Exactly How Do I Understand the MSAR range for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boardwalk girl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excuse me if I don't say which Medical School because I am scared to jinx myself, but I got a MD interview invite. I am over the moon excited! My stats are -3.93C/3.87S ; MCAT(26): 11/6/9. When I look at the school the MSAR accepted10-90% range is a 7.5 to 11.5 for Verbal. Since my verbal is below that, how would my low verbal score be reported if I am lucky enough to be accepted. Am I to understand that 10% of the students receive a 7.5 or below or is that 7.5 the lowest they accepted? Also is the MSAR based on accepted versus actual matriculated students? Thanks so much...:)

Members don't see this ad.

90% of matriculated students received a 7.5 or higher on verbal.

That's still 10% of the class who got a lower score.

10% means it's the tenth percentile I.e there are lower than that reported number. And it's based off of matriculated students I believe. Congrats on the interview!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! That is what I thought, but I started to get alittle nervous.

90% of matriculated students received a 7.5 or higher on verbal.

That's still 10% of the class who got a lower score.

MSAR is based off of accepted applicant statistics, not matriculated students. So in this case, 90% of accepted students received a 7.5 or higher on verbal.

Reactions: 2 users