Ethics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OPTNOVA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I've always had flexible morality. I feel that I can decide which rules should be followed and which can be ignored. My parents recently found out that I had lied to them about my grades at college. I told this self serving lie (printed up fake grades and the whole deal), to get them off my back a little. My grades were ok with a few Cs and I turned them into straight As. My overall GPA is still fine. I felt that they're constant interference with my academic life was putting undue stress on me and hurting my grades. Conversations more than a few times a week about how are your grades is excessive. While I tried to reason with them they still feel like they should have a copy of my test schedule and live and die with every grade that I make.

OK. My question is that they have now been pushing me and getting they're friends to call me and convince me not to be an optometrist. They feel that the foundation to being a good healthcare provider is trust. Without that trust they claim that I will be a horrible doctor. I still have a strong desire to be an optometrist and this has not changed my opinion, but I think it raised an interesting question. Can someone be a successful and good optometrist with flexible morality? I will reserve my opinion until a few responses are up.

Members don't see this ad.