Ethics dilemma Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lordman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
*mind blown* is this a real practice question? I would say B. Technically, taking part in research is different than taking OCPs for personal reasons.

I cant imagine this would be a real step 1 question ever, because this is a very specific situation.

If there is an answer given, I'd love to know what it is

Reactions: 1 user
Agree that this is an odd question. Not really sure, but sounds like B is probably right.

If a minor wants the OCP, we can keep that confidential from the parents.

But if we add the study on top of it, parental permission would likely be required for that type of decision-making.

Imagine a 14-yr-old on the OCP consenting to a research study on her own. I don't think so.

Thanks guys. Yeah it's mind blowing. Answer was not provided. Seems there is a consensus on B :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. Yeah it's mind blowing. Answer was not provided. Seems there is a consensus on B :)
I'll use this as a great opportunity to emphasize--not all practice questions should be construed as within the scope of the actual NBME. Being able to separate "fact from fiction" in terms of what can ACTUALLY be on the test is one of the hardest things for exam candidates--and also one of the most important to your success. I know @Phloston would agree

My vote is C. I got a question on my Peds shelf where you had to know that pediatric research necessitates consent from both parents (not just one) and pediatric assent/permission. Source: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/learningabout/patientsafety/childrensassent

There may be cases where only one parent is necessary if the study in question is extremely benign, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

I think the fact that we're talking about OCP's is irrelevant, and is just to distract you from the question of pediatric research ethics.

Reactions: 2 users
Great link you've posted there @kirbymiester.

Agree with @ChessMaster3000 that discerning "fact from fiction" in terms of what will actually show up is not only important but also annoying. Kaplan is probably the best example of an overblown fantasy/orgy fest, conflating general medical knowledge with USMLE material. That's why I did like 2-300 Qs from their 2CK QBank before jettisoning it and never looking back. But it's not just Kaplan, Rx and UWorld are guilty enough themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys. But what about if it's just an observational prospective study (not trial)? Do you still need consent from both parents? @kirbymiester

BTW: It's a real practice question!

Thanks guys. But what about if it's just an observational prospective study (not trial)? Do you still need consent from both parents? @kirbymiester

BTW: It's a real practice question!

Wow. I'd still stick with C if I received that question because the logic that mandates parental consent in clinical trials for minors should still apply no matter what the study setup is (as long as the subjects have to consciously enroll and aren't just de-identified data points).

Tough stuff. I don't know what they expect from us when it's basically impossible to find an explicit answer anywhere.