experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm applying straight out of undergrad. From what I've seen, a lot of people on this site got into grad school right out of college.

However, there are also many people who didn't get in their first try and took some time off to improve their experience etc. If you don't get in your first try, I would definitely try again.

I think a lot of people here do have post-undergrad experience, but then again not everyone knows for sure that they want to commit themselves for 5-7 years to something as a college senior. When I was in undergrad, I "wanted" to go to grad school for clinical psych, but wanted to be absolutely sure, so I took a year off, then went to a Master's Program so I could be as competitive an applicant as possible - this is my first time applying.

Then again, as Cara Susanna said, I do know people who get in right out of undergrad...however, to be honest, that is less common than someone who got a research position for a year or two before applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's certainly possible to get in without post-grad experience, but being that it's so competitive, those who have that extra experience will probably have a better chance getting in (if all other qualifications are similar). I think it doesn't hurt to apply, and if you don't get in, take 2 years to get some experience and apply again.

I worked for 3 years at the National Insitute of Health doing research, and 2 years at Columbia University doing research (I took so much time mostly because I didn't know what I wanted to do yet). This is my first time applying, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I am hoping that my experience will give me an edge over other people....

I think it's certainly possible to get in without post-grad experience, but being that it's so competitive, those who have that extra experience will probably have a better chance getting in (if all other qualifications are similar). I think it doesn't hurt to apply, and if you don't get in, take 2 years to get some experience and apply again.

I worked for 3 years at the National Insitute of Health doing research, and 2 years at Columbia University doing research (I took so much time mostly because I didn't know what I wanted to do yet). This is my first time applying, and I haven't heard anything yet, but I am hoping that my experience will give me an edge over other people....

To Lovelyrita10,

I just private messaged you to ask you how you found a research position with NIH. I am going crazy trying to figure out how to gain a research position at other universities.

For everyone else, do you just email professors who have done work you would like to participate in? Do you volunteer and work part-time on the side to pay the bills?

Also, would anyone recommend appealing to professors now?...even though I am awaiting grad school acceptances? Thanks for any and all input!

:D

I do not think that coming straight from undergrad, in and of itself, puts you at a disadvantage. However, you are by and large going up against applicants who have more experience than you. If you have a solid background in research from your undergraduate training, however, you can overcome this.

The place I notice the biggest difference between those straight from undergrad and those who have taken a few years is in knowing what they want to do. Those who have taken time off are much more likely to know what they want to study and are much more focused than many of those straight from undergrad. If you are one of the lucky few who have a research focus out of undergrad and have research experience, then coming straight from undergrad shouldn't hold you back (assuming decent grades, scores, etc.)

I don't think applying as an undergrad is necessarily a handicap (I did, and I had some interviews). Though it may not be right for everyone, I do think that it's good to at least consider applying to be an RA post-undergrad. That's what I ended up deciding to do, and I feel like I have a better grasp on my research goals and how to accomplish them as a result.