Ethics of CONVERTING Terminal Patients

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tchaikovsky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ethical to convert a patient with a terminal illness?

It seems that the central model of end of life care is patient happiness (as is all of medicine). Hypothetically, if a patient believed they were going to "heaven" or a better place rather than going to the morgue and being melted by entropy, they would be happier. I mean, a sense of satisfaction, comfort, and the release of endorphins, vs fear, anxiety, sadness, regret would seem to be more ethical.

Conversion probably crosses professional lines, however isn't it the duty of physicians to find better ways of relieving pain?

Ignorance is bliss

Members don't see this ad.

you can't convert a patient. It is unethical as their care provider. If they asks you about your faith then you can tell them about it. Otherwise, leave religion out of it.

Let's assume your elderly mother is gravely ill. No amount of praying to God has resulted in any improvement. She's emotionally and physically weakened. Then comes a doctor that she had trusted with her LIFE and he tells her about his religion which could be Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc... Do you think it's ethical that doctor should convert your mom to his religion?

BTW "Ignorance is bliss" seems to me to be an excuse for not confronting your problems straight on.

Last edited:
This thread made me laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a law against it? If not I would gladly share the gospel with a dying patient.

Nobody cares.

Moving on . . .

If the patient is interested in the doctor's religion, then I don't see a problem for the physician to talk about it. However, given the emotional vulnerabilty of the patient at that juncture, it can be exploitative and harassing if the patient is not interested in conversion or if it was the physician that brought up the subject. I would be very careful about this. Near the end of life, many families look towards their religion for solace. It is highly disruptive and cruel to force a religious separation between patients and their families.

If the patient is interested in the doctor's religion, then I don't see a problem for the physician to talk about it. However, given the emotional vulnerabilty of the patient at that juncture, it can be exploitative and harassing if the patient is not interested in conversion or if it was the physician that brought up the subject. I would be very careful about this. Near the end of life, many families look towards their religion for solace. It is highly disruptive and cruel to force a religious separation between patients and their families.

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

@Tired, if your not going to say something constructive, why post at all? SOME people care

@Tired, if your not going to say something constructive, why post at all? SOME people care

Judging by the post count in the this thread, I'd say you're a touch off base.

And to clarify: This is obviously a troll thread. The few people who really believe that converting others to their religion even on their death beds don't ask for opinions as to the ethics of the practice.

This thread was designed to spur righteous indignation from the large numbers of knee-jerk pseudo-liberal premeds who populate SDN.

Judging by the post count in the this thread, I'd say you're a touch off base.

And to clarify: This is obviously a troll thread. The few people who really believe that converting others to their religion even on their death beds don't ask for opinions as to the ethics of the practice.

This thread was designed to spur righteous indignation from the large numbers of knee-jerk pseudo-liberal premeds who populate SDN.

uncalled for... T-T

No one here has said that they think it is ethical and many people think it is so unethical as to be an absurd question. I think that is a resounding "no" overall.

When my father (not really religious) died one of the things that upset him most was the "what if" stuff that came up after he was offered a visit with the hospital chaplain. He would have been even more upset if someone had tried to convert him on his deathbed. Free will still means something, I guess.

Hey guys, so my cousin (christian) converted my dad (terminal cancer).
me (undecided)

I don't know what to think...

o well, in the end my question doesn't matter. You were right, Tired (but you're still a bastard :laugh:)

Well, if they are not a DNR and they are in a shockable rhythm, I'd say you are obligated to try and convert them; you know, ACLS standards and all.

"Okay, set for 200 joules and shock."

"Clear!"

What's on the monitor guys?"

"It looks like...Gnosticism?

Last edited:
Well, if they are not a DNR and they are in a shockable rhythm, I'd say you are obligated to try and convert them; you know, ACLS standards and all.

lol, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the title of the thread.

Why wouldn't you cardiovert someone that had terminal illness? Maybe if they were gorked and on a ventillator.

2259196860_b025f21a8a_o.jpg

"We're in the business of saving lives!"