Error on App - Misreported Shadowing Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jelstrom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm half mortified and half terrified. I submitted all my apps and supplemental apps about a week ago, and today out of anxiety I just looked over my applications again, when I noticed that I made an error in reporting my shadowing hours. Since optomcas only lets you put hours per week and number of weeks, I put 8 hours weekly for one of the offices I went to because that's what it typically was, however, I only went there 3 times and one of the days was only 5 hours (I did another 3 hours that day, but elsewhere). It must have slipped by me so, long story short, I've reported 3 hours extra as a result. For my supplemental apps, I just copied my optomcas hours without thinking... What should I do - call my schools right away? Or will bringing it to their attention make things worse? I'm terrified I've messed everything up over 3 hours - especially because I don't have a ton to begin with (this would put me at 30 hours instead of the reported 33).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm half mortified and half terrified. I submitted all my apps and supplemental apps about a week ago, and today out of anxiety I just looked over my applications again, when I noticed that I made an error in reporting my shadowing hours. Since optomcas only lets you put hours per week and number of weeks, I put 8 hours weekly for one of the offices I went to because that's what it typically was, however, I only went there 3 times and one of the days was only 5 hours (I did another 3 hours that day, but elsewhere). It must have slipped by me so, long story short, I've reported 3 hours extra as a result. For my supplemental apps, I just copied my optomcas hours without thinking... What should I do - call my schools right away? Or will bringing it to their attention make things worse? I'm terrified I've messed everything up over 3 hours - especially because I don't have a ton to begin with (this would put me at 30 hours instead of the reported 33).

This is a joke, right?

Please let it be a joke.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a joke, right?

Please let it be a joke.
I'm panicking about this right now and their offices are closed for the weekend. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a big deal, in fact, they don't even care. Adcoms just want to see that you've done some shadowing so that you're familiar with the profession either through that or through work. I'd say OAT and GPA are most important, followed by the interview to make sure you're not a socially inept or crazy, then letters of rec, and everything else is largely supplemental and doesn't matter much. Rest easy, padawan.

It's not a big deal, in fact, they don't even care. Adcoms just want to see that you've done some shadowing so that you're familiar with the profession either through that or through work. I'd say OAT and GPA are most important, followed by the interview to make sure you're not a socially inept or crazy, then letters of rec, and everything else is largely supplemental and doesn't matter much. Rest easy, padawan.
My main concern is because the school I'm most worried about is Pacific, which specifically stipulates a minimum of 30 hours.

I'm panicking about this right now and their offices are closed for the weekend. If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't.

You made a crucial mistake. You have no chance. Better luck next year.

Reactions: 2 users
That's not a big deal at all. They won't know not will they care! If you're that worried about it, go shadow at an office for three hours!

Everyone's correct. As Aaron Rodgers would say "r-e-l-a-x"

If you want, you can send an email to the admissions committee with the correction.
As someone who has worked in the admissions department, however, I really wouldn't fret over it

That's not a big deal at all. They won't know not will they care! If you're that worried about it, go shadow at an office for three hours!

Everyone's correct. As Aaron Rodgers would say "r-e-l-a-x"

If you want, you can send an email to the admissions committee with the correction.
As someone who has worked in the admissions department, however, I really wouldn't fret over it

thanks guys. Really appreciate it!!