Evaluating possible experience, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shrinkgirl15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I want to apply to PsyD programs in two years. Right now I have a chance to work with a psychologist who is a partner at a tech start-up. The start-up specializes in building tools to evaluate and quantify users' emotional experiences. These tools are then used by various places like hospitals, etc. to measure patients' pain levels. I'm meeting with him to learn more, but he's looking for an executive assistant to help with, among other things, data entry. He's also aware of my interest in psychology and has promised to be a mentor in that regard (he has a clinical practice as well).

My question is: Would this experience, from the little bit of what you know about it, look good on my PsyD application? Or is this too entrepreneurial to really interest PsyD admissions committees? Any questions I should focus on asking him during our chat?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask about opportunities to do more than data entry. One thing that comes to my mind is helping with whatever research needs to be done whether for testing or for marketing purposes. For example, at a treatment program we used a lot of hands on activities and shortened class time. We saw that benefitted students. One task I had was to cite the relevant research for promotional purposes. I was actually surprise by how little there was and I set a goal for generating our own research in that area, but knew that I would have to hire someone to spearhead that work. Of course, I was thinking more of a postdoctoral type person but it would be good to ask this psychologist what needs he or she anticipates down the road.

That's a good point, smalltownpsych. Thanks! I'll ask him about more opportunities he might be willing to trust me with. And taking the lead and making those opportunities is a great idea as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I want to apply to PsyD programs in two years. Right now I have a chance to work with a psychologist who is a partner at a tech start-up. The start-up specializes in building tools to evaluate and quantify users' emotional experiences. These tools are then used by various places like hospitals, etc. to measure patients' pain levels. I'm meeting with him to learn more, but he's looking for an executive assistant to help with, among other things, data entry. He's also aware of my interest in psychology and has promised to be a mentor in that regard (he has a clinical practice as well).

My question is: Would this experience, from the little bit of what you know about it, look good on my PsyD application? Or is this too entrepreneurial to really interest PsyD admissions committees? Any questions I should focus on asking him during our chat?

If you learn little more than punching buttons and organizing spread sheets, doesn't seem like its worth it/necessary.

If you learn little more than punching buttons and organizing spread sheets, doesn't seem like its worth it/necessary.

To be fair, everyone has to do a little of the menial stuff as a lab assistant. We once had an undergrad who volunteered, when I asked her to do some data entry in addition to running subjects, she told me that since she was a volunteer, she only wanted to run subjects and didn't feel like she had to do administrative tasks. I "fired" her on the spot.

To be fair, everyone has to do a little of the menial stuff as a lab assistant. We once had an undergrad who volunteered, when I asked her to do some data entry in addition to running subjects, she told me that since she was a volunteer, she only wanted to run subjects and didn't feel like she had to do administrative tasks. I "fired" her on the spot.
Yep. Sometimes it is about getting a foot in the door. If it doesn't start leading to more, then you can always keep looking for a better opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

I think it sounds like a good opportunity to get involved in something that can lead to further opportunities and relationships down the road. It is often difficult to gain clinical experience prior to graduate school. I had an internship during undergrad that began with less stimulating work but turned into more responsibilities and learning experiences once I got to know my supervisor and the practice. I've been working there full time since I graduated and I plan on staying until I start my PsyD program in the fall. The mentoring relationship sounds helpful too and since this is somewhat of a unique opportunity, maybe this will help you stand out during the application process.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful responses! I've decided to have a meeting with him and find out more. Fingers crossed it turns into something great! :)

Reactions: 1 user