EssayEdge editor recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgpadoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently using EssayEdge to work on my personal statement. At the moment, I do not recommend them, but that is because I don't think my editor is very good. He's editing my essay to be a good essay, but I don't feel he's editing it to be a good medical school essay (ie. not reading for content).

Has anyone used EssayEdge recently and had a good experience with their editor? I'd appreciate any recommendations so I can ask them a new editor by name.

I've also read on SDN that EssayRX is actually a much better company and saw a couple recommended editors, but those threads were last updated in 2004 and 2006. If anyone can recommend someone at EssayRX, I wouldn't mind try to switch over.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I used EssayEdge when I was applying for graduate school. They are horrible! They offered a refund if you didn't get into grad school with their essay (and especially if you didn't get into your first choice) and I was rejected by every school that I used their essay for. The only grad school I got into was the one where I wrote my own. They never did give me my refund.

Last edited:
I would also like to know how people view EssayRx...i'm thinking of submitting to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
To update: My editor went AWOL and not even EssayEdge can get in contact with him. They are reassigning me to a new editor and promised to make sure that it is someone who specializes in med school apps (whether they are just saying that, we'll soon see...).

I did a quick google search on my original editor and he has a blog and a twitter account that makes him seem not very professional. But he's apparently a big soccer/world cup buff who travels to games around the world. He received a law degree and has impressive stats, but definitely does not seem like an ideal candidate for med school app editing. I finally understand the stories of people who have been rejected for a job because their potential employers looked into their public personal lives.

Last edited:
I am thinking about having my essay edited professionally. And I was thinking essay edge. But I am little skeptical. Anyone have any other ideas

Sounds like a waste of money - unless you want a cookie cutter essay. The personal statement should be about you, not someone else.

Just write your own essays. Why do you think that those guys are any better than you? If they are so smart why are they editing essays? They may very well messes up your good essays.

Not to defend EssayEdge (especially since I am quite unsatisfied with them at the moment), but professional editing does not seem to be a bad idea. It's just important to get the right editor.

They won't write the essay for you or add any ideas that you didn't already have in your draft. I think a good editor would be able to pick out good ideas that are understated in your draft and offer suggestions to help make those good ideas stand out.

There are some companies that let you fill out a form and they write you an essay, but EssayEdge and EssayRX are not in that category.

I just wish I knew a few of their editors by name so I could request them.

Or you can ask the members on SDN who volunteer to read PS. It's free, and these people have gone through the whole admissions process. They might not be professionals, but you get even more people to look at your essay instead of just one person. The name list is on SDN somewhere....

If you're school has a writing service for students, that's always the best route. Also English teachers/majors and having others proofread are good options too.

my 2 cents..

Just write your own essays. Why do you think that those guys are any better than you? If they are so smart why are they editing essays? They may very well messes up your good essays.

Seriously. Get a good friend or a faculty member to read the thing if need be.