experience in optometry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

limitless411

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a second year Optometry student, I fall more in love with what we do everyday. I know I made the right choice. I enjoy the challenges, the faculty, and even the area I am studying in.

Now here is the problem, my classmates. My class is a pretty small class compared too many other schools out there, about 70 to a class. Now I thought I would love this (coming from an undergrad of about 50,000 students on the main campus) because of more faculty interaction but no not the case. Nice that my professors and Doctors know me by my name however...my classmates.

Now, I was really excited to go into professional school and knew there might be a little competition but boy was I not prepared for this one. You see my class is known as the complainers of the school (to the other classes and faculty). Reasons why vary and its not everyone but the ones that do are very vocal. Now I have never been in an environment (even in HS) where I feel like there is the "You Can't Sit With Us Group". I am talking about the ones you don't leave each other sides, do not invite other classmates and gossip about everyone. Might I add they are also the ones who get mad if one simply does better than them or requires less study time for a subject. I will never forget the scores after our first exam as little naive first years, someone posted their proud moment of getting a good grade and this other student literally spoke ill about this kid he knew for a month for posting it. Let someone be proud at least in my opinion. Other students get mad other people doing well or even better than them. Saying it is not fair? Really? Now, I am one who stays to myself because I just focus on being the best doctor I can be but I do have a few people I call good friends. But how can anyone in any environment deal with another student yelling at you during an ophthalmic optics class for accidentally moving a tray over while they were writing something down (standing up a couple feet away from the desk)? What type of professional setting is this? Having other students stop other students from speaking to professors and taking the professor away from the conversation? Most importantly, how can you ever trust people in your class (and let it be known their names are known just other students avoiding the drama) who have made false accusations about other classmates to faculty about cheating? Especially when it was a lie. When they themselves are in a group of friend group who aren't known to be the most honest? Why must a dean come give your class a lecture about respect and the student handbook? Even mentions of making fun of other students families have been mentioned among the group and even social media. At birthday dinners of personally going up to someone else and telling them I am not sitting on this side of the table because of so and so. A few others and myself have simply just lost a lot of respect for people here, simply because they are mean. I am even talking about some psycho stuff of classmates being roommates and one roommate hacking into his computer type situation.

I use to think about transferring to another school because it is a very uncomfortable situation to be in. I know life is this way, but health professionals who should be working together to help give back to the community? The sad part is its the better students who are nice and act professional who get the shorter end of the stick here. I just want to know are there more classes/schools like this or did ? Am I just that naive (or was that naive) to think everyone understands there will always be people smarter, prettier and just better at you in something? Nobody is forced to like each other, but if other people are nice and wouldn't hurt a fly, they do not deserve to be treated inferiorly due to jealousy.

In other news I will advise any first year readings this (and future OD students), keep things to yourself. Do not share personal things or grades with people unless you are absolutely comfortable with that person. I have seen a lot of friendship fall out and its not good after. Do not talk about others in your class in a negative way, it always...always comes back around. Especially for those applying...take class size into consideration on what will work best for you.

*Disclaimer I will not post on what school this is from*

Members don't see this ad.

Just do your best. Sometimes people can just be jerks. There should be an expectation of professionalism (and usually is per your school's codes of conduct and your optometric oath you took). Optometry is a small world and you never want to burn any bridges.

I was lucky to have a really nice class. We were known as the boring class from the other classes but I thought we were the good guy; the class above me had issues with partying too hard and getting too drunk at school settings where alcohol was served, and the class below me had a lot of complainers and rudeness such that a professor called them out on it and they had to have the dean of student affairs give them a special lecture similar to your experience.

We're all adults, we all have the same goal in common to be the best "we" can be, and to ultimately at least be "good enough." I've never been one for drama. Just be the best person and doctor you can be, and you'll sleep a lot better at night.

Hope your situation works out.

I agree, don't tarnish your reputation in professional school.

This happens at every school. I think 22 is the new 17 for many incoming Optometry students. I've seen extremely unprofessional behavior from professors as well. It's one of the disadvantages of going to school with human beings.

You get all kinds in every class. My class was great for the most part. A few people were a little odd like this where they started off as gunners, but once they realized no one was out to get them, most didn't care about being first in the class and just wanted to get through, people started coming out. We had a Facebook group where people would post study guides they made. Happened before every test you could get a study guide. If you want to change the culture of your class, maybe that's a good way to start. If you make study guides, offer to share them. Or maybe try to set up open study groups and post on Facebook about them. Just be willing to share and you'll likely meet up with the good students who just want to do well and help others.