Ethics Question for Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sealion311

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am kind of confused on an ethics issue.

In the case of a child with highly suspected bacterial meningitis, and the parents refuse an LP, after persuading the parents to try and change their mind do you
a) go ahead and do it beacsue meningitis is life-threatening to the child and also contagious to the community
b) contact the courts first

There are differing opinions in CRUSH USMLE and Comquest. I tend to agree with choice a)... but any takers to respond to this tricky one?

Members don't see this ad.

I have always heard in situations like those you have to get a court order first. You can not force treatment or diagnostic tests on an individual or a child if the guardian does not consent without the courts becoming involved.

I am kind of confused on an ethics issue.

In the case of a child with highly suspected bacterial meningitis, and the parents refuse an LP, after persuading the parents to try and change their mind do you
a) go ahead and do it beacsue meningitis is life-threatening to the child and also contagious to the community
b) contact the courts first

There are differing opinions in CRUSH USMLE and Comquest. I tend to agree with choice a)... but any takers to respond to this tricky one?

I'm pretty sure that if you tell me that you're going to shove a huge ass needle in my kids back after I have told you not to, you and I are going to have words that will be of the physically stopping you kind. If you're going to override the rights of a parent, you better have a court order and a police officer with you before you go back into that patient's room.

Ethics aside, there is a personal safety issue here. If you're stupid, you're going to get punched. Best to have security with you when it happens.