European PhD in psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderboy123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm doing my masters at a highly ranked institution. I have high grades and a good amount of experiences. I also have good letters from established psychology professors. I want to do my doctorate in clinical psychology in Europe. I plan on living there the rest of my life . I want to attain full funding. How can I go about this? Do I still have to take the GRE ? Has anyone here done this?

Thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Each European country has their own version of clinical psychology, licensure, admissions requirements, entrance exams, funding, etc.

And immigrating to the EU is not easy at all these days unless you marry a foreign national.

The application process is very different from the US. My understanding is that prior to applying, you have to initiate contact with your potential advisors expressing your interest in their work. If they are interested in you, they will encourage you to apply. This doesn't mean you are in, it just means that you've made it to the next step. The application involves writing a research proposal specific to their lab, which is very different from a statement of purpose.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which country in Europe? In UK for example, a PhD in Clinical Psychology doesn't give you the right to get licensed to practice. You will need to attend the DClinPsy course.

I'm thinking about a Phd in clinical psych from germany

I'm interested in studying in Germany full scholarship with a phd in clinical psychology. Does anyone have any information on this process? What are the Phd psychology programs like over there? Thank you so much for your time!!

well, first the courses are taught in German so you should probably be fluent in both conversational and technical German.

A PhD is insufficient to get licensed. You'll need a Diploma Psychology or whatever they call it.

In 2011, the German put a freeze on new psychology licenses.

I would expect someone who wants to immigrate to a foreign country would have the time and resources to investigate all of these matters.

well, first the courses are taught in German so you should probably be fluent in both conversational and technical German.

A PhD is insufficient to get licensed. You'll need a Diploma Psychology or whatever they call it.

In 2011, the German put a freeze on new psychology licenses.

I would expect someone who wants to immigrate to a foreign country would have the time and resources to investigate all of these matters.
Thank

A colleague from Germany who came to the USA to complete her doctoral training told me she applied to German PhD programs and she did not get accepted. In Germany the PhD is more experimental academic psychology and the MS Diploma is more for practitioners. She wants to return to Germany but contends there are limited options for psychologist. She hold dual citizenship now and was wanting to get on with one of the agencies that contract with military bases in Germany so she can work under her U.S. License as she was not approved for psychologist licensure in Germany.

Last edited:

Sorry ! Was typing from phone.

Thank you PSYDR for your prompt response. Do you have any advice for getting into a Phd program without having to take the GRE? I'm willing to go to a European country to do the phd there. I would love to do a clinical or counseling psychology phd. I'm getting my masters at a top ranked clincal psychology institution if that helps me on the process. I have everything going for me but the GRE has stood in my way.

Thanks for your time !

Your idea has several problems as I see it:

1) A PhD in psychology from an EU country is not going to be equivalent to a PhD from the USA. There are different educational models at work and most of them do not lead to being licensed as a psychologist.

2) Most EU countries are going to have instruction in their native language. In the UK/Ireland this is not such a big problem. In Iceland, you are hosed unless they finally admit they are just talking funny and really speak English when everyone leaves. If you think about your current graduate work, you'll understand why a person learning a new language would produce a work product which would result in a failing grade in grad school.

3) Most EU PhD program positions are reserved for EU students both by law, funding, and the PIs want to know the student.

4) Most psychology licensing laws in the EU require language proficiency. Some include a test. Some include two tests.

5) Even if you get into a program, and successfully immigrate, practice opportunities are limited. See Germany's license restrictions, Dutch exclusion of healthcare professionals in immigration treaties, and Irish medical school not allowing foreign medical grads to apply for residency spots.

6) Immigration is unlikely. The EU is going through both an economic crisis and an immigration crisis. Unemployment rates have skyrocketed, especially in the youth. And there have been many refugees from Africa and eastern Europe which have come to the EU. The EU members are generally restricting the hell out of immigration as a result. The UK has drastically changed its immigration points system in the last 10 years. Ireland has made their minimum net worth to around $2 mil.

If you really want to live in the EU for a while, you could go to Polish or Irish medical school. However, this is not great for a medical career and then apply to non competitive psychaitry spots. If you intend to immigrate, then psychology is not going to do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have any advice for getting into a Phd program without having to take the GRE? I'm willing to go to a European country to do the phd there. I would love to do a clinical or counseling psychology phd. I'm getting my masters at a top ranked clincal psychology institution if that helps me on the process. I have everything going for me but the GRE has stood in my way.

Let's take a step back. Why do you want to do your degree in a European country? Are you from Europe or are you currently studying in Europe? Is it simply to avoid the GRE? Because if avoidance of the GRE is your main motivation for wanting to pursue a degree abroad, I think you may be chasing the wrong animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your idea has several problems as I see it:

1) A PhD in psychology from an EU country is not going to be equivalent to a PhD from the USA. There are different educational models at work and most of them do not lead to being licensed as a psychologist.

2) Most EU countries are going to have instruction in their native language. In the UK/Ireland this is not such a big problem. In Iceland, you are hosed unless they finally admit they are just talking funny and really speak English when everyone leaves. If you think about your current graduate work, you'll understand why a person learning a new language would produce a work product which would result in a failing grade in grad school.

3) Most EU PhD program positions are reserved for EU students both by law, funding, and the PIs want to know the student.

4) Most psychology licensing laws in the EU require language proficiency. Some include a test. Some include two tests.

5) Even if you get into a program, and successfully immigrate, practice opportunities are limited. See Germany's license restrictions, Dutch exclusion of healthcare professionals in immigration treaties, and Irish medical school not allowing foreign medical grads to apply for residency spots.

6) Immigration is unlikely. The EU is going through both an economic crisis and an immigration crisis. Unemployment rates have skyrocketed, especially in the youth. And there have been many refugees from Africa and eastern Europe which have come to the EU. The EU members are generally restricting the hell out of immigration as a result. The UK has drastically changed its immigration points system in the last 10 years. Ireland has made their minimum net worth to around $2 mil.

If you really want to live in the EU for a while, you could go to Polish or Irish medical school. However, this is not great for a medical career and then apply to non competitive psychaitry spots. If you intend to immigrate, then psychology is not going to do it.
PSYDR, thank you so much for your thorough and prompt response. You have greatly helped me and given me guidance. Blessings!!!

Let's take a step back. Why do you want to do your degree in a European country? Are you from Europe or are you currently studying in Europe? Is it simply to avoid the GRE? Because if avoidance of the GRE is your main motivation for wanting to pursue a degree abroad, I think you may be chasing the wrong animal.
Hi, psychscience,

I have been out of school for many, many years. I work full time and want to start my life somewhere new. Teaching myself all this old math and concepts seems impossible under all the daily life stressors I have. I'm struggling and fighting for my dream to become a psychologist through whatever means possible. I also want to live in a new country.

If I had to choose between planning a relocation to another country or taking the GRE all over again, I'd find the latter much less stressful!! In any case, as PSYDR explained, the likelihood of entering a new country as a PhD student on a full ride seems extremely low. The exception would be Canada, where the training model is very similar to the US model, but even then those slots are few and extremely competitive.

I noticed that elsewhere you have posted that you don't want to pursue a PhD. It sounds like you want out of whatever you're doing right now but you're not really sure what that should look like. It seems worthwhile to explore what you'd like to be doing in your day-to-day life and look for the path of least resistance to getting there, rather than romanticize the doctoral degree or a life abroad. Tell us more and we might be able to help.

Hi, psychscience,

I have been out of school for many, many years. I work full time and want to start my life somewhere new. Teaching myself all this old math and concepts seems impossible under all the daily life stressors I have. I'm struggling and fighting for my dream to become a psychologist through whatever means possible. I also want to live in a new country.

I can appreciate your desire to live abroad, but I think it’s important to keep in perspective two key pieces of information if your end goal really is a PhD in clinical/counseling psychology (1) As PsyDr pointed out, you face a number of obstacles that would prevent you from realistically getting into a doctoral program in Europe, let alone one that is funded. If you were an EU citizen, this would likely be a non-issue, but otherwise, as an international student you will face enormous difficulties gaining admission, let alone obtaining the scholarships to pay for your education. These hurdles far outnumber any barriers related to studying for the GRE. (2) Even if you were able to get into a program, it’s not likely that it would allow you to practice in the same way that a PhD in Clinical Psychology here would (assuming that is why you want to attend such a program in the first place).

Again, as previously stated, doctoral level psychology training in Europe is just not a realistic path to being a practitioner or clinician in Europe.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Hello there,

I'm doing my masters at a highly ranked institution. I have high grades and a good amount of experiences. I also have good letters from established psychology professors. I want to do my doctorate in clinical psychology in Europe. I plan on living there the rest of my life . I want to attain full funding. How can I go about this? Do I still have to take the GRE ? Has anyone here done this?

Thank you for your time!
Hi there,

I am from Europe and know the UK system very well for applying to doctoral programs in clinical psychology as it was once something I considered myself. I am now actually going to start one in the US (as an international student). I can only comment on the UK system but you do not need the GRE to apply for these programs or any graduate programs in general. The UK doctorate for clinical psychology is a professional doctorate en par with the PsyD in the US called the ' DClinPsych' you apply through the UK Clearing House for postgraduates. As far as I know you can only select four programs. Unless, you have the right to work in the UK then you will not be offered a funded place however, you may be offered a non-funded place if you have your own funding. See this link for non-funded programs for international students: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicInternationalFunding.html
There is also one PhD program specifically in clinical psychology that I know of in Manchester where they welcome international students. But you will not be able to practice as this is a purely research degree. See this link for more info. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/p...rogrammes/list/02948/clinical-psychology-phd/

Someone mentioned that you apply to a potential adviser and that this is the first step but that is not the case for clinical psychology in the UK at least. However, if you were interested in a research only PhD in psychology then yes, you would definitely need to contact them. It is very competitive to get into the clinical programs as they are well funded and like the US, there are very few spots. It is not uncommon to do a research PhD first and then apply to the clinical programs (both are three years approx. in duration). Something to consider. It is not impossible to pursue this route in Europe in your position but you have to very outstanding in some way to have a shot as there are so many qualified applicants in Europe too. Sorry I cannot comment on Germany or any other country in Europe but the UK and Ireland are, I think, the only countries that require a doctorate to practice-which in my opinion makes them better and more respectable training programs.

Good luck!

Another one of my colleague had her doctorate degree in psychology from England. Her degree was not considered equivalent to USA PhD and she was going to have to take a number of courses, a dissertation, and a full year internship, pass the EPPP to become a licensed psychologist. The Texas Board of Psychology approved a re-specialization plan and she was approved to complete her plan at TWU Counseling Psychology program. She had to take stats and research methods and did not pass these courses. They were able to develop a plan where she eventually became licensed as an LPC in Texas.

If I had to choose between planning a relocation to another country or taking the GRE all over again, I'd find the latter much less stressful!! In any case, as PSYDR explained, the likelihood of entering a new country as a PhD student on a full ride seems extremely low. The exception would be Canada, where the training model is very similar to the US model, but even then those slots are few and extremely competitive.

I noticed that elsewhere you have posted that you don't want to pursue a PhD. It sounds like you want out of whatever you're doing right now but you're not really sure what that should look like. It seems worthwhile to explore what you'd like to be doing in your day-to-day life and look for the path of least resistance to getting there, rather than romanticize the doctoral degree or a life abroad. Tell us more and we might be able to help.

Hi, MamaPHD,

Psychology has always been my passion. I love to talk to people and help others. I want to give therapy, conduct research, and raise awareness of mental health issues. I have test anxiety and the GRE is standing in my way. Math is a killer for me. I have trouble concentrating and understanding the material. I'm looking for ways to approach this obstacle. This is a huge stressor for me. I admire people who have been out of school for many years and get through to the Phd, regardless of the GRE. Thank you for your time.

Hi there,

I am from Europe and know the UK system very well for applying to doctoral programs in clinical psychology as it was once something I considered myself. I am now actually going to start one in the US (as an international student). I can only comment on the UK system but you do not need the GRE to apply for these programs or any graduate programs in general. The UK doctorate for clinical psychology is a professional doctorate en par with the PsyD in the US called the ' DClinPsych' you apply through the UK Clearing House for postgraduates. As far as I know you can only select four programs. Unless, you have the right to work in the UK then you will not be offered a funded place however, you may be offered a non-funded place if you have your own funding. See this link for non-funded programs for international students: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/BasicInternationalFunding.html
There is also one PhD program specifically in clinical psychology that I know of in Manchester where they welcome international students. But you will not be able to practice as this is a purely research degree. See this link for more info. http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/p...rogrammes/list/02948/clinical-psychology-phd/

Someone mentioned that you apply to a potential adviser and that this is the first step but that is not the case for clinical psychology in the UK at least. However, if you were interested in a research only PhD in psychology then yes, you would definitely need to contact them. It is very competitive to get into the clinical programs as they are well funded and like the US, there are very few spots. It is not uncommon to do a research PhD first and then apply to the clinical programs (both are three years approx. in duration). Something to consider. It is not impossible to pursue this route in Europe in your position but you have to very outstanding in some way to have a shot as there are so many qualified applicants in Europe too. Sorry I cannot comment on Germany or any other country in Europe but the UK and Ireland are, I think, the only countries that require a doctorate to practice-which in my opinion makes them better and more respectable training programs.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your informative post. I really appreciate it. So helpful. Blessings !!!

Another one of my colleague had her doctorate degree in psychology from England. Her degree was not considered equivalent to USA PhD and she was going to have to take a number of courses, a dissertation, and a full year internship, pass the EPPP to become a licensed psychologist. The Texas Board of Psychology approved a re-specialization plan and she was approved to complete her plan at TWU Counseling Psychology program. She had to take stats and research methods and did not pass these courses. They were able to develop a plan where she eventually became licensed as an LPC in Texas.
Interesting. Thank you for time!

Psychology has always been my passion. I love to talk to people and help others. I want to give therapy, conduct research, and raise awareness of mental health issues. I have test anxiety and the GRE is standing in my way. Math is a killer for me. I have trouble concentrating and understanding the material. I'm looking for ways to approach this obstacle. This is a huge stressor for me. I admire people who have been out of school for many years and get through to the Phd, regardless of the GRE. Thank you for your time.

It makes sense to start tackling your test/math anxiety now. Since you're in a master's program, perhaps you have some resources available through your institution's counseling center?