Examples of famous people overcoming mental illness/in recovery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merovinge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am was looking for the "best" examples of famous people who have overcome mental illness, ideally ones that they have spoken about this publicly (and certainly not ones that didn't go on to succumb to their illness like Robin Williams, Marilyn Monroe etc etc) . I find these examples to be particularly salient to teenagers and appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Looking for:
MDD
Bipolar D/o
Social Anxiety
Agorophobia
OCD (I use Howie Mandell with how he has changed on America's Got Talent at present)
Substance use disorders
Eating disorders
Childhood trauma
Losing parents

Members don't see this ad.

It's really great information for teens to not feel alone, although you have to use more modern celebrities because they might not care about the old ones.

Bipolar Disorder - Mariah Carey, Selena Gomez, Carrie Fisher, Halsey, Demi Lovato

Schizophrenia - Britney Spears (probably schizoaffective since she opened up about also being on lithium?), Amanda Bynes

Eating disorder - Taylor Swift, Kesha

MDD - so many. Jonah Hill (see Netflix documentary Stutz), Kristen Bell, JK Rowling, Katy Perry, Chrissy Teigen, Meghan Markle (opened about suicidality which caused estrangement from royal family), Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt

PTSD - Lady Gaga (also fibromyalgia and MDD, actually names her psychiatrist in her documentary)

Substance use disorder - more than I can remember off the top of my head. Elvis Presley, Demi Lovato, Matthew Perry, Amy Winehouse, Michael Phelps, Adele, John F Kennedy, Carrie Fisher.

ADHD - Michael Phelps, Justin Timberlake

OCD - Leonardo di Caprio

Bipolar disorder due to another medical condition: acute intermittent porphyria - King George III (maybe)

Dyslexia - Arthur Fonzarelli (great Fresh Air interview about this), Jennifer Aniston

Reactions: 3 users
I mean... the list is huge and there is probably alot of questionable diagnosis in there but: Robert Downey Jr., Brandon Novak (not sure famous but could connect with young adults/teen males), Elton John, Drew Barrymore, Jimmy Fallon struggled with alcohol for years (although not well publicized), David Letterman is famously sober for over 40 years as are dozens of other famous actors and celebrities and musicians. The fact is you hear alot more about the ones that die or continue to struggle. And simple MDD or social anxiety you may never hear about at all.

For more SMI that seems to have ameliorated or be kept functional: Marsha Linehan, James Taylor, Michael Phelps, Carson Daly, Richard Dreyfuss, Terry Bradshaw. How's Axl Rose these days anyway?

I would actually stay away from this other than if patient brings it themselves in therapy sessions. Not sure how idolization or comparison would help or be healthy, especially early on in illness//recovery/struggles?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with erg, given the newer trend of MH diagnoses being part of someone's identity I think one has to be very careful about how they discuss celebrity diagnoses with others. I'd also note that there should be a certain level of scrutiny when celebrities publicly discuss their diagnoses. I had the unique experience of being able to do a rotation in med school with a PP attending who saw high-profile athletes and we talked about it a lot d/t my interest in sports med. He said it wasn't uncommon that what they would state they suffered from or had been diagnosed with publicly was often inaccurate and aimed at controlling public image. He also (semi) joke that interviews with those patients were just as much of an assessment of how good their agents were as they were an assessment of the patients themselves.

Reactions: 5 users
I mean... the list is huge and there is probably alot of questionable diagnosis in there but: Robert Downey Jr., Brandon Novak (not sure famous but could connect with young adults/teen males), Elton John, Drew Barrymore, Jimmy Fallon struggled with alcohol for years (although not well publicized), David Letterman is famously sober for over 40 years as are dozens of other famous actors and celebrities and musicians. The fact is you here alot more about the ones that die or continue to struggle. And simple MDD or social anxiety you may never hear about at all.

For more SMI that seems to have ameliorated or be kept functional: Marsha Linehan, James Taylor, Michael Phelps, Carson Daly, Richard Dreyfuss, Terry Bradshaw. How's Axl Rose these days anyway?

I would actually stay away from this other than if really needed or if patient brings it themselves in therapy sessions. Not sure how idolization or comparison would really help or be healthy, especially early on in illness//recovery/struggles?
It's not about idolization or comparison, it's about hope. Hope is sorely lack for individuals with depression generally, but even more so for the current generation of adolescents facing down social media, 24/7 profit based news, climate change, etc. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the data on the current mental health of adolescents but this is very likely the worst time in modern history to be an adolescent.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with erg, given the newer trend of MH diagnoses being part of someone's identity I think one has to be very careful about how they discuss celebrity diagnoses with others. I'd also note that there should be a certain level of scrutiny when celebrities publicly discuss their diagnoses. I had the unique experience of being able to do a rotation in med school with a PP attending who saw high-profile athletes and we talked about it a lot d/t my interest in sports med. He said it wasn't uncommon that what they would state they suffered from or had been diagnosed with publicly was often inaccurate and aimed at controlling public image. He also (semi) joke that interviews with those patients were just as much of an assessment of how good their agents were as they were an assessment of the patients themselves.
It's very different for people who's private information is being pushed into the public light versus those who choose to talk about this to make sure other's know that recovery is possible and to raise awareness/reduce stigma. If you listen to any real interview about the folks listed above in clozareal's post it's very clear who has the lived experience and has nothing to do with an agent working on anything. I don't like T Swizzle is too terribly worried these days about her bottom line being hurt based on discussing her eating disorder.

It's not about idolization or comparison, it's about hope. Hope is sorely lack for individuals with depression generally, but even more so for the current generation of adolescents facing down social media, 24/7 profit based news, climate change, etc. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the data on the current mental health of adolescents but this is very likely the worst time in modern history to be an adolescent.
I'm not sure I can agree with you here.

Further, you are talking about/asking about individuals with very high level means and baseline levels of resilience/persistence. Fostering hope is admirable. However, fostering resilience and healthy living/living skills is another matter and probably doesn't have anything to do with celebrities.

Last edited:
I saw a recent interview with a celebrity in probably his 50s now who looks like he has TD...nothing in the public history to reveal any history of mental illness but it made me wonder how under wraps celebrities keep this type of info. As of late, it has been more socially acceptable to discuss their own diagnoses in public, but in the end it's their stuff to share.

From the other side's point of view: I will never forget a resident in the ED shouting "My life is going to be ruined!" when a VIP presented and they were trying to get out of being assigned to the case.

Agree. I work part-time in D1 collegiate athletic mental health and certainly see the "appeal" (so to speak) these days of having a diagnosis. The fact is, most of them don't. Not that they don't have legitimate "problems in living" that could use some work, but these are high achieving and very resilient people....just by their nature of being able to make and sustain D1 collegiate athletics.

From a more clinically nuanced perspective, we need to think carefully (and clinically) about discussing how Brad Pitt got sober is relevant to or helpful for our patient's struggles and particular situation. I mean, yea, it could be. But that's about 40 on my list of 39 other things that are probably more relevant for the average Medicaid or Ambetter health plan patient siting in front of me, right?

The "hope" you are talking about and seemingly wanting for your patients, IMHO, should come from establishing goals for themselves (self-efficacy) and making deeper connection with others, if needed. No celebrity culture/testimony/influence necessary. The latter point is especially relevant for the social media culture you speak of that has come about in the past decade. Let's get them away from this culture/obsession, right? Not further towards it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I think the better way to approach this would be to discuss limiting technology and the concept of masks and idealization. Discussion on what "real" socialization is (which can still be online) vs socialization through social media is important and historically my patients who become more conscious of this and limit social media exposure have all felt this was beneficial for them.

It's very different for people who's private information is being pushed into the public light versus those who choose to talk about this to make sure other's know that recovery is possible and to raise awareness/reduce stigma. If you listen to any real interview about the folks listed above in clozareal's post it's very clear who has the lived experience and has nothing to do with an agent working on anything. I don't like T Swizzle is too terribly worried these days about her bottom line being hurt based on discussing her eating disorder.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'm sure some of those listed above truly have those diagnoses and are being more open about them, but the level of public image control can be extreme. Take Swift for example, if you look at her primary fan base and the demographic who most likely suffers from eating disorders there's an obvious overlap and making herself more relatable to her fans has been a part of her brand for the entirety of her career. Imo she's an average singer but an outstanding manager for herself and is very aware of the image she presents. She's a good example, but the extent of public image control is impressive.

I saw a recent interview with a celebrity in probably his 50s now who looks like he has TD...nothing in the public history to reveal any history of mental illness but it made me wonder how under wraps celebrities keep this type of info. As of late, it has been more socially acceptable to discuss their own diagnoses in public, but in the end it's their stuff to share.

From the other side's point of view: I will never forget a resident in the ED shouting "My life is going to be ruined!" when a VIP presented and they were trying to get out of being assigned to the case.
It's amazing how well people can hide it sometimes. Brent Guy was a college football coach for 30+ years and hid his diagnosis for his entire career.

I do think you can do this appropriately, but I also think it can easily backfire in adolescents and kids. To answer your original question, probably less relevant for most younger people but John Nash won a Noble Prize and developed game theory with schizophrenia. Jack Wheeler was a presidential aide to multiple presidents and had a prolific political career with bipolar disorder. As mentioned below, Brent Guy was an outstanding football coach for 30+ years and hid bipolar disorder the entire time. He's now a major advocate with NAMI.

There's also many historical figures that changed the course of human existence and thinking. Churchill, Tesla, and Lincoln (as above) likely had severe bouts of MDD. Darwin likely had OCD with hypochondriasis. Newton, possibly the greatest mind in history, arguably had a bipolar or psychotic disorder. That's not even touching on the endless well of artists who have suffered from MH disorders, though I'd argue not the best examples since many of those stories don't exactly have happy endings...

He also (semi) joke that interviews with those patients were just as much of an assessment of how good their agents were as they were an assessment of the patients themselves.
As someone with a penchant for celebrity gossip, 100% this. Taylor Swift has famously never been willing to say publicly if she’s gone to therapy, for example—skirts around the question in interviews, says her mom is her therapist, etc., despite having a fair number of songs where she pretty explicitly references depression, anxiety, and suicide. Even with the ED, she skirts around actually calling it that. IMO, it’s 100% a strategy to keep her “relatable” without the potential baggage/stigma of saying she has a diagnosis and having that follow her.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the data on the current mental health of adolescents but this is very likely the worst time in modern history to be an adolescent.
I would also like to point out that, statistically, most young people/adolescents are fine and continue to excel in school, athletics, and typical teen social culture as they always have...even if "times are different" with a host of dangerous influences around. Frankly, I wish (with the blessing of my children), that we stop with this infantilization.

Parents have the responsibility to keep their children away from certain influences, and I would agree "social media culture" presents many challenges. But, it doesn't have to be this way. It's not actually a psychiatry or psychiatric problem. And it's not one we are going to solve, win, medicate, or therapize our way out of. It starts with basic principles of mental health and healthy living. Not exactly the strong point of Hollywood, YouTube, or musician culture. Thus, this is not something I would feel at all compelled to point out or address in sessions with my patients, even if some of these people have been ultimately successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would also like to point out that, statistically, most young people/adolescents are fine and continue to excel in school, athletics, and typical teen social culture as they always have...even if "times are different" with a host of dangerous influences around. Frankly, I wish (with the blessing of my children), that we stop with this infantilization.

Parents have the responsibility to keep their children away from certain influences, and I would agree "social media culture" presents many challenges. But, it doesn't have to be this way. It's not actually a psychiatry or psychiatric problem. And it's not one we are going to solve, win, medicate, or therapize our way out of. It starts with basic principles of mental health and healthy living. Not exactly the strong point of Hollywood, YouTube, or musician culture. Thus, this is not something I would feel at all compelled to point out or address in sessions with my patients, even if some of these people have been ultimately successful.
I wish that were true but you are living under a rock. The data is horrible. In a recent study 48% of young adults had mental health problems. 15% or public school students have IDEA disability classification. Teen suicide rates have gone up 30% since 2012. And then there is a more subtle but obvious change in overall resilience by which youth who do not meet criteria for a clinical disorder are over identifying with narratives of trauma and victimization.

I know someone already mentioned Lady Gaga. You might like this interview. I had thought about sharing this before and didn't because I imagined people rolling their eyes at parts of it. But even if you roll your eyes at 50% (which is more than I think you will), I think the rest is valuable:

I wish that were true but you are living under a rock. The data is horrible. In a recent study 48% of young adults had mental health problems. 15% or public school students have IDEA disability classification. Teen suicide rates have gone up 30% since 2012. And then there is a more subtle but obvious change in overall resilience by which youth who do not meet criteria for a clinical disorder are over identifying with narratives of trauma and victimization.
I do not have data at my fingertips (and do not work with children) but talking to veteran teachers (of which there are many in my family).... Yeah the kids are not OK. I feel like teaching and medicine as professions weren't easy before the pandemic and got shook to their very cores and broken in some very fundamental ways and both systems got an accelerated push towards collapse. The resonance between what we feel in medicine (including increased interactions with violent/dysregulated/disrespectful pts) and the experiences of teachers (including increase violent/dysregulated/disrespectful students) is intense.

I believe it's the minority, but most severe, interactions that drive a lot of burnout. Particularly when not feeling supported by admin. And therefore any increase at that end of the curve has an outsize effect.

I would be very hesitant to use celebrity success stories with people within a therapeutic context. Social comparison is a tricky concept, and more often than not, it can contribute more to worsening depression and anxiety. Moreso in this context as you are essentially having the patient compare themself to someone who is usually hugely successful, while the patient most likely is.....definitely not. You'd be better off normalizing and validating the symptoms in terms of how widespread they are as part of the therapy. Help them feel part of something, rather than increasing their sense of isolation.

Reactions: 5 users
Adolescents typically respond better to mocking celebrities and their mental health issues. Not exactly the healthiest coping strategy but its developmentally appropriate and fun for them so I support it. When I have had a patient that really struggles with severe mental illness and how that is going to impact their life then I tend to refer them to books written by people who have struggled with it and realistically deal with it. i also just find out what they have read or think and help them sort out how that applies. Instillation of hope is definitely a fine line to walk.

For autism, I’d offer the example of Greta Thunberg as a very successful and well known young woman. Not necessarily the kind of celebrity you might have been thinking of.

In my state, adolescent depression has increased approximately 100% in the past 12 years. Initial eating disorder data post pandemic is showing similar increases in the span of only a few years. Suicide attempts are up significant and completions are also up significantly. Pretending the problem doesn't exist because most people are "fine" is just absurd. If any physical health metric worsened at even close to the rates of mental health worsening in adolescence, people would be up in arms and this. We were already discussing this pre-pandemic, and shockingly COVID was really tough on people at a stage of life where they need to learn/develop and lack the skills/resources that adults have. Instead we get this nonsense that every generation has it's struggles and this is no different, completing ignoring the data that suggests this argument is utter rubish.

In my state, adolescent depression has increased approximately 100% in the past 12 years. Initial eating disorder data post pandemic is showing similar increases in the span of only a few years. Suicide attempts are up significant and completions are also up significantly. Pretending the problem doesn't exist because most people are "fine" is just absurd. If any physical health metric worsened at even close to the rates of mental health worsening in adolescence, people would be up in arms and this. We were already discussing this pre-pandemic, and shockingly COVID was really tough on people at a stage of life where they need to learn/develop and lack the skills/resources that adults have. Instead we get this nonsense that every generation has its struggles and this is no different, completing ignoring the data that suggests this argument is utter rubish.
I agree with this entirely. I heard a presentation recently regarding a 500% increase in tic disorders in just the last few years. The largest system in our state is doubling there pediatric behavioral health resources over the next 3 years in response to demand.

One argument that I agree with is that this increase includes individuals who are distinct from those who would previously have been diagnosed with mental illness and are being impact by peer influence and social contagion. To which I say - great, so we should just ignore them? All that I will admit is that in addition to being larger, the problem is also more complex than before and will require providers who have diverse skills.

I agree with this entirely. I heard a presentation recently regarding a 500% increase in tic disorders in just the last few years. The largest system in our state is doubling there pediatric behavioral health resources over the next 3 years in response to demand.

One argument that I agree with is that this increase includes individuals who are distinct from those who would previously have been diagnosed with mental illness and are being impact by peer influence and social contagion. To which I say - great, so we should just ignore them? All that I will admit is that in addition to being larger, the problem is also more complex than before and will require providers who have diverse skills.
Tic toc tic is no joke. That said, it's hard to see peer influence and social contagion for some of our conditions. I just saw an adolescent who was of sitting alone in their bedroom all day with the lights off and no access to electronics, the mom thought initially this was "just going through things" and would be an expected part of adolescence. I think depression rates are one of the best things to study as the gains are much less than identifying as neurodivergent or having anxiety-about-anything-I-don't-want-to-do-itis (I'm certainly not getting into an argument over the adaptive value of MDD here...).

Ah, the perfect thread, speaking to the questionable nature of celebrity diagnoses, to ask if anyone has watched Taylor Tomlinson's Netflix special? She reports having "bipolar" disorder but most of her "mental health symptom" jokes point much more strongly toward BPD, especially since most of the jokes are about her having intense/unstable relationships, idealization/devaluation, fear of rejection/efforts to avoid abandonment, and mood lability.

Ah, the perfect thread, speaking to the questionable nature of celebrity diagnoses, to ask if anyone has watched Taylor Tomlinson's Netflix special? She reports having "bipolar" disorder but most of her "mental health symptom" jokes point much more strongly toward BPD, especially since most of the jokes are about her having intense/unstable relationships, idealization/devaluation, fear of rejection/efforts to avoid abandonment, and mood lability.
Agree, I actually enjoy her comedy but it does describe BPD far better. I think her joke about doing therapy in her 20's to pull all the trash out of the lake before it freezes over in the 30's is spot on.

For people interested in comedians with legit bipolar who talk about it in their comedy, Maria Bamford is a great example. She's very open about the diagnosis, meds, and treatment facilities without trying to force a public image.

Reactions: 3 users
Agree, I actually enjoy her comedy but it does describe BPD far better. I think her joke about doing therapy in her 20's to pull all the trash out of the lake before it freezes over in the 30's is spot on.

For people interested in comedians with legit bipolar who talk about it in their comedy, Maria Bamford is a great example. She's very open about the diagnosis, meds, and treatment facilities without trying to force a public image.
Yeah. She also mentions taking "a mood stabilizer" that she thought was an antidepressant. Made me think she was saying Lamictal, which also made me think a little about the borderpole / just BPD diagnosis. She is funny though, like most BPD people when they're not angry.

For autism, I’d offer the example of Greta Thunberg as a very successful and well known young woman. Not necessarily the kind of celebrity you might have been thinking of.
Yeah. Greta is interesting. Her parents are socially connected, socially skilled individuals and they probably taught her some of those skills as well - and may have used their connections to help her in her activism. I honestly think that she was a political tool being used by people in power - and would not be surprised if she knows it. I think she was a little young to be doing what she was doing - but if activism was what helped her mental health, I understand. That doesn't take away from her grit, her determination, or her courage.

Ron Jeremy: Not competent to stand trial, dementia or possibly even malingering.

1674670300248.png

He sounds pretty bad off, looks like even the prosecution experts agreed he was unable to stand trial.

Ron Jeremy: Not competent to stand trial, dementia or possibly even malingering.

View attachment 365161

My best Christmas card ever included a photo with this guy

On a related "psychiatric" note my forensic side's interest was piqued by this guy's alleged sex offenses. The guy's in porn already getting plenty of sex, more than most could handle at his age,and allegedly until recently before his incarceration possibly still acting in an extremely predator manner. I'm wondering if there's a psychology/physiology thing going on there.

Last edited:
On a related "psychiatric" note my forensic side's interest was piqued by this guy's alleged sex offenses. The guy's in porn already getting plenty of sex, more than most could handle at his age,and allegedly until recently before his incarceration possibly still acting in an extremely predator manner. I'm wondering if there's a psychology/physiology thing going on there.

He chose to cooperate with an industry that treats him as an object, others as an object, and human sexual relations as an object. All for sale. And so he made his living.

After that, the only barrier to further exploitation is the law. At least he's consistent, and not a coward.

Last edited:
Yeah. Greta is interesting. Her parents are socially connected, socially skilled individuals and they probably taught her some of those skills as well - and may have used their connections to help her in her activism. I honestly think that she was a political tool being used by people in power - and would not be surprised if she knows it. I think she was a little young to be doing what she was doing - but if activism was what helped her mental health, I understand. That doesn't take away from her grit, her determination, or her courage.
Did you see her twitter response to Andrew Tate? Brilliant.

Successful in what regard?

Has it been proven yet that he trafficked anyone?
No, but I'd put quite a lot of money on him being found guilty. He admitted to his deeds on videotape! At best, he is a fool and at worst a criminal.

No, but I'd put quite a lot of money on him being found guilty. He admitted to his deeds on videotape! At best, he is a fool and at worst a criminal.
I haven't seen or heard of a tape where he admitted to sex trafficking. He has talked about his webcam business in the past which is perfectly legal. I don't know, why would someone intentionally build such a massive online presence if he was involved in sex trafficking? It wouldn't be smart or necessary. You can make whatever claims about him you want but I don't think he is truly a dumb person.

I haven't seen or heard of a tape where he admitted to sex trafficking. He has talked about his webcam business in the past which is perfectly legal. I don't know, why would someone intentionally build such a massive online presence if he was involved in sex trafficking? It wouldn't be smart or necessary. You can make whatever claims about him you want but I don't think he is truly a dumb person.
I hope that he did not actually do what he was accused of doing; not a fan of his. That being said, hubristic fools are out there.

I hope that he did not actually do what he was accused of doing; not a fan of his. That being said, hubristic fools are out there.
I hope not either. That would mean a lot of people were hurt. I don't think he did it. I like the guy for the most part. I think a lot of what he says is valuable.

• Dislike