Ex-ROTC, do I need a DD214 to go HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

EugeneF

Hi everyone, I apologize if this is not in the right forum.

I am currently applying for the Navy HPSP program for medical school. In college, I was disenrolled from the NROTC because of Don't Ask, Don't Tell. My HPSP recruiter is telling me that I need a copy of my DD214 to apply to HPSP, but I don't ever remember getting one (I was non-scholarship non-prior service disenrolled after 1 semester). After all, NROTC wasn't the "real military" so I shouldn't have a discharge or service record right? I do have my disenrollment paperwork, and will send that to my recruiter, but I was wondering if anyone knew if someone in my situation should have a DD214 on file.

Thanks,

EF

Members don't see this ad.

If you never actually served in the military, you will not have a DD214.

edit: also, find out if your recruiter actually NEEDS your ROTC dis-enrollment paperwork to process your HPSP application.

edit 2: I'd also STRONGLY consider using FAP over HPSP, unless your financial situation makes you HAVE to go the HPSP route.

Thanks a lot for your reply. And to answer your second question, he said that MEPS said they need it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently what I stated above in regard to ROTC members not receiving a DD214 upon dis-enrollment isn't entirely true:

in your case, you should not have received one. But if you received a scholarship and/or contracted (or were prior-service), then you'd receive a DD214 on dis-enrollment from the ROTC program.

Thanks for the help everyone, I just sent my recruiter my old paperwork. My package will be in for the June boards, so hopefully I'll get something! Though before I can accept I'll need to first get into an actual medical school haha.

Thanks for the help everyone, I just sent my recruiter my old paperwork. My package will be in for the June boards, so hopefully I'll get something! Though before I can accept I'll need to first get into an actual medical school haha.
You have researched the FAP route as mentioned above, right?
There are very few situations I can think of where HPSP would be preferable over FAP.

You have researched the FAP route as mentioned above, right?
There are very few situations I can think of where HPSP would be preferable over FAP.

Obviously OP has some interest in the military, having done ROTC and leaving only due to DADT rules. If he wants to serve, then that's reason enough to do HPSP I would think.

Obviously OP has some interest in the military, having done ROTC and leaving only due to DADT rules. If he wants to serve, then that's reason enough to do HPSP I would think.
You get to serve either way...only with one you don't have the risk of GMO tours and being cornered into the specialty the military wants for you, rather than your own choice. 'course, if you choose one they don't want, you're SOL, but I'd rather pick between limited options than have no say in the specialty that will become my career.

Reactions: 1 user
You get to serve either way...only with one you don't have the risk of GMO tours and being cornered into the specialty the military wants for you, rather than your own choice. 'course, if you choose one they don't want, you're SOL, but I'd rather pick between limited options than have no say in the specialty that will become my career.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. Yes, I have researched FAP. In a weird twist of fate I injured my leg the day before going to MEPS (nothing serious, but no way I could pass the physical) so I had to cancel. My package may be too late now for a 4 year scholarship (plus, I still have to actually get accepted to a med school haha), and so FAP may be a lot more financially viable than HPSP considering the two schools I'm waitlisted at are pretty expensive.

My only concerns for FAP are choosing a specialty the military doesn't want (though I suppose that could be a positive because otherwise I could have been cornholed into a specialty I didn't want) and that given all the military's downsizing, bonuses for FAP may not be as big in 4ish years as they are now.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. Yes, I have researched FAP. In a weird twist of fate I injured my leg the day before going to MEPS (nothing serious, but no way I could pass the physical) so I had to cancel. My package may be too late now for a 4 year scholarship (plus, I still have to actually get accepted to a med school haha), and so FAP may be a lot more financially viable than HPSP considering the two schools I'm waitlisted at are pretty expensive.

My only concerns for FAP are choosing a specialty the military doesn't want (though I suppose that could be a positive because otherwise I could have been cornholed into a specialty I didn't want) and that given all the military's downsizing, bonuses for FAP may not be as big in 4ish years as they are now.
Fair enough. Personally, I'd prefer the opportunity to choose a specialty while considering the military needs, at a time when I know what I'd like to do, rather than having one chosen for me despite any other preference. I also don't like being locked in on something until I'm ready for the decision...so if I'm going to decide whether going into the military is worth it for me, I'd rather make a decision and do it THEN, rather than make a decision 4yrs before the fact.