Error in activity on amcas! :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evvnvd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i could use some advice bc im stressing out.

One of my activities i miscalculated hours...it was 4hr/month over like 8 years. It was volunteering at a rehab center where my mom works. I was really the only volunteer, they had no system because it was so small and only let me in bc i asked if i could help. I was stupid and multiplied by 8hr/month so the work doubled...

To add, my contact just quit the job. Im scared if they contact the center they might not know me. I wasnt there everyday and a lot of people have quit and new ones come in. My contact quit right after i submitted my primary bc the new boss wasnt to her liking, I know very few of the new people and was usually in rooms with patients.

Should i email the schools about the errors and provide an alternate number to call my contact? Considering i did it so long i feel they might call....

My amcas has not been verified yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i could use some advice bc im stressing out.

One of my activities i miscalculated hours...it was 4hr/month over like 8 years. It was volunteering at a rehab center where my mom works. I was really the only volunteer, they had no system because it was so small and only let me in bc i asked if i could help. I was stupid and multiplied by 8hr/month so the work doubled...

To add, my contact just quit the job. Im scared if they contact the center they might not know me. I wasnt there everyday and a lot of people have quit and new ones come in. My contact quit right after i submitted my primary bc the new boss wasnt to her liking, I know very few of the new people and was usually in rooms with patients.

Should i email the schools about the errors and provide an alternate number to call my contact? Considering i did it so long i feel they might call....

My amcas has not been verified yet.
You can give updated Total Hours and Contact information on some Secondaries where the prompt is something like, "Is there information you'd like to add to your application?" or some such. For others, it may be possible to email a correction and have it added to your file, but you would need to call or email each school first to be sure they will accept updates via that means. For the rest, let it go. If asked at interviews, you can make the correction then.

You can give updated Total Hours and Contact information on some Secondaries where the prompt is something like, "Is there information you'd like to add to your application?" or some such. For others, it may be possible to email a correction and have it added to your file, but you would need to call or email each school first to be sure they will accept updates via that means. For the rest, let it go. If asked at interviews, you can make the correction then.

I just dont want to falsify or make it seem as if im doing so. I will send out emails asap though. I just noticed the number and was taken aback as to how large it was....i feel dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just dont want to falsify or make it seem as if im doing so. I will send out emails asap though. I just noticed the number and was taken aback as to how large it was....i feel dumb.
If you try to make the correction, but a school doesn't give you an avenue to do so, at least you can report the effort if you are challenged.

If you try to make the correction, but a school doesn't give you an avenue to do so, at least you can report the effort if you are challenged.

Thanks ill shoot out the emails. Ive lost a lot of hair over this...

There is no rush. First, look at the Secondary prompts for your target schools in last year's School Specific forums, to see how many provide for the first option I mentioned: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/allopathic-school-specific-discussions-2016.962/

They will be 97% unchanged for this year when they come out.

A lot of these seem to be just specific essay questions. Ive been taking notes to prewrite some of these. Places like jefferson have 4000 characters but i wrote a "why i chose them" essay. Should i just delete it? Or email instead.

A lot of these seem to be just specific essay questions. Ive been taking notes to prewrite some of these. Places like jefferson have 4000 characters but i wrote a "why i chose them" essay. Should i just delete it? Or email instead.
What was Jeff's prompt for which you wrote the "Why chosen" essay?

Dang, the worst thing you could have done is lied on your applications.

Dang, the worst thing you could have done is lied on your applications.

It was an error on my part. I didnt see it until now. I think i added an extra 2 in my calculation somehow...but i do have someone who can say i was there.

Could you shorten the essay so as to have enough space at the end for an Addendum to correct the application?
Im sure i could. My goodness i didnt sleep at all worrying about this. I really am ready to shoot myself in the leg....

It was an error on my part. I didnt see it until now. I think i added an extra 2 in my calculation somehow...but i do have someone who can say i was there.

I'm kidding its probably not a big deal. Relax.