Exotics Summer Externship Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

travelingdogtor25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a current 2nd year at UIUC CVM. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for exotic/small animal practice externships in or around Illinois (although I am willing to travel). Additionally, any recommendations for 4th year externships focused on zoo/exotic/aquatic medicine would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely apply for the Brookfield rotation through UIUC for fourth year!
I had some classmates do mystic aquarium (I couldn’t tell you where else they went) and @battie did Cheyenne mountain zoo and had a good time iirc, both for fourth year. For zoo med/aquatics you definitely have to start contacting places really really early so I’d definitely start that once you get some recs!

Reactions: 1 user
If you post on the free and for sale fb page or different class pages on fb I’m sure you will be able to get some recommendations too

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I am a current 2nd year at UIUC CVM. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for exotic/small animal practice externships in or around Illinois (although I am willing to travel). Additionally, any recommendations for 4th year externships focused on zoo/exotic/aquatic medicine would be greatly appreciated!
I loved my externship at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Colorado Springs, CO). I was also signed up for San Antonio Zoo, but cancelled because of COVID :(

Reactions: 1 users
I loved my externship at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Colorado Springs, CO). I was also signed up for San Antonio Zoo, but cancelled because of COVID :(
If you post on the free and for sale fb page or different class pages on fb I’m sure you will be able to get some recommendations too
Thank you both so much!! I’ll definitely check those out :)

I wasn't able to do this one, but UW-Madison has a special species rotation that they open to externs if there's still space after their students are signed up. They are one of the places I refer exotics for more advanced diagnostics/surgery/etc (Im in MN) so they might have some interesting cases! Since they don't fill externs until their students are enrolled they have to be a later addition to your schedule, so I'd consider it if you still have some gaps you want to fill

I wasn't able to do this one, but UW-Madison has a special species rotation that they open to externs if there's still space after their students are signed up. They are one of the places I refer exotics for more advanced diagnostics/surgery/etc (Im in MN) so they might have some interesting cases! Since they don't fill externs until their students are enrolled they have to be a later addition to your schedule, so I'd consider it if you still have some gaps you want to fill
Thank you so much! I appreciate the recommendation :)