Ethics, do we report spouse abuse?? thank you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sadaca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know we report elderly and child abuse. But theres a fine line for spouse abuse, anyone know what to do for STEP 1 purposes in terms of spouse abuse? CF 100 cases says don't report it but old UW says do report. Anyone know for sure??

thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think that unless the spouse's life is in danger, you don't report it. You can offer materials/support (eg shelter number, social worker contact), but reporting it to the authorities is probably off limits.

Reactions: 4 users
I think that unless the spouse's life is in danger, you don't report it. You can offer materials/support (eg shelter number, social worker contact), but reporting it to the authorities is probably off limits.

Unless it's a young person abusing an elderly spouse.. I think geriatric abuse must always be reported (like child abuse).

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I've seen this many times in the real world, you DO NOT REPORT spouse abuse (you offer help/support and shelters/info, and you can help them with reaching out if they themselves want to contact the police.) Sad, but true...

Child abuse = always
Elder abuse = grey zone

Grey zone? I thought u always reported elder abuse

For spouses, I was under the impression u never report. I guess if ur pt is the abuser and he or she says I'm gonna kill my spouse, then ud report, hold the pt involuntarily and warn the spouse.

No, I've seen this many times in the real world, you DO NOT REPORT spouse abuse (you offer help/support and shelters/info, and you can help them with reaching out if they themselves want to contact the police.) Sad, but true...

Child abuse = always
Elder abuse = grey zone

There's no real grey zone for elder abuse. It must be reported.

Reactions: 1 users