Executive Compensation at Public and Private Colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentirita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
#1 I don't get it. Is this where people whine about how other people are getting paid more than them? Someone thought that each of these individuals were worth paying this amount of money. In general good executives are extremely rare and much harder to replace than just about any other position and are paid as such.

#2 I don't know what this has to do with an Allopathic medical student forum. The lounge is here: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/the-lounge.25/

This has nothing to do with the people on the list of course. The number one person on it is currently being sued for mismanagement by the institution listed after them.

Reactions: 5 users
#1 I don't get it. Is this where people whine about how other people are getting paid more than them? Someone thought that each of these individuals were worth paying this amount of money. In general good executives are extremely rare and much harder to replace than just about any other position and are paid as such.

If anything, I'm surprised by how fast the salaries fall off moving down the list. I would have guessed that most major university presidents were making low seven figures or high six figures. I'm kind of surprised by how quickly salaries fall into the $600-$700K range.

If you want to post something that may be slightly more worth getting worked up about, add the salary for the head football coach of each school to your data.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
These 1 million + salaries are ridiculous. How does one become a chief execute of a college? Asking because, uh, arming myself with this knowledge would ... uh, help me combat this injustice.

These 1 million + salaries are ridiculous. How does one become a chief execute of a college? Asking because, uh, arming myself with this knowledge would ... uh, help me combat this injustice.
Why don't you just become a chief executive for half the price at 500,000? The aforementioned institutions are fools for not hiring you!

You rise through the ranks: Faculty-> Dep't or Program Chair -> Dean of some sort -> CEO/Chancellor/Provost/President.

Having seen this process in action, these guys/gals do seem to earn their pay, especially if they can bring in the big bucks in terms of grants or donations. Who do you think actually talked to Carver or Weill or Keck to get them to donate 7-8 figure donations to their med schools?

I have more of a problem with schools that pay coaches more than Nobel Laureates.

Reactions: 2 users
You rise through the ranks: Faculty-> Dep't or Program Chair -> Dean of some sort -> CEO/Chancellor/Provost/President.

Having seen this process in action, these guys/gals do seem to earn their pay, especially if they can bring in the big bucks in terms of grants or donations. Who do you think actually talked to Carver or Weill or Keck to get them to donate 7-8 figure donations to their med schools?

I have more of a problem with schools that pay coaches more than Nobel Laureates.
Agree. This post seems intent on whining about people making money.

Reactions: 1 users
If my undergraduate alma mater is any indicator, then these folks' contracts include bonus money that gets counted against a single year and can be many times more than their year-after-year baseline salary.

I say this as someone who has lived an academia from about age 8 onward... Relatively new opinion for me...

I disagree about the coaches thing. Sports bring in money to schools, a LOT of money. Coaches are a lot like executives, the difference between top 2% vs 10% is huge. The reason why some coaches can demand as much as they do is because someone at the school did the calculation that the salary is worth the benefits they bring (building an athletic program and ultimately bringing wins/championships). Now, you can make the argument that the value of Nobel laureates or other academic contributions are simply more important to society or that they should be rewarded more heavily to encourage more people to aspire to do what they do instead of going into sports, but, that is not what our society values. Until that changes, people will generally be paid based simply on the calculus of the 'value' they provide to the firm.

Reactions: 4 users
These college presidents can make more for the university just by visiting their state legislature than the amount they receive in salary. Same goes for coaches and the football playoffs.

I say this as someone who has lived an academia from about age 8 onward... Relatively new opinion for me...

I disagree about the coaches thing. Sports bring in money to schools, a LOT of money. Coaches are a lot like executives, the difference between top 2% vs 10% is huge. The reason why some coaches can demand as much as they do is because someone at the school did the calculation that the salary is worth the benefits they bring (building an athletic program and ultimately bringing wins/championships). Now, you can make the argument that the value of Nobel laureates or other academic contributions are simply more important to society or that they should be rewarded more heavily to encourage more people to aspire to do what they do instead of going into sports, but, that is not what our society values. Until that changes, people will generally be paid based simply on the calculus of the 'value' they provide to the firm.
But why is the president of Louisville making 7 times more than the president of FSU? Is he bringing in 7 times as much value? To me, the pay seems arbitrary, given the extreme range seemingly without a commensurate range in value provided by the executives.

Yeah, I know. But I still don't like it.

They also have to navigate the toxic political and ideological atmosphere in academia.