extensively during their clinical psychology training except at psychoanalytically influenced places which are few and far between. again, psychiatry residency programs that are more heavily psychodynamically influenced will talk about this whilst those that are more biologically oriented are less likely to. i had one interview at a program well known for its psychodynamic leanings where the PD just kept asking me about various scenarios involving erotic transference and how i would handle it as well as some very personal questions!

My Psychotherapy supervisor once told me about his own experience in the similar situation. He dumped the patient to another colleague ( He didn't want to risk his license):smuggrin: