Evms MM 2013-Future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freddo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All -

Dr. Midlife recommended that a new thread should be started for EVMS MM due to the changes in class size, curriculum, and the program in general. That's what this thread will be for.

A little info. I'm starting the Medical Master's program in August of this year (2013), so I will be part of the 2013-2014 class. I will try to give random updates about how the program is throughout the year, and give some insight to others who are considering this in the future because I know how helpful that can be. I will also be doing this anonymosly so I will not give out my statistics etc.

This thread should be used for the following years classes as well, to create a sort of database like the previous thread did. It is much more helpful compared to starting a new thread every single year.

Anyways lets hope that not too much has changed.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The retirement of a legend...

:=|:-): DrMidlife

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke to an admissions officer on the 8th of this week. The class size for this year (as of right now) is approximately 70 students. I have no explanation as to why it increased so much or the effects it will have on the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe they over accepted students. people usually change their minds or drop out last minute. website still says 40 people. 40 and 70 is a big difference.

maybe they over accepted students. people usually change their minds or drop out last minute. website still says 40 people. 40 and 70 is a big difference.

It definitely won't be 40. That was our class size, and they're planning on expanding the program at least 10 students every year. 70 would be a big jump, but not unprecedented.

Anyone else waitlisted?

Been on the list for almost two months now :scared:

Anyone from previous years know if the waitlist has moved this close to the beginning of the program?

Last I heard from last year's class, 31 people got into EVMS med and 5 people got into other medical schools.

Anyone know the fate of the last 4 people?

Last I heard from last year's class, 31 people got into EVMS med and 5 people got into other medical schools.

Anyone know the fate of the last 4 people?

5 people got into other schools

4 ppl either got into medical school during the year and/or did not do well.

If I remember right, 2 people did not do well, thus did not get into a med school.

Hey guys I got a call today about my application being reviewed from the wait list so if you are still waiting to hear back it should be soon. I feel like I was really low on the wait list so idk how many more are left.

Good luck to anyone still waiting!

Hey Freddo,

Mind sharing your stats that got you into the program? The reason I am asking is because my stats pretty much suck. I was a biochem major with a 3.38 cumulative gpa and ~3.0-3.1 science gpa. Graduated in 2011 and volunteered full time at research lab at a private allopathic medical school for 2 years (including holidays and sometimes weekend) all for no pay. I dont know what the f*** I was thinking. Parents are pissed cause its been two years and I got no job, I didnt get into medical school and I still havent been accepted to medical school. The only bright side to the volunteering at this private allopathic medical school is that I got 2 papers published (one third author paper and one first author review paper) and 3 more papers (which are under preparation where I am fourth or fifth author.) Another good side I guess is that my PI's boss is vice dean of the medical school. One person I know got into the medical school because he made a phone call for him. But the that got into medical school worked directly for the vice dean and was waitlisted at the school. In my case the vice dean doesnt know me at all, but my PI is willing to get me a LOR from him. So I will have 3 LORs, one from the Dean, one from my PI and one from my physics professor in undergrad. For clinical experience I have about 40 hrs cardiothoracic surgeon shadowing and 24 hours clinical shadowing at a free health clinic. I have hospitsl volunteering but that was back on high school senior year, so probably wont include that. Intend to volunteer at local hospital in the fall in addition to working somewhere research related (been job hunting for abt 1 month, but still no success landing a job in NYC.) Plan on taking MCAT in Jan about 5.5 months from now, I think that is enough time to score a 30+ with a full time job and hospital volunteering once a week? Really sorry for the long post. Do you guys think I have a chance? what other SMPs should I apply for? I live in new york and dont want to spend more than $30,000 on my masters program :( Thank you for reading my long post, I appreciate it a lot.

EID MUBARAK!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey misplacedshadow. I'm not really good at the whole "can i get in thing". My recommendation is to assume you can and just apply everywhere. Also like I said in my first post I am not giving any of my stats out.

On another note, the size of the 2013-2014 class is officially slated at 66 students. Obviously the speculation has begun about "how many will they let in????". I don't know, and either does anyone else other than maybe the admissions board. All we do know is that changes have been made to the curriculum (Anatomy w/ clinical correlations, and a class that involves practice interviews as well as seeing standardized patients). I'm guessing they want more people to be accepted to other schools this year and have added these classes to make us more competitive applicants.

Anyone have more information on how the program has changed? Also who else is applying for fall 2014? :)

Can you use your GRE score to apply to the program, or you have to take the MCAT?

Last edited:
In my opinion a lot has changed. Do you mind being more specific (so I don't have to type an essay).

Also you need an mcat, not gre

Freddo,

I am applying to EVMS' biomedical master's program this year, hoping to enter this fall. I wasn't able to get any interviews this year because I applied kinda late. I have a 3.3 and a 32 MCAT. I'm an EMT and have done a lot of shadowing. Should I go to this program? Do all students in the program get an automatic interview still?

Do you think I have a shot?

P.S. - what is your first name Freddo? Fred? jw haha

Freddo,

I am applying to EVMS' biomedical master's program this year, hoping to enter this fall. I wasn't able to get any interviews this year because I applied kinda late. I have a 3.3 and a 32 MCAT. I'm an EMT and have done a lot of shadowing. Should I go to this program? Do all students in the program get an automatic interview still?

I am currently in the program. From what I have heard, they are planning on expanding the program to 100+ next year and it is unlikely that they will have guarantee interview spots for all students in the program. I am not 100% sure but they are having hard time finding interview spots for 65 of us this year. I think you should be able to get into the program. Now, Do I recommend this program? that depends on what you are looking for in a SMP. Faculties are great and student body is collaborative. I think they provide good learning environment. No one knows how many students will be getting into EVMS until end of May but program directors are definitely pushing students to apply to other medical schools including DO schools. I think you should apply to other SMPs and decide at the end of May after seeing how many students get into medical schools from EVMS MM.

Wow, 100+ next year? :wideyed: Wonder how that'll affect the number of MM students accepted to EVMS's med school. I find it doubtful that the ~80% rate will still remain.

Good luck to everybody! Does anybody that is applying to this program want to exchange PS for feedback? PM me :)

There are massive amounts of discussion on the changes occurring in this program all throughout this forum, as well as this thread.

Freddo,

As I previously stated, I do not do predictions on whether or not you will gain entry into this program. I'm just a student. This year every student in the program is still receiving an automatic interview during the second semester.

Last edited:
Hello. It's seeming more and more likely that I will not be admitted to medical school this year. I'm on a waitlist but not holding my breath. I've read a lot about this program, and I know about the changes that seem to be happening, but I am still going to apply just to keep my options open. To those who currently attend as medical masters, I have a question. What scares me the most is coming there and not getting good grades and actually hurting my resume. Is this program a sort of "grade inflater" where the majority receive 4.0 or somewhere near that? I would assume that at least half of the people there have nearly straight As. I've read that many masters programs make it hard to do poorly, but don't have as much information on smps. Thank you.

I don't think SMPs in general are not grade inflaters. Well, depends on how you look at it. It is really really hard to get a C in medical school classes, meaning there is a huge range for pass in medical school classes and much narrower range for honors and high pass. Medical Master students get Bs for getting a Pass in medical school courses and get A/A- for Honors/High-Pass. Usually 1/3 of the medical school class gets Honors/High-Pass so you have to work hard to get good grades.

I didn't think about this much before when I was applying to SMPs because I was mainly looking for linkages. But you should really look at each program's curriculum. Through EVMS Medical Masters, you get to take 5 medical school courses and 3 graduate courses. I know other SMPs that offer more medical school courses to SMP students, like 7 or 8 medical school classes during the year. I would recommend that you should consider programs that can offer many medical school classes so that schools would be more impressed when you do well in them.

My impression actually was that it's hard enough where the middle 1/3 definitely isn't getting a 3.8-3.9 GPA. I could be wrong though, but if the top 1/3 are at Honors/High-Pass then the top 1/3 are probably around 3.7-4.0, which would put the middle third lower than a 3.7

On the other hand, does anyone have any updates on how the program is changing for next year's class? I know AntonFreeman and Freddo have both posted about it, but I guess I'd like to know as much as possible to make the best decision I possibly can, so any extra pertinent information would be really appreciated. I'm particularly concerned w/ the shift from getting students into EVMS med to getting students into other schools. Thanks :)

My impression actually was that it's hard enough where the middle 1/3 definitely isn't getting a 3.8-3.9 GPA. I could be wrong though, but if the top 1/3 are at Honors/High-Pass then the top 1/3 are probably around 3.7-4.0, which would put the middle third lower than a 3.7

On the other hand, does anyone have any updates on how the program is changing for next year's class? I know AntonFreeman and Freddo have both posted about it, but I guess I'd like to know as much as possible to make the best decision I possibly can, so any extra pertinent information would be really appreciated. I'm particularly concerned w/ the shift from getting students into EVMS med to getting students into other schools. Thanks :)

Yeah, I don't think middle 1/3 is getting 3.8 to 3.9. For certain classes, it is pretty to hard to get honors. I caution you guys about doing SMPs in general because some students do struggle in SMPs. I am sure everyone starts the program thinking that they will work hard and do well but not everyone does. So if you are in like 3.3-3.4 range GPA, I would recommend that you take few years taking more upper div science or retake MCAT. It is definitely a less risky option.

I suggest that you apply to the program and hold a spot for now if you can. No one knows how many of us will be getting in until end of May. There are 65 of us right now. if they accept 50 of us, then it will be pretty consistent with previous years but who knows? If you are from OOS, and the linkage rate drops significantly, you should consider other programs. I say this because EVMS has not placed many students in MD schools outside of their own like Georgetown or BU. Sure, they have list of schools that previous students have gotten in but those students probably had pretty good numbers to begin with. If EVMS is trying to be like Georgetown or BU, I would be more comfortable going to Georgetown or BU instead since they have much better track record of getting students into other schools, offer more medical school classes and are better recognized. EVMS does consider OOS/IS separately for admissions and it seems like IS students does have easier time getting in. So if you are a VA resident, I think this program is still a good option even if linkage rate drops.

I actually have been accepted and put down my deposit to buy myself more time. I've applied to a couple of other programs and am just waiting on those. I suppose if I don't get into any of them then I won't have much of a decision to make. I guess it's just a waiting game now, for both my other schools and also for May/June when you guys find out how many of you will get into the M1 class.

But yeah, thanks for the advice! Best of luck this semester with both school and MD admission :)

EVMS does consider OOS/IS separately for admissions and it seems like IS students does have easier time getting in. So if you are a VA resident, I think this program is still a good option even if linkage rate drops.

The big issue with this is that it is all hearsay. I have actually heard the opposite of this, that the out of state wait list moves much more/faster meaning that out of state students will get in more quickly. In general, whether from me or anyone else, you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Oh wow well it isn't exactly what I thought it would be. But 1/3 or 33% of people maintaining straight A's is not too shabby either! I feel confident I could be in that top third of students with 4.0's, or at the least I could do middle third and maintain 3.8-3.9 GPA. I will also be sure to apply other places as well though, so I appreciate the advice Anton. It's nice to gain insight from current students.

Keep in mind that it's per class. Even if 30% of the people in each class get an A in that class, it's not likely going to be the same 30% getting an A in every class. I don't think you're doing middle third at any SMP and walking out with a 3.9 gpa.

The big issue with this is that it is all hearsay. I have actually heard the opposite of this, that the out of state wait list moves much more/faster meaning that out of state students will get in more quickly. In general, whether from me or anyone else, you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Yeah, I heard that OOS does move more quickly but there is way more OOS applicants than and IS applicants so it is little easier for IS to get in. There were about 4000 OOS applicants and 800 IS last year. Although OOS waitlist moves faster, they pick students from bigger pool and have more competitive stats than IS waiting list pool.

Last edited:
Question re timing of SMP app: I applied to EVMS this cycle but have not heard back after the secondary was complete, would applying to their SMP now jeopardize my chances for any possible II for their med school this cycle? If so, when should I submit/time my SMP application? Thanks for any advice/comments.

With EVMS seemingly moving to more of a Georgetown/BU model - exactly how useful is it for getting into other medical schools? Being that EVMS is hilariously expensive for OOS this seems like a peculiar strategy.

When EVMS MD decides which students to admit how much weight do they place on SMP vs MCAT vs uGPA?

With EVMS seemingly moving to more of a Georgetown/BU model - exactly how useful is it for getting into other medical schools? Being that EVMS is hilariously expensive for OOS this seems like a peculiar strategy.

When EVMS MD decides which students to admit how much weight do they place on SMP vs MCAT vs uGPA?

I mentioned this in previous post, but we don't know how successful EVMS will be at sending students to other schools because most of students ended up in EVMS previously. Does this mean that previous students didn't get acceptances anywhere else? or even if they did, they stayed at EVMS because they have options to pass out of most 1st year classes. So I would feel more comfortable with going to Georgetown/BU just because there is much more uncertainty at EVMS this year and on. Georgetown/BU have been sending students to other schools historically, and more medical schools are used to seeing students from these programs. No one knows how admission committee decides who gets in and who doesn't but they do judge your entire application along with your grades in the program, and professionalism during your year here. Therefore, in past years, there were students in the program previously who have done well in the program and didn't get in. And there were students who didn't do so well and still managed to get in. EVMS MM is a great program. They have awesome faculties and students are really supportive and friendly. I really enjoyed my time here so far. However, at the end of the day, we all choose to do SMPs to help us get into MD schools and I encourage you guys to research other programs as well and choose a program that can provide you the best chance of getting into medical schools.

How much is the deposit to hold your place? $500 still?

Official stats for 2012/2013 Med Masters (my class):

-40 students were enrolled at the beginning of the year; 2 of these students were accepted to MD schools during 1st semester (UVA and UNC Chapel Hill)
-Out of the 38 remaining students, 5 received acceptances to MD schools other than EVMS; 2 of these students ended up choosing those schools over EVMS
-32 students were given an acceptance to EVMS; 30 ended up matriculating
-The remaining 6 students have had multiple interviews at MD and DO schools this year; at least one of them is already accepted to EVMS and at least 3 have DO acceptances

In short, we're looking at potentially 100% of our class enrolled at MD and DO schools by Fall 2014. Not bad.

But if the class size is going to get bigger, it's not like they can accept everyone to boost their stats like they appeared to have done this time.

But if the class size is going to get bigger, it's not like they can accept everyone to boost their stats like they appeared to have done this time.

I doubt they'll accept more than 30-35 students from here on out. Their goal is to get students into medical school, though. And 40-50% acceptance rate into a host school is pretty darn good compared to other programs out there.

I doubt they'll accept more than 30-35 students from here on out.

They already doubled it for this years current students per the thread, with speculation that they're moving to 100+ next year.

^ I think ynwa0817 was talking about MD admissions from the MM program, not MM program admissions.

"Question re timing of SMP app: I applied to EVMS this cycle but have not heard back after the secondary was complete, would applying to their SMP now jeopardize my chances for any possible II for their med school this cycle? If so, when should I submit/time my SMP application? Thanks for any advice/comments. "

No comments from anyone?

They already doubled it for this years current students per the thread, with speculation that they're moving to 100+ next year.

I meant 30-35 students accepted from the MM program into the MD program. As far as next year, it's looking like the class will be around 80 or so.

Justup: your SMP application will in no way affect the school's decision regarding your MD application. They judge you solely by what's in your AMCAS.

I applied for Fall 2014 start. My app should be complete now but i'm waiting on confirmation.

Freddo,

Now that you're almost done with the program. Can you give us current applicants an in-depth review of the program thus far?
I noticed in another thread you ranked EVMS well behind other SMP programs. I, like others are debating going to this program over similar programs.

Thanks!

Freddo,

Now that you're almost done with the program. Can you give us current applicants an in-depth review of the program thus far?
I noticed in another thread you ranked EVMS well behind other SMP programs. I, like others are debating going to this program over similar programs.

Thanks!

I think most important questions about the status of the program were answered in this thread. Could you be more specific about what you want to know?