Expelled pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeisthenewblack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a mental break down and attacked a guy on campus. I was expelled from my university and sought treatment for my mental health. Turns out I have bipolar disorder PTSD and now adhd . can I use this to convince med schools to ignore my expulsion due to my mental health? Do I still have a shot at medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

If the thing you're trying to use to prove to medical schools that you will be successful is your mental health problems, I think you're gonna have a bad time. Were you criminally charged?

Regardless of the answer, I think it might be time to start thinking about other lines of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Do something else man...med schools probably don't want their patients getting attacked, no offense

Members don't see this ad :)
No I wasn't criminally charged. Just expelled. I only attacked the guy because I thought he was someone else trying to hurt me. Anyways does this mean I should give up all medical fields? What about physician assistant or an RN? I can't imagine doing anything that isn't in the medical feild.
If the thing you're trying to use to prove to medical schools that you will be successful is your mental health problems, I think you're gonna have a bad time. Were you criminally charged?

Regardless of the answer, I think it might be time to start thinking about other lines of work.

No I wasn't criminally charged. Just expelled. I only attacked the guy because I thought he was someone else trying to hurt me. Anyways does this mean I should give up all medical fields? What about physician assistant or an RN? I can't imagine doing anything that isn't in the medical feild.

It's no different for an RN or PA, you are going to deal with patients. I really don't know how to answer this but you might have a hard time getting into the medical field.

You might be able to sneak into an RN program, but I would highly advise against medical school. PA school is a possibility post-RN. The degree of stress and sleep deprivation it brings on is enough to trigger some pretty bad relapses.

Reactions: 1 users
You keep asking this question, SDN keeps giving you the (same) answers. :(

Reactions: 3 users
can I use this to convince med schools to ignore my expulsion due to my mental health?

Absolutely not. No hospital will put patients' lives in the hands of someone who is potentially dangerous without proper medication.

The only patient care job you'll probably be able to get is as a CNA.

Nope. Time for another career.

My school has learned from bitter experience that bipolar students in particular do not like taking their meds, especially in their manic phase.

And medical school is a furnace..I've seen it break healthy students.

I had a mental break down and attacked a guy on campus. I was expelled from my university and sought treatment for my mental health. Turns out I have bipolar disorder PTSD and now adhd . can I use this to convince med schools to ignore my expulsion due to my mental health? Do I still have a shot at medical school?

Reactions: 2 users