Expanding program - Yes there is a Kalamazoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newschooldoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fellow SDNers,

Just a heads up here in SW Michigan last week we added another five slots bringing our Intern class next June to 20. As a PGY-2 I couldn't be more satisfied with my match and I wanted to get the word out to this years applicants

We're a community based program, about as far from malignant as you can imagine, with a strong emphasis on learning. We rotate between two level one trauma centers, mostly blunt trauma. Currently at our facility our program is the strongest allowing us a certain amount of autonomy and respect not all EM programs enjoy.

I have yet to talk to a resident who isn't happy. We interview on the weekends with socials the night before which tend to work out well for MS4s on the interview circuit.

Living in Kalamazoo is great, (I'm from Portland OR so I know a good city). This is an especially attractive place to live if you have a family. Keep in mind SW Michigan is not Detroit, things are just different here. Here's the catch - the weather during interview season is burly. Folks get off the plane and just get scared they'll be miserable for three years, those that match find out how wrong they were.

My motivation for sending out this missive is to help continue our tradition of attracting high-quality graduates. I'm currently a PGY-2, have no approval or even consideration from our administration to send out this email. I'm here with my wife and two kids. I'd be happy to answer any questions. PM me if it's a very specific question that only applies to you, if it's generic and the answer could benefit others reply with your question and I'll make a point of answering it.

-Tony Crawford MD PGY2
MSU/KCMS Kalamazoo MI

Members don't see this ad.

Great town and amazing hospitals! I did a 4th yr trauma/critical care rotation at Bronson 2 mo. ago an have raved to everyone I have met about all the programs there. The residents are amazing and I have yet to do another rotation or find better doctors that better prepared me for the rest of my rotations. Also as an important sidenote, you will not find a better cafeteria then the one at Bronson! If I didn't want to stay so close to home this would definately be tops on my list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lived in Kalamazoo for 12 years, including time in residency there. I don't think you'll find a better community-based program with a combination of great training, working conditions, and location in the Midwest. Great PD in Dr. Overton, who's very connected and involved in every aspect of the program.

For the DOs applying there, they have a combined PGY 1/Osteopathic internship so that you don't have to do an extra year to stay in Michigan.

Give it a read!