Error in EK (9th edition), regarding Korsakoff's Syndrome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KungFuPanda123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK states that "Korsakoff's syndrome is similar to Alzheimer's disease in how it presents as a deficit in the ability to recall recent events while older memories are relatively unaffected." (pg. 121 of the Psych/Soc. book).

Kaplan (and Wikipedia+other Google'd sites) states that Korsakoff's syndrome includes anterograde amnesia AND retrograde amnesia.

Did EK make a mistake? Am I mis-reading what was written? Or is it there some debate as to the extent to which retrograde amnesia is affected?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have EK 9th edition but if Wiki and Google state that Korsakoff's syndrome includes anterograde and retrograde amnesia, I would go with that.

EK states that "Korsakoff's syndrome is similar to Alzheimer's disease in how it presents as a deficit in the ability to recall recent events while older memories are relatively unaffected." (pg. 121 of the Psych/Soc. book).

Kaplan (and Wikipedia+other Google'd sites) states that Korsakoff's syndrome includes anterograde amnesia AND retrograde amnesia.

Did EK make a mistake? Am I mis-reading what was written? Or is it there some debate as to the extent to which retrograde amnesia is affected?

Not totally sure but Oliver Saccs wrote about a patient with KS and I am pretty sure they only had antegrade amnesia.

There isn't any error, Korsakoff's usually manifests itself by ANTEROGRADE amnesia BUT in some cases it has been found that patients confuse older memories and may have problems in recollection.
But I'd stick to anterograde amnesia as that's the usual case, to my limited knowledge at least.