Europe trained, US resident, trying to determine next career move, MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hebbian

Hebb
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help, it has been 3 months out of grad school and I am lost like never before (first three months of my life with nothing to do).
Situation:
1) Undergrad in psychology with a specialization in neuropsychology. (Degree obtained in Spain, solely focusing in psych courses).
2) Masters in neuroscience research at Vrije University in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
3) Rotated in 4 different labs University of Richmond (U.S.), University of Deusto (Spain), Vrije University (The Netherlands) and Harvard (U.S.)
---- In my last 2 years of master I have determined I really enjoy animal and behavioral research, but I miss working with patients (specifically I miss the time when I did a 6 month clinical rotation at a pediatric hospital during my undergrad). Thus, I concluded I want to do clinical work but also continue with research. This lead me to think about MD/PhD. But!
1. I have not taken any physics or chemistry since high school - terrified about mcat
2. While my grades were good in Europe, I don't think my GPA translates well for the US
3. My husband works in New York, and looking at programs in N.Y. they all look extremely competitive and hard to get in.
---- Should I forget about the MD/PhD and just go for a PhD in I don't know what or work for a pharma company?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting into an American MD or MD/PhD program is likely to be a long, difficult, and expensive road for you. Most schools will expect to see several years of coursework in the US, including a year of physics and two of chem, as well as US clinical experience. It could be four or five years before you even started a program--are you able and willing to take this kind of time?

It sounds like you'd be a competitive applicant for a position in industry. If nothing else, a thorough search for jobs would show you what your options are and whether further training would be beneficial to you. A PhD is certainly also possible, but I wouldn't advise starting one unless you're totally committed and have a clear career plan going in. Keep in mind also that the tenure-track jobs just aren't there (either here or in Europe), as has been thoroughly discussed on these boards and elsewhere.

I know that these can be tough decisions--best of luck to you.

PA programs might be a good option to do clinical work and clinical research

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your advice.
Certainly it looks like going for med school might be too much for the time I am willing to spend before my next move.
Psychology PhD was also among my thoughts. But all the programs I looked at in New York are too psychoanalisis and therapy oriented, and I am not that kind of person.
Conclusion, PA or working for industry will be best for me.

Thanks!