Establishing a Senior (60-65+) Social Club - Good Idea as an EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrannyJ

Reaction score
Hi all!

I live in a relatively small community, with a surprising proportion of the demographic being considered senior.

When I look at my community, I have noticed the majority of my friends parents, including my own mother, experience a relatively high degree of social isolation.

I am in the process of organizing a community-based senior social club, with the goal of enriching the lives of these individuals through fostering social connections, organizing enriching events, etc..., but the primary goal really is to create a platform which people like my own mother can use to establish meaningful social connections.

There are a lot of different directions I can go with this, but before I do so, do you all think it is a worthwhile EC, or should I focus on improving my community via a more "pertinent to medical schools" route? I am also involved with another organization that helps enrich the lives of children, teens, and adults with Down syndrome (as my brother is affected) - I lead one of the programs, and I am training to lead the youth board affiliated with the organization as well.

Thank you all for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I live in a relatively small community, with a surprising proportion of the demographic being considered senior.

When I look at my community, I have noticed the majority of my friends parents, including my own mother, experience a relatively high degree of social isolation.

I am in the process of organizing a community-based senior social club, with the goal of enriching the lives of these individuals through fostering social connections, organizing enriching events, etc..., but the primary goal really is to create a platform which people like my own mother can use to establish meaningful social connections.

There are a lot of different directions I can go with this, but before I do so, do you all think it is a worthwhile EC, or should I focus on improving my community via a more "pertinent to medical schools" route? I am also involved with another organization that helps enrich the lives of children, teens, and adults with Down syndrome (as my brother is affected) - I lead one of the programs, and I am training to lead the youth board affiliated with the organization as well.

Thank you all for your input!
Are you going to do that for a few years before applying to medical school? I can't see you managing both. Do you want to go into social work?

Check your local house of worship or community center if they are willing to set it up and what is involved.