Exercise = Better Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJHUSKERS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this is nothing new to those who are very active...but there is no doubt a correlation between exercise and neuro function. I can literally associate my success in school with training. I started training or exercising 5-6 hours every week my sophomore year and haven't missed the dean's list since! The only problem is when you do death circuits of density training or insane finishers and you feel fried afterwards hahahaha I hate getting the prowler flu…

You better believe it that I will get a quick lift in before each final this week. Neat article below:

How a Phys Ed Program
Transformed One School

At Naperville Central High School, west of Chicago, children who are having problems with math or reading go to gym class first. And exercise isn't just restricted to the gym -- there are bikes and balls in the classrooms, and the children are in constant motion.
The results are amazing -- reading scores have doubled, and math scores are up by a factor of 20.
Research shows that after 30 minutes on the treadmill, students solve problems up to 10 percent more effectively.
Keeping kids active at school is a superb way to increase learning, focus and even test results. As many of you reading this have likely experienced, if your mind is feeling cluttered or you're having a mid-afternoon slump, a brisk walk or a quick workout can give you a renewed sense of clarity and focus.
This is true for kids, too, and the results of implementing a physical activity program at Naperville Central High School are nothing short of astounding.
Students who took part in a dynamic gym class at the beginning of the day had reading scores that nearly doubled, while math scores increased 20-fold. The school even has exercise bikes and balls in classrooms so that kids can stay moving throughout the day.
Although it's becoming more widely known that physical activity has a direct result on your brain function, this type of phys ed program is still nonexistent at most U.S. schools. This means it's up to parents to encourage their children to stay active after school and on weekends in order to reap the wonderful brain-boosting benefits that exercise has to offer.

Why Exercise is So Important for
Your Child's Brain

Exercise encourages your brain to work at optimum capacity by causing nerve cells to multiply, strengthening their interconnections and protecting them from damage.
Lab tests on animals have also shown that during exercise their nerve cells release proteins known as neurotrophic factors.
One in particular, called brain-derived neurotrophic factor or BDNF, triggers numerous other chemicals that promote neural health, and has a direct benefit on brain functions, including learning.
A new study published in Neuroscience also revealed that regular exercise not only improved blood flow to the brain, but also helped monkeys learn new tasks twice as quickly as non-exercising monkeys, a benefit the researchers believe would hold true for people too.

Further, exercise provides protective effects to your brain through:
  • <LI class=MsoNormal>The production of nerve-protecting compounds <LI class=MsoNormal>Greater blood flow to your brain <LI class=MsoNormal>Improved development and survival of neurons
  • Decreased risk of heart and blood vessel diseases
In fact, more than 20 percent of your body's blood and oxygen go directly to your brain, and exercise increases this flow, not only improving your mood but also your brain power.
Physical activity is not only a boon for brain power, it also helps kids who may be restless or hyperactive, or who have been diagnosed with ADHD. Even emotional disturbances can be improved with exercise, as the activity provides an outlet for their energy and reduces the natural inclination of children to "act out."
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/05/04/how-a-phys-ed-program-transformed-one-school.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

Very interesting....That high school is like 2 school districts over from the high school I work at. Our high school definitely does not do that...gym is kind of a joke.

But, maybe I'll give it a shot before my physics final on Monday....