Ex-Phys, anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisa

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone has an exercise physiology background (especially an MS degree), I'd like your input on how this impacted your experience as a student, either positively or negitively.

Members don't see this ad.

Well Lisa , I was a biology major as an undergrad, but was also a college football player for 2 years. During my time at college I always wanted to take a few of those exercise science courses, when I was done with my Bio requirements. So in my last year I did, and what an experience it was. Not only was it easy, but it was so gratifying , being able to apply courses like , Biochem, and organic to the human body especially during exercise, and athletic training. Well to make along story short, when i initially took the mcats i bombed them badly, so i had to go back to school to keep myself busy for a year, so I chose to enroll in a MA program in Exericse Physiology. I never completed the degree, beacause I was accepted at LECOM this past fall, but i loved every minute of my 2 years studying exercise phys. I know my 23 credits in this area helped me significantly in my quest to become an osteopathic doc, as well as my broad background in sports and science. I hope this lends some encouragement to you in yout quest also.

Lisa,
I am currently enrolled in an exercise science program in south georgia. I have one more year to complete my senior level curriculum (Exercise Cardiovascular Physiology, Electrocardiogram, Cardiovascular Medications, and Cardiac Rehabilitation), and then an additional year to complete my premedical requirements (organic chemistry and some elective upper level biology courses). As you can tell by the courses listed, the programming of my B.S. Exercise Science is to prepare students for work in Cardiac Rehabilitation.
Although I am two years away from even applying to medical school, I think that the "health first" approach to applying to medical school will probably stand out on an application. The stats that I have seen about acceptance rates from different medical schools, in general, show that Osteopathic medical schools have a higher acceptance rate of persons coming from an allied health field. Also, the Osteopathic philosophy of treating the person as a whole, coensides with my desire to be a family practitioner and to evaluate the total health of my clients (exercise and nutritional habits, stress levels, etc.).

As for your question, how the background in exercise physiology impacted the person as a medical student, I can not answer. However, I must say this very point does concern me as well. Although I have no doubts in my mind that I WILL succeed in medical school (notice the confidence), I do feel a little underprepared for medical school, when comparing myself to the traditional students (biology, chemistry) who have received scientific training beyond the pre-medical requirements (biochemisty, genetics, etc.)

Are you enrolled in an exercise physiology program, if so, what is the professional emphasis of your program? Are your considering medical school? If so good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Eric,
Right now i'm finishing my masters thesis, and will have a MS in Kinesiology (ex phys focus)when it is completed. I graduated from Truman State University with a BS in Exercise Science, but the thing is that I was pre-med, and it worked out that with a couple of extra chemistry classes, I was able to minor in chemistry and biology. At the time, I was unsure if i could hack medical school, and now i regret the hesitation and wish I'd applied right away. It may have been for the best because now i'm more sure than ever that being a doc is what i want. I think physiology forces one to look at and understand the how's and why's of the whole body, and see the interconnectivity of the big picture. This line of thinking seems valuable in being a good physician of any kind. Anyway, enough from me.....tell me if way off here, people.

Lisa:

I am a graduate from Central Michigan University's Exercise Phys program and I am currently working as a graduate assistant, teaching UG human physiology. When I selected this major, I hadn't planned on attending medical school and If I had realized earlier in my life that I wanted to be a physician, my choice may have been different.

This is not say that I regret choosing this major, only that I might have selected a "hard" rather than "soft" science major. It seems that many medical schools tend to lean towards selecting students with biology or chemistry backgrounds (or maybe it is that most applicants tend to lean towards these UG majors).

My undergrad background did not affect my application too much though, I was accepted to one of my top choices. The principles gained within an exercise phys background do not seem to be emphasized in many medical school courses, so in a sense, I have gained important knowledge in the areas of preventive and rehabilitative medicine. I believe that this background will allow me to provide something "extra" to my future patients.

As far as preparing for med-school, an ex-phys background won't cut it! Even though I was required to take some basic chemistry and physics courses, they weren't enough for any school's requirements let alone the MCAT. I took an additional year to work on a CHM/BIO minor and felt much more prepared for medical school.

An exercise physiology background is not the most "traditional" approach to medical school, as it requires a great deal of extra classes to be able to apply. By taking several upper level biology courses taught by reputable professors, I increased my confidence in being able to handle medical school and believe I boosted my MCAT scores significantly.

I don't know if this is the information that you wanted. If I can help you any more, please E-mail me at [email protected]

Lisa,

Well, i wasn't an Exercise Physiologist, but I was a practicing Physical Therapist prior to medical school. And I can speak out of experience that the courses i recieved in PT were helpful, but a good background in biochemistry, cellular biology, genetics, and gross anatomy are certainly helpful in attaining academic success in med school. Though not absolutely necessary, they will make the transition to med school far easier.
Your background in physiology may help, but we have students with masters degrees in physio that still struggle in that course. So take it for what its worth.

e