ever consider law b4 dental school or now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone consider law school before or during dental school as a career choice, i was in med school, had to take a leave of absence due to illness, now i am getting older and have so much financial obligations that i was considering law school because of its shorter route. Anyone consider law as a career before or during med school, whats the pros and cons of law school in your opinion, anyone have spouses or friends that are lawyers, how do they like it and how financially secure is it. Any real advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

MD2b20004 said:
anyone consider law school before or during dental school as a career choice, i was in med school, had to take a leave of absence due to illness, now i am getting older and have so much financial obligations that i was considering law school because of its shorter route. Anyone consider law as a career before or during med school, whats the pros and cons of law school in your opinion, anyone have spouses or friends that are lawyers, how do they like it and how financially secure is it. Any real advice would be appreciated

Law is not a good career choice for financial reasons, imo. Too many lawyers are being produced. A neighbor of mine left law school and now makes ~50,000 for 8 years of school, not worth it.

Pros: 1. If you can get into a good school and graduate at the top of your class you are looking at a pretty hefty income. 2. If you ever become a partner, life is sweeeet.

Cons: 1. Loooong hours. 2. Most lawyers end up filing bankruptcies, divorces and looking up real estate laws for $50,000/yr. 3. You will be a lawyer.

I've never actually considered a career in law, but this is reliable information I have gleaned from reading John Grisham novels. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Law school sounds pretty painful...like the part where they take out your backbone....

I can't wait to start law school. :) I don't know when that will happen, though. Ideally I should take the 3 years off prior to starting in clinic, but it's too late for that.

I'm afraid that if I start up after graduating I"ll forget much of skills I've obtained, so it appears that my only feasible option is to wait and do it at a much later time.

ItsGavinC said:
I can't wait to start law school. :) I don't know when that will happen, though. Ideally I should take the 3 years off prior to starting in clinic, but it's too late for that.

I'm afraid that if I start up after graduating I"ll forget much of skills I've obtained, so it appears that my only feasible option is to wait and do it at a much later time.

Why are you choosing the law when you are on the verge of a dental degree?

edkNARF said:
Why are you choosing the law when you are on the verge of a dental degree?

Good question. I'm not "choosing" law, I just want to have my law degree for the heck of it. I'd never think of practicing it and don't plan on putting dentistry on the back burner.

ItsGavinC said:
Good question. I'm not "choosing" law, I just want to have my law degree for the heck of it. I'd never think of practicing it and don't plan on putting dentistry on the back burner.

May I ask why? Law school is not a small undertaking, and I don't think people just get them "for the heck of it [sic]."

edkNARF said:
May I ask why? Law school is not a small undertaking, and I don't think people just get them "for the heck of it [sic]."

I actually don't think it's that big of an undertaking at all. Mostly lots of reading and application of logical thinking. I was an English major, so it's right up my alley.

BTW, what is the "[sic]" for?
:)

MD2b20004 said:

my bro is a lawyer out of harvard. he graduated a few years ago and he makes considerably more (high 100K + bonuses) than what i expect to make in my first few years out. partners can make make into the millions annually, which sure is not the norm for most dentists. On the other hand he works crazy hours and is always saying how miserable he is. he thinks he might be able to squeeze 2 days off for christmas this year. i wouldnt do anything just because its a "shorter route". I am more concerned with the quality of the rest of my life as compared to just the few miserable years spent I ve spent in school.

ItsGavinC said:
I actually don't think it's that big of an undertaking at all. Mostly lots of reading and application of logical thinking. I was an English major, so it's right up my alley.

BTW, what is the "[sic]" for?
:)

"Sic" is latin for thus. It used in a bracket following a statement to show that the phrase quoted is a word-for-word reproduction. I felt it was unnecessary to use the quotation function to affirm that you were planning on getting a law degree "for the heck of it."

edkNARF said:
"Sic" is latin for thus. It used in a bracket following a statement to show that the phrase quoted is a word-for-word reproduction. I felt it was unnecessary to use the quotation function to affirm that you were planning on getting a law degree "for the heck of it."
You really like demonstrating your knowledge of Latin, don't you? ;)

MD2b20004 said:
If you got yourself into the health care field due to financial obligations or reasons, then I am sorry to say that you wasted your time. Especially since there are so many other ways to make a decent buck in this country. Let's just say that choosing "law" over dentistry and medicine is pretty extreme, and it just shows that you don't know what direction you want to take in your life

edkNARF said:

Yet your use is improper. Modern usage denotes that "[sic]" is used to quote a word-for-word reproduction when there is an error in the quote, thereby attributing the error to the original author, and not to the one quoting the author.

Further, you put my words in quotation marks, which would disallow for the usage of [sic] by your own definition.

drillerNfiller said:
my bro is a lawyer out of harvard. he graduated a few years ago and he makes considerably more (high 100K + bonuses) than what i expect to make in my first few years out. partners can make make into the millions annually, which sure is not the norm for most dentists. On the other hand he works crazy hours and is always saying how miserable he is. he thinks he might be able to squeeze 2 days off for christmas this year. i wouldnt do anything just because its a "shorter route". I am more concerned with the quality of the rest of my life as compared to just the few miserable years spent I ve spent in school.

I would equate working at a large law firm to playing in the NFL. No guaranteed contracts and the average career is short. Very few make it to glory (partnership) to ever reap those large payouts. At the largest firms in NY, DC, Chi, Bos, etc., each first year associate has about a 5% chance of making partner at that particular firm. Them's not good odds. The financial structure of firms (leveraged) creates a disincentive for admitting new members to the partnership ranks unless they bring a lot to the table in terms of business. It is a rough game, to be certain.

ItsGavinC said:
Yet your use is improper. Modern usage denotes that "[sic]" is used to quote a word-for-word reproduction when there is an error in the quote, thereby attributing the error to the original author, and not to the one quoting the author.

Further, you put my words in quotation marks, which would disallow for the usage of [sic] by your own definition.

I belived your statement that getting a law degree "for the heck of it" was extreme. I wanted to show that these were your exact words. It is my understanding that quotations are necessary to use sic. I could be wrong though, I will call an old english professor to make sure I used it correctly.

edkNARF said:
I belived your statement that getting a law degree "for the heck of it" was extreme. I wanted to show that these were your exact words. It is my understanding that quotations are necessary to use sic. I could be wrong though, I will call an old english professor to make sure I used it correctly.

You used it incorrectly because nothing was spelled wrong in my remarks (there weren't any errors). Like I said, [sic] is used to show that the errors in your quote are that of the original author, and not typos or misspellings by the person doing the quoting.

You can't use [sic] without quotations, by definition of [sic], but that doesn't mean you always use it when you quote someone. You only use it when there are errors in the grammar of the quote.

...back to the law school & dental school subject.

I know of several SDNers who are taking time away from *medical* school to get law degrees, but I don't now of any dental students doing so.

One med student who attends back east, was given the 3 years after the first two years of medical school, and his medical school is very supportive of his earning a law degree.

Damn, you guys lost me! sic THIS!