EVMS vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

al1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was fortunate to be accepted to two medical schools. I would like some help making the decision, and hopefully quickly so I can remove myself and allow other very deserving applicants to possibly get in off of waitlist/deferred list.

EVMS
- School located in Norfolk Virginia
- Class size of 151
- OOS for me, so cost of tuition is 57,450
- P/F MS1/MS2, with H, HP, P, F as MS3 and MS4
- Optional lectures
- NBME based exams
- Rotations are through the Sentara system, so located very close
- Very community oriented school, many opportunities to help neighboring area through free clinic and community building activity
- Not sure about the research, most likely not their strong suite, but have read that they get some funding here and there.

Drexel
- Although primary school is located in Philadelphia, new campus is in West Redding. Most likely going to the second campus given timing (not sure though).
- Class size of 304
- Tuition is $62,564
- P/F MS1/MS2, with H, HP, P, F as MS3 and MS4
- Flipped classroom
- Exams are not NBME based
- Lottery system for residency, potentially moving around a lot which is not the most desirable.
- 2023 ranking puts it slightly higher than EVMS (88 for Drexel vs 100 for EVMS Research and 90 for Drexel vs 97 for EVMS in Primary Care), though still think that this puts them roughly at the same level.
- Potentially has better research? Not sure about this completely but know that it's important for some specialties

I am beyond grateful to have had an opportunity to interview and be accepted at these schools and would appreciate some help in making decision. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would choose EVMS. Rotations are close by and established. Cheaper tuition is nice. It seems the only thing you came across as a pro for Drexel is the potential for more research.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know much about EVMS, but drexel killed it for residency matching and does have extensive research oppurtunities if you want a competitive speciality. They also have their own teaching hospital in reading now.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all.

So for specialty, like many premeds, I am very open. However, surgery is something I am thinking about. I know EVMS has quite a few home surgical residencies (general, ophthalmology, urology, plastic, vascular, ENT), I believe Tower Health, Drexel's hospital has general. I'm not sure if either has orthopedic residencies, but given that this is a field I'm interested/would like to learn more about, is one better than another?

I appreciate the help, and apologize if this is not a proper way to choose between schools. Thanks!

Thank you all.

So for specialty, like many premeds, I am very open. However, surgery is something I am thinking about. I know EVMS has quite a few home surgical residencies (general, ophthalmology, urology, plastic, vascular, ENT), I believe Tower Health, Drexel's hospital has general. I'm not sure if either has orthopedic residencies, but given that this is a field I'm interested/would like to learn more about, is one better than another?

I appreciate the help, and apologize if this is not a proper way to choose between schools. Thanks!
If you end up wanting a different surgical speciality like ENT or plastics, EVMS would be better. They probably have the resources to help you get some mentorship in ortho if they have a large number of home specialties overall.

Drexel matched 14 ortho this year I believe - one of the head of ortho at Rothman is the mentor for the ortho department at drexel. However, both are great choices and my knowledge is very limited on EVMS. I wish you the very best and good luck!

Drexel matched 14 ortho this year I believe - one of the head of ortho at Rothman is the mentor for the ortho department at drexel. However, both are great choices and my knowledge is very limited on EVMS. I wish you the very best and good luck!
Head of ortho at Rothman currently serves as clinical research dean at Drexel, which is a huge plus.

Drexel's ortho match this year -

Orthopaedic Surgery
  • Albert Einstein Medical Center - Philadelphia, Pa.
  • Allegheny General Hospital - Pittsburgh, Pa.
  • Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
  • ISMMS Mount Sinai Morningside-West - New York, N.Y.
  • Massachusetts General Hospital - Boston, Mass.
  • MedStar Union Memorial Hospital - Md.
  • Montefiore Medical Center/Einstein - N.Y.
  • St. Luke's Hospital - Bethlehem, Pa.
  • University of Connecticut School of Medicine
  • University of Maryland Medical Center
  • University of Rochester/Strong Memorial - N.Y.
  • University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine - Tampa. Fla.
  • UPMC Hamot Medical Center - Pa.
  • Walter Reed National Medical Center

Last edited:
Forgot about this post! Thank you all, although both great schools, I chose EVMS. For anyone curious who might lurk in the future, these are the reasons:

- Wide range of residencies, including dermatology, ENT, integrated plastics, and ophthalmology.
- limited movement in rotations
- smaller class size (albeit still considered large at 151)
- Integration with Old Dominion University (classified as R1 research school meaning high research activity) scheduled to happen no later than 2024. From what I see has a lot of neuromechanics/neuroscience research
- there is an orthopedic institute nearby which conducts research with the medical students at EVMS. Given that we’re the only medical school in the area, priority goes to these students, and serve as mentors.
- NBME exams for early step prep
- beyond just the tuition, ultimately cheaper even OOS given COL (granted if you get West Reading it might be comparable for cost of living)

Nonetheless both are great institutes. As pointed out above Drexel matched great and had done so in the past. Both are US MDs that have been around for a while and despite being a bit lower ranked still in top 100 for both research and primary care (close to one another as well) so regardless which you choose/get you are very lucky.

Thanks again @chilly_md @AnotherPre-med @gavinupwht ! I hope you are all doing well at whatever point you are in your career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users