erythromelalgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin1

Lifetime Donor
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience treating. 24 yo severe hand and foot pattern. Appears to be primary. Failed oral meds ets. Hasn’t had any interventional treatment.

Members don't see this ad.

Have treated two patients with SCS, both were in fellowship, one was early in the year and followed him for 8-9 months and he was doing well. Second only followed a month or so, was doing well at that time.

I just saw a 23 year old who had “CRPS from dancing all through high school”. Was on Percocet and getting LSBs over and over for the past 3 years. Been wondering about best way to treat her myself.

Paresthesia free seems to be a requirement for treatment as the tingling made symptoms worse in the two I was a part of, heard others say the same when researching it back then as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Erythromelalgia - Rx with ASA and Cytotec

Attachments

• Erythromelalgia.pdf
    171.8 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone with experience treating. 24 yo severe hand and foot pattern. Appears to be primary. Failed oral meds ets. Hasn’t had any interventional treatment.

Really uncommon diagnosis but often confused with odd neuropathies with vascular issues. I would agree with engaging them with an academic team if possible.

There are many reports of SCS helping for this though

and at least one on going clinical trial

Since it is primary, I think a low dose amlodipine makes the most sense and probably hasn’t been tried or sildenafil.

@gdub25
Probably send her to the ketamine queen for psych/infusion under the illusion of treating crps.

you put a system in and it will surely “spread” to the arms.

She has been to one University clinic and was not impressed. Going to try one more next week in California where she is in school. The parents are both docs on the same staff with me so I am willing to go the extra mile for them. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks

I'm confused... are we talking cervical or thoracic SCS?

because it is my understanding that erythromelelgia is upper and lower extremity disorder...

It follows the classic feet, hands, etc pattern of neuropathies. Generally feet over hands in the true cases I've seen.

We had a female in her early 30s with this diagnosis during fellwoship. She eventually got a stimulator after going through everything. Turns.out she was a semi rich suburrban housewife hooked on opioids and she was busted and caught.
Of course the university pain clinic overdiagnosed her and she ended up being a pain fellow pratice live model essentially in exchange for opiods

Do you have a dosing protocol for lidocaine infusions?

so far she had a series of stellates with only short term benefits.

We used to do 3 - 5 mg/kg in a 500 mL bag based on IBW if they're morbidly obese, max of 500 mg of Lidocaine. Pretreat with Valium PO and infuse over 60 - 120 min depending on tolerance.

Reactions: 1 user