Establishing Cali residency for easier admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member0129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would you like to switch state residencies with me? If I could trade I would lol. I am applying from California and can tell you that this is the worst state to apply to medical school from. I understand that UCSF is your dream school but I think coming to CA for just that reason would be silly. Even with excellent stats and ECs Cali residents get rejected left and right from our state schools. It is so competitive that many CA residents end up out of state. If I were you I would keep your original state residency and apply to some other "dream" schools that accept people from any state.

Would you like to switch state residencies with me? If I could trade I would lol. I am applying from California and can tell you that this is the worst state to apply to medical school from. I understand that UCSF is your dream school but I think coming to CA for just that reason would be silly. Even with excellent stats and ECs Cali residents get rejected left and right from our state schools. It is so competitive that many CA residents end up out of state. If I were you I would keep your original state residency and apply to some other "dream" schools that accept people from any state.

Right, again. The majority of successful CA applicants must go OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream med school is UCSF but they accept 80% in state students. I've read for tuition purposes you need to live there 366+ days and be financially independent. I'm graduating next spring (May 2014) and will be ready to apply to med schools June 2014 for matriculation Fall 2015. If I live and work in Cali for the gap/application year, can I be considered a Cali resident? This is more for admission purposes though tuition would be ideal too!

Please let me know!

This is pretty much the opposite of what you should do if you want to get into medical school.

Just to further echo what's been said. You do not want a CA residency when applying to MD schools.

Do you have the numbers for UCSF (GPA 3.7+ and MCAT >36)?

My dream med school is UCSF but they accept 80% in state students. I've read for tuition purposes you need to live there 366+ days and be financially independent. I'm graduating next spring (May 2014) and will be ready to apply to med schools June 2014 for matriculation Fall 2015. If I live and work in Cali for the gap/application year, can I be considered a Cali resident? This is more for admission purposes though tuition would be ideal too!

Please let me know!

Yeah I'd advise against it

If you live and work in CA during the gap/application year, you may be considered a resident for TUITION purposes at the end of the cycle, but you will NOT be considered a resident for APPLICATION purposes.

Your AMCAS may say CA resident, but admissions offices won't take you seriously.
There is a nice little clause in CA admissions that state you cannot be there solely for educational purposes. Moving there at the beginning of the admissions cycle doesn't look good, even with a job.

Even if you were to get admitted, they still might not classify you as a resident-- and then they don't have to chance your residency status the entire 4 years.

N.B. I lived in CA for 8 years and did my post-bacc at UC Berkeley. This issue came up ALL the time with my classmates. You have better odds of acceptance wherever you live now.

Do you have the numbers for UCSF (GPA 3.7+ and MCAT >36)?
I have this + the whole shebang = no II. This has been mine and several thousand other CA premeds' dream school forever. I don't believe I was entitled to an interview (UCSF has every right to be this selective), just that having these stats are almost a bare minimum to get a secondary..

CA residency help you for UC's, but not as much as IS residency for other states. To reiterate rejection letters- "there are just too many qualified applicants"-- but from CA especially (it seems). I love being from/living here, even with the ridiculous cost of living in the Bay Area, but damn, there was no other time I wished so much to be from another state than during the app process.

GL, lucky non-Californian OP.

Also, we don't really use "cali." ;)

I have this + the whole shebang = no II. This has been mine and several thousand other CA premeds' dream school forever. I don't believe I was entitled to an interview (UCSF has every right to be this selective), just that having these stats are almost a bare minimum to get a secondary..

CA residency help you for UC's, but not as much as IS residency for other states. To reiterate rejection letters- "there are just too many qualified applicants"-- but from CA especially (it seems). I love being from/living here, even with the ridiculous cost of living in the Bay Area, but damn, there was no other time I wished so much to be from another state than during the app process.

GL, lucky non-Californian OP.

Also, we don't really use "cali." ;)
I so happy to see someone else say this!

Also, if you get into UCSF, never call the city "Frisco." Nobody calls it that. It's "San Francisco" or, simply, "the city." "SF" is also acceptable. ;)

Trust me as a CA resident I am hating my life right now. I have done everything possible to get an excellent application. 3.98 GPA, solid ec's, solid personal. I happen to hiccup on the mcat with a 30 (also partially cause my uncle died two days before), but great old CA decides to open its freakin doors to everyone whereas most other state schools will take almost no one from outside (exagerrating of course, but half the time they want you to and outstanding candidate implying an mcat score that is 7 points higher than their avg and much higher GPA). As a CA resident if you don't get into CA state school its private school for the applicant 9/10 times.

Also, if you get into UCSF, never call the city "Frisco." Nobody calls it that. It's "San Francisco" or, simply, "the city." "SF" is also acceptable. ;)

Trust me as a CA resident I am hating my life right now. I have done everything possible to get an excellent application. 3.98 GPA, solid ec's, solid personal. I happen to hiccup on the mcat with a 30 (also partially cause my uncle died two days before), but great old CA decides to open its freakin doors to everyone whereas most other state schools will take almost no one from outside (exagerrating of course, but half the time they want you to and outstanding candidate implying an mcat score that is 7 points higher than their avg and much higher GPA). As a CA resident if you don't get into CA state school its private school for the applicant 9/10 times.

Yep I'm pretty much in the same position as you (3.8/30 from CA).

hey noggin i was just wondering could u give me a few schools that would be considered safe considering our mcat and gpa is practically the same?

Yep I'm pretty much in the same position as you (3.8/30 from CA).