Expanding The PMP database

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kstarm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about how much I rely on the pmp database to help better understand someone's history and be better informed about an individual's risk regarding opioids. I would be curious as to what people think would make it more useful. I've often thought that the ability to add a "FYI" about a patient that was found diverting may be helpful. I would think any changes would have to be very well thought out. I have been noticing more and more physicians/residents being familiar with it and checking it thus pontentially making it a more powerful tool over time.

What would you add or take away if anything from the pmp databases?

Members don't see this ad.

Problem is.... Adding anything else would increase the liability... I would love to see criminal arrest records, felonies mostly, convicted crimes.

I would love to see confirmed drug tests, when they fail substance abuse counseling or are kicked out of practices for treatment agreement violations....

I'd like to see a PDMP triggered intervention for those with egregious doctor shopping >10 prescribers/pharmacies in a year.

Reactions: 1 user
In some states the PMPs suck, and don't list the providers or pharmacy. That needs to be fixed.

Also, all 50 states need to be linked, for people moving in and out of state.

Agree, 50 state public criminal records need to be online.
My state has this, and I get new patients all the time that have drug sales/possession convictions in the recent past. If the authorities have any serious intent about getting diversion under control they are negligent for not making this available to doctors in all 50 states.

Just recently had a clean cut guy with a heroine trafficking conviction come up as a new patient. Some fool had been scripting him roxicodone 30's all along. He didn't get a script from me. Near 100% chance of diversion.