MCAT Examkrackers Live MCAT Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EKTestPrep

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Find out why students across the nation are turning to Examkrackers to improve their MCAT scores!

We offer three types of live courses to prep you for the MCAT (Click each link for specific details and upcoming classes. For information about locations, please visit our website at www.examkrackers.com or call us at 1-888-572-2536.):

Examkrackers Has Better Instructors
  • Our instructors set us apart from our competitors. During the course we closely monitor the performance of our instructors by asking you to evaluate them. We provide you with talented instructors that will teach you both MCAT testing skills and the science knowledge needed to do your best.
.Examkrackers Has Better Course Layout
  • We have shorter lectures. Compare our 50 minute lectures with our competitors’ three hour lectures. If you are fighting off sleep during long lectures, you will miss important MCAT content and you won’t have the information to answer questions on your real MCAT. Examkrackers lectures are brief, so you can stay alert during the entire lecture and you won’t miss any MCAT content.
  • We offer more testing. We emphasize testing because that’s what you need to increase your MCAT score. Practice exams in the MCAT format are given in each class after the lecture to unculate new concepts, reveal weak areas, and to get you thinking MCAT.
  • Examkrackers has an instructor review. All questions are reviewed immediately following the in-class exam, so you learn, not just the correct answer, but the fastest, most efficient method to find the correct answer. On the MCAT, knowing the fastest method will raise your score.
Examkrackers Has More Accurate MCAT Practice Materials

• We offer computer based practice exams administered by the AAMC, the writers of the real test. Much of the commercially available MCAT practice material is grossly inaccurate in content,science, and format. Examkrackers materials are MCAT-accurate right down to the font type. Examkrackers MCAT materials are the best selling wherever they are sold.
Examkrackers Offers Unparalleled Website Forum Support

• Whether your questions are about MCAT science or the medical school admissions process, our experts on our forum (www.examkrackers.com/forum/) are there to answer your questions.
Only Examkrackers Offers Zen Week (For MCAT Comprehensive CBT Review Course Only)

• Some students are intellectually, but not mentally prepared for the MCAT; their practice scores are strong, but on MCAT day their nerves get the best of them. During the final week of our course, we focus on mental preparation. This is our Zen week.
For more information about our live MCAT Courses visit our website at www.examkrackers.com or give us a call at 1-888-KRACKEM (572-2536). Good luck on your MCAT!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have been looking into taking a test preparation course this fall/next spring and one thing that I keep going back to is the money back guarantee that Examkrackers does not offer. Can you tell me why Kaplan and TPR offer this guarantee while Examkrackers does not?
Thank you.

I have been looking into taking a test preparation course this fall/next spring and one thing that I keep going back to is the money back guarantee that Examkrackers does not offer. Can you tell me why Kaplan and TPR offer this guarantee while Examkrackers does not?
Thank you.
Excellent Question DoctorClaw13!!
Examkrackers does not offer a money back guarantee and I will explain to you why we don't.~~First, I want to ask you....why would you use the same materials, classes, teachers, etc AGAIN, if they did NOT work for you the first time around? It does not make any sense, in fact, I feel a student holds on to a false sense of security; knowing they can "re-take" if they are not satisfied with the results.
This provides you with an excuse to delay your future, (by re-taking your MCAT.) Why would you knowingly commit to something that allows you to postpone your future? Shouldn't you first, consider a course and/or materials that will ensure you the results you desire? (without inhibiting your future goals in medicine?)
Do you really want to spend more time, effort and stress by having to repeat your preparation?
With Examkrackers, we prepare you for future success, by providing you with what you need to prepare with the FIRST time around. By utilizing our materials, books, teachers, simulated practice tests and LIVE classes, while following what we recommend, students will have the ability to improve their scores.
Examkrackers takes this approach because we are serious about your preparation and we WANT you to move onto your future in Med School.

Members don't see this ad :)
But what about offering money back if your program doesn't help? Kaplan and TPR offer that option in addition to retaking their course. I am VERY serious about this process, but $2000 is a lot of money.
I see on your site that right off the bat a big chunk is non-refundable, period. Then on top of that, if I decide I don't like the classes or find them unhelpful, I can only get a highly prorated refund.
Do you at least offer any free or trial events so that I can check out a class before committing? While you're making a lot of promises, I don't see any guarantees.

But what about offering money back if your program doesn't help? Kaplan and TPR offer that option in addition to retaking their course. I am VERY serious about this process, but $2000 is a lot of money.
I see on your site that right off the bat a big chunk is non-refundable, period. Then on top of that, if I decide I don't like the classes or find them unhelpful, I can only get a highly prorated refund.
Do you at least offer any free or trial events so that I can check out a class before committing? While you're making a lot of promises, I don't see any guarantees.
We have a policy that students can utilize for refunds, which is time sensitive,( it needs to be) otherwise it will be abused. Once enrolled, you will be given a student agreement that outlines all of your options in registering and such. Or you may call our home office and request specifics on enrolling for one of our courses and our reps will gladly talk you through the process. (These details are not listed on our website, so I am not clear where you are getting your information.) Which is why I suggest you call 888-572-2536
Any interested student may attend one of our MCAT type events which include: FREE MCAT tests, along with an instrcutor review, MCAT discussions, EK also participates in numerous industry related events yearly, along with monthly webinars etc. Please feel free to send me a letter of interest to be included in our upcoming events to:[email protected]

I also wanted to add that investing your time and money in a program needs to be done with prior research. Additionally, I encourage all interested students to ask important questions and familiarize themselves with what they are investing in, to ensure it is "conducive" to whatever your learning style is. I also want to stress that as a student there is an element of accountability and dedication you have to set forward, in order for your preparation to be successful. I find it incredibly difficult and possibly careless, to guarantee what you do outside of class. Examkrackers has no clear way to gauge or track this, so guaranteeing something along these lines does not appear to be realistic or accurate.
As with any product, I suggest you understand what the policy is for
re-take along with specific details on refunds.

These details are not listed on our website, so I am not clear where you are getting your information.

Actually, they ARE on your website. (Here's the link if you need help).

Examkrackers maintains the following refund policy on enrollments in our courses.
Refund Policy: $300 of the course price is immediately nonrefundable under any circumstances. A prorated portion of the remaining balance will be refunded based upon the day written notification is received by Examkrackers at the main office at 2143 Wilderness Court Lexington, KY 40509. The amount of refund shall be based upon the course price less $300. This amount shall be prorated daily over a 28 consecutive day period beginning with the date of the first simulated exam as scheduled by Examkrackers. No refund shall be given beyond 28 days after the first day of the course. This policy shall be adhered to whether or not student attends class or takes an exam.​

Judging by a calendar on your site, if I were to attend the first class, decide I was unhappy and want a refund, I would already be out about $700.

$2000-$300=$1700
$1700/28=$60ish

Day 1: Take practice exam (-$300 + $60)
Day 2: Nothing (-$60)
Day 3: Nothing (-$60)
Day 4: Nothing (-$60)
Day 5: Take FIRST class (-$60)
Day 6: Send letter OVERNIGHT to Lexington, KY (-$60)
Day 7: Receive a maximum refund of $1340

hmmm.

If you don't want to take the class, then don't.

Actually, they ARE on your website. (Here's the link if you need help).
Examkrackers maintains the following refund policy on enrollments in our courses.
Refund Policy: $300 of the course price is immediately nonrefundable under any circumstances. A prorated portion of the remaining balance will be refunded based upon the day written notification is received by Examkrackers at the main office at 2143 Wilderness Court Lexington, KY 40509. The amount of refund shall be based upon the course price less $300. This amount shall be prorated daily over a 28 consecutive day period beginning with the date of the first simulated exam as scheduled by Examkrackers. No refund shall be given beyond 28 days after the first day of the course. This policy shall be adhered to whether or not student attends class or takes an exam.​
Judging by a calendar on your site, if I were to attend the first class, decide I was unhappy and want a refund, I would already be out about $700.

$2000-$300=$1700
$1700/28=$60ish

Day 1: Take practice exam (-$300 + $60)
Day 2: Nothing (-$60)
Day 3: Nothing (-$60)
Day 4: Nothing (-$60)
Day 5: Take FIRST class (-$60)
Day 6: Send letter OVERNIGHT to Lexington, KY (-$60)
Day 7: Receive a maximum refund of $1340

hmmm.

hackintosh (nice handle, btw),

I've been teaching for EK since 2003, after taking the MCAT twice and scoring in the 30s both times, just by using the materials (I don't know if we had courses where I went to school back then) and I liked the materials and method so much that I called EK up and asked if they had classes and if I could teach for them, and I've been teaching for them ever since.

EK is fundamentally different from the other courses, and while we try to learn from our experiences and from other companies' experiences, we're not trying to be those other courses. That includes giving a money-back guarantee (which might seem counter-intuitive to you). As another commenter pointed out (less tactfully than I would as an employee of EK), you're free to go with another company should you feel that that guarantee is better than anything we offer. If you're convinced you're better off with them, well, you don't work for us and have no obligation to improve our company, so look out for yourself and go with their programs. But I have to tell you that a money back guarantee is a gimmick.

I've tutored a lot of people and even in one-on-one tutoring, I can only know so much about what's going on in my student's head and what he/she does at home to practice. I try my best to teach my students exactly how I studied, exactly how I think when taking a test, exactly what my attitude is toward the test, and I tell them that if they do the same and have the same standards and work ethic, they can expect to get the same scores - and even so, I point out that if their undergrad grades weren't as good as mine, if they didn't understand concepts back then (rather than just memorizing), then they can expect to take longer to get to that point.

When students say to me, "I'm studying hard but my scores aren't going up," I don't know what to say to them. How can I know if they're actually studying hard, if they're distracted by other things as they study, how many hours they put in, how much they work to develop the right attitude, whether they challenge themselves to change their understanding/approach/etc. rather than repeating the same mistakes? I can just explain things as well as I can and remember that the real work has to be done by you. I work my butt off as an instructor and have gotten better and better every year that I've taught and challenge my students to work harder than me in studying. If a student of mine says he didn't improve and wants his money back, that's like saying I failed him, that if he didn't improve, I did something wrong. Granted, I can always improve in my ability to convey information, but the fact is that I've proven myself on the MCAT multiple times, I've helped hundreds of students score well, and our books are excellent (just read the Amazon reviews or ask people who've successfully taken the MCAT and gotten into med school). All the resources we provide are excellent and any student who fails to succeed while using them must analyze his/her methods.

That may sound well, however to you, but that's just how much confidence I have in our methods. I never even took the course, never studied more than 5 weeks for the test, never took diagnostic exams, and scored 37 on the test. The materials can't be beat and the course is provided just to help students with examples, perspectives and structure. Our course and materials have proven themselves many times over and we don't need a guarantee to prove them. There are claims and gimmicks we are not going to make. We're not big enough to say we've helped more people on their MCAT than any other company. But, then again, no one can claim to have fed as many people as McDonald's. That speaks only to quantity, not quality. We don't have stats either on how much people improve. Everything depends on the student and how willing he/she is to work. I went up from a 33 to a 37 in five weeks of study using just EK materials, so such improvement is possible, but it's not guaranteed.

Sorry to have written so much. I just wonder why students so consistently focus on guarantees instead of results. A money back guarantee would be little comfort in the event of a poor score (also, you should check on the details. My understanding in the past was that so much was required of the student to qualify for that guarantee that burnout was a more likely result than success). I've talked to and taught enough students to know first hand what our reputation is amongst test prep companies, and have taught enough former Kaplan/TPR students to know where we stand in terms of quality. Ask around. And if you hear from others that you're better off with Kaplan/TPR, then I won't fault you for doing what you feel is best for you. We stake our success on our reputation, and it's pretty stellar. I have confidence that your doing what's in your best interest and in ours are one and the same.

Take care and best of luck!

BP, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. In response to the suggestion echoed by you and Myuu, it's not that I don't want to take the course, I am merely trying to make sense of everything that is posted and claimed, especially in light of some of the very negative things posted about EK around SDN, and to be honest, because "EKTestPrep" is answering questions with less-than-straight answers and skeezy bolded sales phrases.
While the EK approach sounds good, the policies in place are unfriendly and unhelpful.
Given what I've heard about the reality of the classes, I wouldn't want to enroll in one knowing that I'm out $700 if the instructor sucks.
If EK really stands behind their methodology and instructors, why such a stringent refund policy? Are too many people asking for their money back? It's a fair question.

BP, Thanks for the thoughtful reply. In response to the suggestion echoed by you and Myuu, it's not that I don't want to take the course, I am merely trying to make sense of everything that is posted and claimed, especially in light of some of the very negative things posted about EK around SDN, and to be honest, because "EKTestPrep" is answering questions with less-than-straight answers and skeezy bolded sales phrases.
While the EK approach sounds good, the policies in place are unfriendly and unhelpful.
Given what I've heard about the reality of the classes, I wouldn't want to enroll in one knowing that I'm out $700 if the instructor sucks.
If EK really stands behind their methodology and instructors, why such a stringent refund policy? Are too many people asking for their money back? It's a fair question.

From my experience and my understanding of our approach to test prep, that sort of guarantee is just too much of a gimmick and temptation for us to do. I know it seems to students like we don't stand behind our product, but it seems different from my perspective. My concern would be that there are some students who are just ornery and contrary and expect every aspect of the course to be tailored to them specifically, and they'll complain incessantly about even the best instructors. If we do completely cater to them, not only would we not be doing what's best for the majority of students, but also, we'd be losing sight of the fact that the students have to work hard too, bring a lot to the table, and make the most of everything. I say this as an instructor, mind you. It's the company's policy to help out every student, even those, when they've complained, and I understand that that's what administration has to do, but I also understand that such pampering won't help those students. You have to go into the course with the attitude that you're going to do it 100% and not make excuses and focus on things that held you back. Some of our instructors have been a big disappointment and they no longer teach for us. But most are pretty good, if not excellent, and we tell them to take very negative evaluations from students with a grain of salt. Some of them seem to be in the fault-finding business.

This is all probably more candid than I should be from the company's perspective, but I think students find it hard to see this from that point of view. We're not so big that any time a student comes to our classes on/off, leaves before it's over, texts during it, does a little of the work here and there, doesn't do well on the test, blames us and asks for his/her money back (while keeping the materials and whatever was gained from lectures attended) that we could pay out. Our methods work and our instructors are excellent, but it's still on students to put in the hours. I often really feel for them because many are delinquent in attendance and fail to come prepared for lectures because they're busy working or in school, but that's the nature of the beast. You have to schedule everything else around MCAT prep and not vice versa.

So how can we know that students who don't do well on the MCAT are working their butts off with us and still failing, that they prepared in a way that I'd prepare, that they took preparation as seriously as I did (or as I take teaching)? That's difficult. I can't follow them around at home and school. I can't get inside their heads. What we could do is to have attendance, to put our materials online and make them confirm having gone through so much to qualify for the refund that they probably would be unable to qualify. But that's not our philosophy. Doing a million problems is not the way to do well on this test, despite what all the students who have yet to take the MCAT feel. It's the quality of problems and explanations that matter (and on the latter note, the AAMC tests are pretty useless. Their explanations are way too technical and memory-oriented and don't help students understand the science anywhere as much as ours do). So we're not going to have a guarantee that pushes students to follow an approach to study that's counter productive. We'd rather not have a guarantee and leave it up to students to decide on quality and to realize that failure or success is up to them.

That said, I don't mean to imply that if a student fails to do well while using our materials or course, it's absolutely his fault. There can be many other things involved. For example, I've had many students with ADD/ADHD over the years, students with major anxiety problems, one with a hearing deficit that made him very distractable during the practice tests and lectures, students who aren't very good at reading comprehension, hundreds of students who are too busy to find time to study, and some who just struggle with problem solving in general. This is why we welcome feedback from students. If the problem is with an instructor, we fix it. We don't tolerate mediocrity (and we welcome the opportunity to improve). Of course, this is an ongoing issue because it's hard to find instructors for life. As for the individual issues, we try to help them out outside the course, but the course can't be tailored to them, and I wouldn't consider it a failure.

Another thing, hackintosh. We offer a lot of flexibility to students about when and where they take in lectures. This might not matter in parts of the country where courses are very spread out, but any student who can make it to another site is free to go if he/she doesn't like his/her instructor or just prefers another's style.

Oh, and could you do us a favor? Could you tell us what site you'd be going to and what instructor was a problem for people you knew? This way, we can do something about it to help you or any other students in your area who will be taking our course. Thanks!

We forgot to mention earlier that, as in past years, we will be holding a raffle at the end of this week. We will be choosing randomly from all the commenters who have contributed meaningfully to the respective threads and giving away the following two prizes:

One free 9 week comprehensive course this summer
One free complete set of EK books

Here's the fine print:
The course must be in any of the locations schedules for the summer 2011, it is not transferable to anyone else and it can be deferred to another semester. Taxes, shipping will be covered.
For the winner of the study pack, it will be shipped free of charge anywhere in the US.
Neither raffle prize can be exchanged for money or anything else.

All you have to do to be eligible is to follow the guidelines given by SDN here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=790797 and to have posted in the respective threads (EK employees, of course, are not eligible). After this week wraps up, I will pick the winners randomly and post their names on the threads, as well as contact them via private message with the email address and confirmation code they should use to redeem their prize. Go to the above link to make sure you are eligible and be sure to check in to see if you've won, as I'll be following the reprizing guidelines there in case I don't hear back from the winner.

I want to emphasize again that anyone interested should visit that SDN page, because some of the most prolific commenters on these threads are still not eligible according to those guidelines. It's not too late to change that!

As always, students in Examkrackers courses get a 30% discount on all other EK materials (applicable only once per title).

Best of luck to all of you!

UPDATE
SDN handles the raffle and has/will notify the winners independently. We are not involved in that process and don't determine or contact the winners. Sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
I just had a quick question regarding the live MCAT review course. I recently signed up for the MCAT extra course being held at Columbia University. However, I have no clue as to where the class is being held outside of knowing that it is occurring at Columbia univeristy on March 20th. I've searched the examkrackers forum and posted on that forum as well looking for assistance but have not found an answer to my question. Could you please help me out by letting me know what building and classroom the examkrackers MCAT extra is being held at in Columbia university?

Status
Not open for further replies.