Experience for vet school advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1147771

Hi all,

Joined this forum to get some insight and some guidance on how to make my resume viable for vet school. I completed my undergrad this past spring with a major in animal science and most pre-vet requirements. However, I had a lot of mental health struggles during Covid and some very terrible friends from spring 2021 to spring 2022. Unfortunately, this means I tanked my GPA from a 3.6 to a 3.11 in four semesters, which are, coincidentally, the "most important semesters". I had kind of given up on the vet school dream for a while because I was so depressed, but now that I actually have to figure out my life, I'm trying to find other ways to prove that I am set on pursuing this in my application.

My current work experience includes a summer as a park naturalist working with local reptiles and amphibians, 1.5 years of veterinary and husbandry work with dairy cows (over 50 hours a week at some points), 1 year walking dogs, 6 months in companion animal primary care, 6 months hands-on horse husbandry, 5 months as a manager for a retail grooming business, a few months fostering rabbits, and now I'm starting hopefully an (at least) 9-month full-time career in husbandry for lab mice and rats. I'm hoping to participate in their breeding program! In addition to this, I played club rugby all four years I was in college. However, I'm nervous that this is not enough, or as diverse as it should be to compensate for my grades.

Any recommendations on additional things I should do maybe over the weekends I have off or overnights that might make me more well-rounded? What I've considered is either getting involved with emergency medicine or trying to contact any local equine vets to see if they'd be willing to let me help out, but I just am kind of at a loss in terms of what would look best or what areas I might be lacking in that I could work more towards in order to show that, despite my grades, I'm dedicated to this field and want to work in it for the rest of my life. I'm fortunately in a big city where there are a ton of opportunities I could look into. Any and all advice helps and is welcome, especially if you can think of anywhere I could improve on!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Joined this forum to get some insight and some guidance on how to make my resume viable for vet school. I completed my undergrad this past spring with a major in animal science and most pre-vet requirements. However, I had a lot of mental health struggles during Covid and some very terrible friends from spring 2021 to spring 2022. Unfortunately, this means I tanked my GPA from a 3.6 to a 3.11 in four semesters, which are, coincidentally, the "most important semesters". I had kind of given up on the vet school dream for a while because I was so depressed, but now that I actually have to figure out my life, I'm trying to find other ways to prove that I am set on pursuing this in my application.

My current work experience includes a summer as a park naturalist working with local reptiles and amphibians, 1.5 years of veterinary and husbandry work with dairy cows (over 50 hours a week at some points), 1 year walking dogs, 6 months in companion animal primary care, 6 months hands-on horse husbandry, 5 months as a manager for a retail grooming business, a few months fostering rabbits, and now I'm starting hopefully an (at least) 9-month full-time career in husbandry for lab mice and rats. I'm hoping to participate in their breeding program! In addition to this, I played club rugby all four years I was in college. However, I'm nervous that this is not enough, or as diverse as it should be to compensate for my grades.

Any recommendations on additional things I should do maybe over the weekends I have off or overnights that might make me more well-rounded? What I've considered is either getting involved with emergency medicine or trying to contact any local equine vets to see if they'd be willing to let me help out, but I just am kind of at a loss in terms of what would look best or what areas I might be lacking in that I could work more towards in order to show that, despite my grades, I'm dedicated to this field and want to work in it for the rest of my life. I'm fortunately in a big city where there are a ton of opportunities I could look into. Any and all advice helps and is welcome, especially if you can think of anywhere I could improve on!

We have a “what are my chances (WAMC)” thread stickied for posts like this :)

I’d encourage you to post there in more detail (outlines provided) so we can give you better advice.

Reactions: 1 user