Experience in MSW program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I just started orientation at a top-ranked Social Work school. The people are wonderful - warm, friendly, open, helpful. I have had good conversations with people. I did have one issue though - of feeling like I was swimming in a sea of students.

I went to a small college for undergrad, where the classrooms were between 15-30 students and advisors were accessible and involved. I'm now at a big research institution, and it's a different experience. Have others here had a similar transition? Does graduate school/professional school generally have a more 'fend for yourself' orientation? (ie: less hand-holding, because this is real life?) Or is this shift in program 'feel' just the function of a bigger professional school and a large university?

Something about small schools really feels comfortable to me, but I know that the education is solid at these larger universities if you put yourself into it.

As a side note, I've had 5+ years of post-college work experience, so I am somewhat acquainted with the real world.

I'm interested to hear about others experiences!

Members don't see this ad.

I went from a really large respectable state university (undergrad) institution (~60,000) to a smaller (~30,000) just as respectable state university (in a different state). I loved the smaller atmosphere. Different part of the country though, with a different flavor to the campus. I get a lot of individual attention and in the first couple of weeks got to know a lot of staff/professors right away. All that said, it may just be a function of your new university, and not just size.

I had 2 orientations! Are you a BSW student or did you come from another field?