experience section on optomcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dwindle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been exploring the application on optomCAS and I'm confused about the "experiences" tab. I'd like some clarification on the differences between: extracurricular activities, shadowing, volunteering, and optometric experiences. For example, what fits under what category exclusively and what makes each category distinct from the other categories.

During undergrad I interned at a general practitioner's office, I'm not sure which category to put it under. I was told to include it on my application since it helped me realize being a doctor wasn't the right path for me. I did the same tasks as a medical assistant would.

I also interned for an optometrist over this summer and I'm not too sure which category that would go under since it could count as either volunteering, shadowing, and optometric experiences. I did the same tasks as an optometrist assistant would. Both internships were unpaid.

I'm a member of the cabinet at my institution's pre-optometry club, just to make sure, that counts as an extracurricular activity? If we do volunteering activities such as vision screenings, etc would I double list the pre-optometry club for volunteering or just an extracurricular? Same with other clubs?

I'd like to add more experiences to my application and would love to see suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Just my luck two cents, but I don't think it really matters a whole lot! Maybe try to divide things up so everything isn't in 1 category leaving the others empty. Other than that I wouldn't list them twice. Just put them once and explain, like you did pre-optometry club and as part of that I volunteered doing these things!

I don't think which category it's in matters a whole lot, as long as you don't put it in an obviously wrong category. They'll all show up on your application, regardless. I agree they don't do a great job of defining the differences between categories :/