EVMS vs MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to MCG back in December but just got pulled off the WL at EVMS yesterday, so I have to make a decision by next Wednesday.

The most important thing for me to consider is that I have a partner and a child who will be starting Kindergarten this fall.

MCG:

Pros:
- GA resident, so cheaper IS tuition
- We have lived in Augusta before, so we know we like it there
- My kiddo has her doctors there already (she has ADD and is mildly autistic but very functional and we anticipate her doing well with minimal support in public school)
- MCG has a lot of home residency programs (I am currently interested in some form of surgery, but am feeling very open-minded)
- MCG seems to have a good reputation in the south, and it has a fine match list
- refund for living expenses (important since I have a family and I won’t be working) will come out to ~15k/semester. I know we can live quite comfortably in Augusta this way.
- 3 year curriculum now, so 4th year can be used for research

Cons:
- a lot of mandatory stuff will require me to be on campus pretty much every day
- weekly quizzes
- as far as I can tell, exams are not NBME style
- pretty huge class size but I honestly don’t care all that much about this
- lower ranked school, less national recognition than EVMS

EVMS:

Pros:
- I believe it is a better program all around
- very early clinical exposure
- NBME style exams
- lecturers are not mandatory (not a whole lot of mandatory activities)
- I really like Norfolk, and my partner and daughter would absolutely love living by the beach
- slightly smaller class size
- better reputation
- a good bit of students with families here, so I hear
- nice match list
- 18 month pre- clinical, 3 months dedicated for step

Cons:
- fewer home residency programs, but still has general surgery
- much higher COA as an OOS student
- only ~11k refund/semester despite the fact we will need to spend more on living expenses here
- will need to find a new school/doctor situation for my daughter (but I am not worried about finding a good pediatrician, and it seems like there are several good public elementary schools in the area

Summary: I think my family overall will be happier in Norfolk, and I think I would probably like EVMS more. Finances are a big consideration for us, and I am less worried about my future ability to pay off loans than the resources I will have allocated for us on a per semester basis right now.

Note: my partner will be earning roughly equally in Norfolk compared to Augusta

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
MCG > EVMS with its cheaper tuition (less debt) and tons of home programs that are great.

Not really a serious thing to point out, but Virginia Beach near Norfolk is not the best beach around. I'd much prefer to be in Augusta and take the drive to Tybee Island along the Savannah coast than Virginia Beach. I'm kinda biased towards MCG from the beach perspective.