Essays about non-medical interests/hobbies/activities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the secondaries I'm working on has the following prompt: Describe a hobby, interest, or activity other than something in medicine, that you are passionate about or love. Why?

What would you guys write about for this? I'm just curious about what kinds of things people would want to talk about. The topic I chose is a little out there, and may not be taken seriously, so I'm a bit worried. I'd rather not say what it is, because my paranoia is telling me that someone will steal my idea and use it. Haha.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the secondaries I'm working on has the following prompt: Describe a hobby, interest, or activity other than something in medicine, that you are passionate about or love. Why?

What would you guys write about for this? I'm just curious about what kinds of things people would want to talk about. The topic I chose is a little out there, and may not be taken seriously, so I'm a bit worried. I'd rather not say what it is, because my paranoia is telling me that someone will steal my idea and use it. Haha.

I don't see why the topic would matter, so long as you expressed why you love it clearly and it's not murder.

Why would you ask what others would write about and then be worried that others are going to steal your idea on what to write about?...confused

Stop worrying...you are soooooooooooo on top of things I am sure you will get an interview and acceptance verrrrrryyyyy quickly!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see why the topic would matter, so long as you expressed why you love it clearly and it's not murder.
Or....
-Drugs
-Small children
-Sheep or other livestock
-Satan worship
-Shoes (think Glen Quagmire on Family Guy, not Imelda Marcos)

Why would you ask what others would write about and then be worried that others are going to steal your idea on what to write about?...confused

Stop worrying...you are soooooooooooo on top of things I am sure you will get an interview and acceptance verrrrrryyyyy quickly!!!

I'm so on top of things because I'm worried I won't get in somewhere if I delay anything at all.

And I'm paranoid because.. well, I don't know. I'm weird. Hahaha.

Kenneth Iserson, the author of getting into med school "for the perplexed" said that he uses that prompt as the first question in interviews to get applicants to open up. He says he never cares what they talk about because it's always interesting even if he doesn't understand everything they say. He suggests to pick anything that you're excited about that you can explain easily to a naive listener.

I suggest you take that approach with your essay. Anything really is fine, I think. As long as your excitement comes through and it's not too confusing.

I'd explain to them my interest and ability at building and shooting military-style weapons from great distances. I'm also well versed in the art of stealth and sniping.

Just kidding.

Kinda.

I'm so on top of things because I'm worried I won't get in somewhere if I delay anything at all.

And I'm paranoid because.. well, I don't know. I'm weird. Hahaha.

No...you have every right to be paranoid....I wont let anyone who is applying now look at anything I have written.

I just don't understand how you could ask to know what other people are writing about but are not willing to share you own thoughts....I dont think I am that bad...I just wont let people see what I have specifically written.

No...you have every right to be paranoid....I wont let anyone who is applying now look at anything I have written.

I just don't understand how you could ask to know what other people are writing about but are not willing to share you own thoughts....I dont think I am that bad...I just wont let people see what I have specifically written.

...You make a good point. I'm being hypocritical. Oh well. I was really just curious about whether people are writing about generic versus unique activities or hobbies (e.g. swimming vs. underwater basket weaving).

Heh, I've got a question for you! Why are you still here?
Because:
ffb93623.gif

I know the school you are talking about and have already sent my secondary in, so I guess I can tell you what I wrote about. I talked about my love of rebuiding and fixing up old cars. just write about somthing in your life that you are passionate about. It can be a hobby or a sport, those are usually pretty easy to write about

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the school you are talking about and have already sent my secondary in, so I guess I can tell you what I wrote about. I talked about my love of rebuiding and fixing up old cars. just write about somthing in your life that you are passionate about. It can be a hobby or a sport, those are usually pretty easy to write about

That's the problem, though. I'm not involved in any sports (I'm not very good to say the least), and the couple hobbies I have are rather boring. :( But thanks for the input. I'll mull it over some more and then try to crank it out. What did you think of the other essay in the app? I feel like this is one of the hardest secondaries I've received so far.

Ah, the stress one? On a whole this application made me think alot more than the others I have done before, but when it came to actually writing it, it came out pretty easily. Plus the 250 word limit is somthing I like (i run out of things to say around 300 usually, so this worked to my advantage).

When I wrote the other essay, I wrote it like I was telling a story. I described the situation in depth, then used the last few sentances to show how some of my greater strengths helped pull me through it and how I learned from it. I used the last sentance to describe how i would have done it differently knowing what I know now. I dont know if this is the best format, but I felt it was a good way to wrap it all up.

O, and what school did you go to undergrad in? I see you are a michigan resident as well

Go State!:luck:

Ah, the stress one? On a whole this application made me think alot more than the others I have done before, but when it came to actually writing it, it came out pretty easily. Plus the 250 word limit is somthing I like (i run out of things to say around 300 usually, so this worked to my advantage).

When I wrote the other essay, I wrote it like I was telling a story. I described the situation in depth, then used the last few sentances to show how some of my greater strengths helped pull me through it and how I learned from it. I used the last sentance to describe how i would have done it differently knowing what I know now. I dont know if this is the best format, but I felt it was a good way to wrap it all up.

I was thinking of using the same sort of format for the essay, once I decide what to write about (the tricky part). I used the same format for the MSU-COM personal essay as well. I don't know if you are applying there, but I figured I'd mention that since you did go there for undergrad.

yeah, I applied to both. I was a little later in getting my AACOMAS in, so I havent gotten any of those secondaries yet.

i think essays like this try to weed the people out who have no life other than studying...............

I wrote about watching sports for those. Not kidding. Got discussed (positively) at every interview where they had one.