Experiences at your Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr1216

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I just thought it would be interesting if the URM students who are currently in medical school could possibly share some information about their medical school experiences with the up and coming applicants. Here are a few questions I just thought of, but please share any more things that you think we should know! And for those who are at HBCUs, please share your experiences as well. What are the positives & negatives that come with being at an HBCU? Thanks :)

1) What medical school do you attend?
2) Is there a strong support system for URMs?
3) How diverse is your class?
4) Do you ever feel left out or do you feel that you are embraced by the rest of your classmates?
5) Have you experienced any type of racism?
5) Would you recommend your school to other URMs?
6) How has being a minority shaped your med school experiences?
7) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other potential URM medical school students?

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Absolutely! in a class of about 40 students at least 10% or more are URM. There is also a large diverse population (from all over the world). We have much support from the school. If there is something you need that is not offered all you have to do is ask.
See above. Also, there are many non-traditional students which makes for even a more diverse class.
4) Do you ever feel left out or do you feel that you are embraced by the rest of your classmates?
Never felt left out at all.
Never.
Absolutely!
It really has made no difference to be honest. We are just like anyone else and working just as hard.
7) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other potential URM medical school students?
Yes, make sure that you get your hands on a book published by the AAMC called "Minority Student Opportunities in US Medicals Schools" or something to that effect. I went over that book ad nauseum while applying. It will list URM interviews, how many accepted and how many actually attended for all US schools. It will also list the contact info for the minority admission individual that can guide you through the process. Also, apply broadly, apply to as many as you can afford, and apply EARLY. I cannot emphasize that point enough! the earlier the better.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Efex.....your input is appreciated.:)
I know there are many more URM med students out there. Can you all please share any info you have with some fellow aspiring URM doctors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Efex.....your input is appreciated.:)
I know there are many more URM med students out there. Can you all please share any info you have with some fellow aspiring URM doctors?

I agree. I think this is an amazing thread idea. :thumbup:
I would love to hear what people think of their schools. :)

This thread is awesome. Post more information from your schools. I am sure that it will help a lot of us.:thumbup:

Thanks

Drexel University College of Medicine
Most definitely, the school wants all there students to succeed and recognizes the importance of having URM in medicine. In addition to having student ran groups for concerns and stress, the school provides any counseling and support needed...free :)
Diverse of approximately 15%. Class size total of ~220 students in two separate tracks.
In some instances, yes, but I think that was from people already knowing each other from previous years and forming their own clique. With the majority of everyone, it was great because many people were in a new place with new friendships to make

No
Definitely, especially if their mcats are slightly low or their gpa is low. The school has a guarenteed acceptance program as long as you meet their criteria...~25 people. Email me if you want more information
In the beginning I didn't think I would be to par with others, but I know that was just all in my head. If anything, I pushed myself stronger and decided to help out other URMs struggling. Now, I'm the top of the class :)
We need to stay positive and see ourselves as belonging- not as being separate from everyone else. Unfortunately, I still have some classmates that feel that way and it only impedes possible networking and friendships you can make. Stay positive and realize you are living your dream

Reactions: 2 users
U.Kentucky
The office of multicultural affairs is trying to do a lot this year
5 African Americans out of a class of about 107, all male
No
No, but I have heard stories
Im used to being the minority, so it does not bother me much. Others may have a different experience.
Not that big of an issue for me.
7) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other
Find a good study partner early and push each other. Also, dont self segregate yourself if you are in the minority.

Nobody has anything else to offer?? A thread like this would really help out some of us who are getting ready to submit our AMCAS apps!!!

I agree, I would love to heard about you experiences at your school.

oh zippa. they don't seem to care about us. :p

I hope that they care a little more about us than it seems! :) Maybe we would have better luck if we posted this in the actual medical students forum? I know there has to be more minority medical students on SDN than those who have answered (Thanks to you all!! The information does help). Maybe they just aren't looking at this forum.

At some medical schools, the number of URMs is very, very small. In the spirit of keeping their identity anonymous, many might not want to post in a thread such as this.

Just because your thread is not getting the response that you desire does not always mean that the posters don't care or are not interested in being helpful.

How about moving it to the mainstream forum? I just stumbled across this under represnted forum today and I know that many people probably don't know that this forum is up.
I'm going to be starting medical school in a few months and I'll be sure to post after one semester of being a UMICH med student.

Members don't see this ad :)
The above poster echoed my thoughts. Is there anyway that one of the administrators could move this forum or a provide a link to this forum in the main premed or med students forums? Does that sound like a good idea?

The above poster echoed my thoughts. Is there anyway that one of the administrators could move this forum or a provide a link to this forum in the main premed or med students forums? Does that sound like a good idea?
There already is a link to this forum under the premedical forums category.

I think that njbmd is right that many people probably do not feel comfortable posting too many personal details here. Even at schools with large classes, med school is a very small world where everyone knows everyone's business. Some medical school administrators also read SDN and are able to identify posters based on what may seem like relatively limited info. If someone were unhappy at their school, it would be very foolish for them to post that information on SDN, as we are not anonymous to people who know us in real life.

What I recommend that you do if you want to learn more about student experiences at a specific school is to contact the diversity office at that school (or the admissions office) and ask them to put you in touch with some of their URM students who would be willing to talk to you about their school. Be careful, though; don't ever ask a student about problems at their school by email, especially if they're using their school account. Again, if someone is unhappy with their school, leaving an email trail about their complaints is a very bad idea and could get them into even more trouble.

BCM (Baylor college of medicine)

Baylor is really good about getting the minorities together and forming a support group right from the start. We have a special accepted minority week for incoming URMs, we've got a care of the undeserved tract that focuses on minority needs in medicine (mostly URMs take these courses), SNMA is very active, NNLAMS is also very active (Latin American students) we've got mentors, and the upperclassmen are always sharing information and advice with the lowerclassmen. We've got a nice little network.

My class is very diverse, but it varies from year to year. My particular year is almost 30% URM. We've got 16 African American students. In contrast, the year below me has only 4 African Americans. I'm not sure what happened, but we need to get those numbers up (hint, hint you URM pre-meds).

Sometimes. I've always gone to much more diverse schools where the average SES is much lower. I think I feel left out because most people come from different backgrounds, and have different experiences and ways to relate to people. Medicine is a bit of a culture shock for me. Most people in my class do not try to make URMs feel left out, though.

5) Have you experienced any type of racism? Some very low key stuff. For example, during a sickle cell lab, the TA was like, "Lets see what the black students think about these slides," and everyone looked over and stared at us, our STD lecture featured almost exclusively pictures of blacks with STDs, when everyone was describing different cultural remedies, some kid said, "What is this the 'my culture is dumber than your culture' hour?" Things like that. People can be ignorant, or insensitive, but no one is overtly racist (that I know of).

Certainly! The students and faculty make the school very comfortable for URMs. We're always trying to recruit. We also have lots of opportunities for community outreach. PM me for more info.

It makes me painfully aware of the disparities that affect my community. I think I view medicine from a unique prospective that makes me want to deliver better care to minority areas. Also, I've got sort of a built-in tight-knit group of friends who I know I can go to for help and support. I've got more responsibilities than the average medical student, but also more privileges.

7) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other potential URM medical school students? Apply early!! Also, make sure you get in contact with the minority coordinators at each school. The coordinator at Baylor really gave me some great opportunities to further my medical career when I was in undergrad. He also put me in contact with other important administrators at Baylor, and I think this really helped me get my foot in the door. Make contacts, and don't be afraid to be obnoxious and in their faces. If they know your name and your face, instead of just your numbers, you are much more likely to be accepted. They really want to know you are interested.

I thought this was a great thread, and now that alot more of us have started school, maybe we can add to this thread and make it an even better resource. Here's my take:

Loma Linda Univ. SOM

Not particularly, but the upper classmen and the practicing URM physicians have been pretty supportive. Most of the URM who come here already knew the other URMs in the class, so kind of support each other alot.

Out of 195, we have like 15 black and about 5 hispanic. Last years class only had 5 URMs out of 195, so we are doing pretty well this year. We also have like 57 married people in our class, which is pretty cool.

I feel left out a little less since I'm married so I dont really need my classmates to hang out with, but many of them are really friendly. There are some that are really quiet, and won't talk to you even if you look straight in their eyes, but the good ones greatly outnumber that bad ones. I have also noticed that alot of people came to LLU already knowing their classmates (especially those from the adventist schools), so while it may seem like the white classmates are onl talk to each other, its because the went to undergrad with each other. Alot are really nice when you get to know them.

The school doesn't have a great track record with it, but the times have changed and I haven't noticed anything even resembling racism. And none of my URM classmates have noticed anything either.

Definietely. This school is great and they really teach you great clinical skills and their lectures are geared basically for "What you need to know for the boards". Also their dedication to medical missions is truly outstanding.

It makes me more aware about the lack of minorities in certain situations, but other than that, nothing really.

Don't believe that you are inferior to any other race or that you are better than any other race. All of the URMs in my class passed our first block of tests and many of us scored above the class average. If a school accepted you, its because you can handle the coursework and because they want you to be a doctor. It may be hard not to look clickish by always hanging out with fellow URMs in your class, but try to branch out a little and form friendships, because these people will be your colleagues are bosses in the future.

UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

In Piscataway there is an Office of Multicultural Affairs that is supportive of all minority students, especially URMs. In Camden the Dean's office as a whole is supportive of all students and does its best to act fairly and in the best interest of the students.

I started out in the c/o 07 and there were approximately 25 of us of African American, African and Caribbean/West Indian descent. In the class as a whole there were probably 40 countries represented by non-white students. Although the number of URMs has declined, in the c/o there is a fair number of URM students however we like other med schools are lacking in the number of URM males!

I always felt embraced by my classmates and school as a whole.

No.

Definietely. The school is not well know outside of the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area but offers an excellent education, excellent research opportunities, and excellent opportunities for international study. The SNMA and Salud are also very, very active at RWJMS.

It makes me more aware of the lack of URM males in medicine and of the shortage of URMs in healthcare. It makes me all the more committed to practicing medicine in an underserved area and mentoring youth who look like me. It motivates me to encourage URMs to seek careers in medicine.

Don't believe the hype that you don't have the grades or the scores to apply and get into med school and subsequently succeed. Study hard, take a prep class. You must be committed to working hard to get into and STAY in school. It is a long road but the rewards are many.

Once in school be open to forming relationships with your classmates, not just those who look like you. Use your faculty as a resource.

Know that if you get in, you deserve to be there just as much as the next person. Do your best to excel and get involved in organizations and your community.

user_offline.gif

Thanks to all of you who have decided to breathe life back into this thread and share such valuable information with all of us! Please keep it coming! :)

The University of Maryland School of Medicine

I feel this is the case. SNMA is by far one of the most active student groups with involvement from all classes, and minorities hold many admin positions. I have heard Dean Reece (he's A-A) is very interested, and strong in his belief that any events/happenings we do be integrated and well represented by all the class.

I believe there are 16% URM's in my class. Straight numbers, that amounts to around 25 out of approx. 160. I'm not sure about the breakdowns of specific cultures though.

Many of my classmates are great people, so if I ever "feel" my race, it's in a good way.

No. It would be one of the last places I would expect it from, honestly.

Absolutely.

It was a wake-up call to me when my mother called me after my first week or so and asked me "how many of 'us' are there?" I don't feel like there are too few URMs in general, but I was surprised when I could count the number of African American males on one hand...and I took up one of those fingers. I definitely feel as though there are too few males going into this profession, and I know that this is not just the case in Maryland.

Also, being in Baltimore, I see a lot of the social issues that give rise to the concerns about the African American community specifically. My best friend (also an A-A male, we literally grew up as brothers) moved down here this summer and works in the school system while getting his masters, and he echoes the same sentiments. Many of the youth these days are going by the wayside, and this is one of those fields you can really reach out and touch someone to work for a better life.

Just ignore what you may hear about being a URM and having an "advantage". If it does exist it is insignificant, because for every 1 URM that I know made it into med school, I can name you 5 URMs that did not make it, just like a non-URM. NO ONE makes it through this process if they are not qualified, so study hard, make sure your grades, scores, and everything else is in line, because that "help" that supposedly exists can "help" someone else out.

Also, when you get into medical school, make sure that whenever you see anyone in clinic that you feel is from a disadvantaged background, ESPECIALLY if they are at an age that getting some kind of education would be easier (obviously if they are a kid or teen, or even in their early to mid 20's), ask them what they want to do when they grow up, or what they are doing. Encourage them to get an education; if they need advice on how to go about getting one or finding money to do it, you can direct them in doing so. You have to ask occupation and education questions in the Social History portion of the H&P anyway, so an extra 1-2 minutes to ask/encourage/counsel them cant hurt. It's a small contribution on your end that could mean everything to them...even as a med student, you will be the one in the white coat, so if you are doing it, they may think they can too.

PS shoutout to AgieMD08, I interviewed at UMDNJ-RWJ and I LOVED it there. If not for Maryland, I probably would have gone there. (On a note related to this thread, I met the MS-IV Class President on the interview day, he was an A-A male, and I got the sense that there is a good support system there as well)

I feel this is the case. SNMA is by far one of the most active student groups with involvement from all classes, and minorities hold many admin positions. I have heard Dean Reece (he's A-A) is very interested, and strong in his belief that any events/happenings we do be integrated and well represented by all the class.

I believe there are 16% URM's in my class. Straight numbers, that amounts to around 25 out of approx. 160. I'm not sure about the breakdowns of specific cultures though.

Many of my classmates are great people, so if I ever "feel" my race, it's in a good way.

Absolutely.

It was a wake-up call to me when my mother called me after my first week or so and asked me "how many of 'us' are there?" I don't feel like there are too few URMs in general, but I was surprised when I could count the number of African American males on one hand...and I took up one of those fingers. I definitely feel as though there are too few males going into this profession, and I know that this is not just the case in Maryland.

Also, being in Baltimore, I see a lot of the social issues that give rise to the concerns about the African American community specifically. My best friend (also an A-A male, we literally grew up as brothers) moved down here this summer and works in the school system while getting his masters, and he echoes the same sentiments. Many of the youth these days are going by the wayside, and this is one of those fields you can really reach out and touch someone to work for a better life.

Just ignore what you may hear about being a URM and having an "advantage". If it does exist it is insignificant, because for every 1 URM that I know made it into med school, I can name you 5 URMs that did not make it, just like a non-URM. NO ONE makes it through this process if they are not qualified, so study hard, make sure your grades, scores, and everything else is in line, because that "help" that supposedly exists can "help" someone else out.

Also, when you get into medical school, make sure that whenever you see anyone in clinic that you feel is from a disadvantaged background, ESPECIALLY if they are at an age that getting some kind of education would be easier (obviously if they are a kid or teen, or even in their early to mid 20's), ask them what they want to do when they grow up, or what they are doing. Encourage them to get an education; if they need advice on how to go about getting one or finding money to do it, you can direct them in doing so. You have to ask occupation and education questions in the Social History portion of the H&P anyway, so an extra 1-2 minutes to ask/encourage/counsel them cant hurt. It's a small contribution on your end that could mean everything to them...even as a med student, you will be the one in the white coat, so if you are doing it, they may think they can too.

PS shoutout to AgieMD08, I interviewed at UMDNJ-RWJ and I LOVED it there. If not for Maryland, I probably would have gone there. (On a note related to this thread, I met the MS-IV Class President on the interview day, he was an A-A male, and I got the sense that there is a good support system there as well)

Who am I gonna date in med school?? :scared: LOL j/k! Thanks for your input. It really touched me esp. the part about encouraging others (this is my philosophy too). Its also refreshing to know that my future classmates won't be as close-minded as some of the ppl of SDN.

People, keep them coming!

Absolutely.

ooh, yay! Great news... I love Maryland. Sigh.

The philadelphia College of osteopathic medicine

Not sure, I don't attend classes much.

Not much, about 4 AA males, about 6 AA females, about 3 latino/hispanic males, about 1 latino/hispanic female out of a class of about 270

I don't attend much, but judging by how my fellow URMs get along with the rest of the class we seem to be pretty embraced by the entire class.

No

Yes, I think PCOM is a great school, great resources, passionate faculty, great networking and great reputation.

I am very often reminded of where I came from and how much our communities need us.

Try to learn spanish while in medschool. If some of your classmates speak spanish, try to organize a weekly session of spanish tutoring, so that you may be even more useful to the spanish speaking community in the U.S.

If you ever come accross an immigrant patient, please, regardless of her/his insured/noninsured - documented/undocumented status, treat her/his situation as a national issue and not a political/immigrant issue. We are already here, let's treat human beings as human beings. If you ever witness a health provider discriminating against an immigrant because of her country of origin or lack of language proficiency, please report it to the respectice authorities at your site of work.

I agree, I would love to heard about you experiences at your school.

Unfortunately, that is not the only school in that state with those experiences.

Uconn

Boy is there ever. The HCOP office is there specifically for minority students. Full scholarships are offered for post bac and med school. It's a small school usually about or less than 90 medical students. About 10-15 are minority students.

Not to bad, like I said about 10-15 black students. Not a large hispanic population there though. A sprinkle of minority faculty.

Its a great small family like atmosphere. It has a pass fail system. I think this helps. So you don't get the dog eat dog kind of people. Also med student interview applicants and can sit in on the admission committee to help select cool laid back people. Everyone is friendly

nope,

Yes

Unfortunately being a minority (especially a male minority) means that unless you go to a HBCU your are prob the only black person or maybe one of two in your science class. It was great to see so many black people so motivated and so cohesive as a group.

When I was a third year med student, I was walking to clinic and this older black lady (who could be anyone's grandmother) came up to me in my white coat and said " I'm vey proud of you" I never saw the lady before but said thank you and pretended I knew her for fear it was someone I knew but didn't recognize. But it made me think. In big cities there are few role models (real ones not ones with a mic or a basketball in there hand) I don't know about anyone else but before med school I only saw one black doctor my whole life

Do your homework. Research and network to find out as much info as you can because there are a lot of programs out there designed for minority students to help with tuition cost, scholarships, admission to medical school, dental school, post bac, etc. SNMA NMA are great resourses

And once you get in and reach your goal... Don't forget to reach back and pull the next man (or woman) up. God knows we need more role models

Im a 4th year medical student

Boston University

The ONLY reason I decided no return to Miami, or stay in atlanta where I did undergrad is because BU is not only an excellent program, but they also have TONS of resources devoted to minority recruitment and retention. The office of minority affiars is dedicated to all of our needs and always available for academic and personal advice alike

Probably pretty typical of all medical schools. I entered BU throught a special pathway program the Early medical school selection program (EMSSP) which anually contributes 15 minorities to the school. About 1-4 other black students come in through the tradiional route. BU accepts about 150 students for each class. So thats about 15 black ppl a class, and maybe a sprinkle of latino's here and there 5-7 a year. Mainly white kids, and a bunch of indians and asian kids. Most of the blacks are girls, about 1-3 black guys right now in each year of medical school.

Pretty Isolated. Not only am I black, but Im also a black male. Not many of us to go around. Being a Morehouse Man I was surrounded by really cool smart people who knew how to party. You definitely dont find those kinds of people at my med school. Having different cultural upbringings also makes a huge difference in forming friendships. I frequently felt left out when Id be hanging out with a bunch of white male classmates drinking then somone says a funny like from some whack movie like Porky's, or reciting some dave matthews liric and everyone would be laughing and stuff having a good time and I would sit there now knowing what they were talking about. It was almost impossible to find a study group also. The indian kids would share tests among each other and not share them. The asian kids would share tests among each other and not share them. I luckily got a few because I would have a homie or two who would hook me up.

Also people would intentionally not help you out! I was in a study group with an indian dude, an asian guy and a white girl. During my 1st year we studied together like 1 or 2 times a week. I remember the night before an exam we were studying I look over the indian guys shoulder and he has this reaaaly good printout of somones typed Microbiology notes that were really high-yield. I was like "what is that?". Hes like "oh..its some stuff -somone- gave me...do you want a copy?" This happened THE DAY BEFORE THE TEST. Clearly not enought time to read all 50 pages of notes. Everyone else in the group had it for several weeks already and had found it to be very very useful, and for some reason it did not come to their attention that i would LIKEWISE find that to be helpful. Needless to say after that i stopped studying with them.

Bottom-line....Ive been at BU for 4 years or so, and of the 150 classmates that I have I can only call about 10 people my friend. Ive been told by older black attendings that this is normal and just the culture of the field. Your always going to be an outsider, your always going to stand out and be scrutized more, and your not going to get the same breaks others will get. Just got to suck it up.

Not racism but definitely preferential treatment.

Hells yea. The clinical training you recieve there is bar none the BEST in the east coast, surpassing Harvard. This has been confirmed by multiple attendings that Ive worked with. Despite most people in the med school being Type A, and you feeling left out frequently ,all the black folk stick together and help each other out. If it wasnt for the other kinfolk id have nobody to study with and wouldnt have made it out of medical school. Also BOSTON if FULL of young talented professional black folk who are really friendly so socially its not lacking much.

i just love the idea of me being a young brotha who's about to be a doctor.

Goto BU, you wont regret it! Especially on Match Day :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks Titan and everyone else who are sharing their experiences, while keeping it real, and keeping this thread alive!:clap:

ATSU - School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona

Not really for first year, second year maybe.

2 black students, 3 native americans, ~5 latinos, and a handful of asians (mostly of indian descent)

We've had two class discussions on race and diversity in healthcare total.

Nothing directly, just overheard some ignorant statements:
"Why have a multicultural student organization?"
"If minorities will be in the majority by 2015, then they should stop complaining."
"I have a black friend"

Yes, if they want to serve in URM/underserved communities at Community Health Centers that understand issues of inequality and stratification in health care.
http://www.atsu.edu/soma/medschool_future/community_health_centers.htm

Its just weird to transition from undergrad with a very strong minority and multicultural community to one that has none. Also, its hard to find folks to vent with and who understand URM issues. Being a minority in medicine is a constant reminder of the reality of how the world works and it is important to fight for what you believe in, using whatever resources and networks are available.

---will finish later---

Last edited:
So I stumbled upon this thread earlier after noticing the URM sub-forum amongst the Pre-Med Allopathic threads/forums. In spite of the age of some of the posts considering that it's now 2011, a lot of the information shared has been insightful for me--especially the post from the Morehouse man :) that went to BU for med school...it'd be great if current URM students would continue chiming in.

FYI, I am a proud HBCU grad currently in the application process for the 2012 academic year. I have interviewed at both HBCUs and majority institutions recently and because I am especially interested in a few of the majority schools that I interviewed at, I would love to hear more from URM students on this topic. Specifically concerning the "moral" support or sense of camaraderie that exists or vice versa at your school, considering this is a selling point--to me--of the HBCU medical schools. They all emphasize the family/communal environment of their programs, which I think is crucial for students to sense at any med school regardless of race...

So I stumbled upon this thread earlier after noticing the URM sub-forum amongst the Pre-Med Allopathic threads/forums. In spite of the age of some of the posts considering that it's now 2011, a lot of the information shared has been insightful for me--especially the post from the Morehouse man :) that went to BU for med school...it'd be great if current URM students would continue chiming in.

FYI, I am a proud HBCU grad currently in the application process for the 2012 academic year. I have interviewed at both HBCUs and majority institutions recently and because I am especially interested in a few of the majority schools that I interviewed at, I would love to hear more from URM students on this topic. Specifically concerning the "moral" support or sense of camaraderie that exists or vice versa at your school, considering this is a selling point--to me--of the HBCU medical schools. They all emphasize the family/communal environment of their programs, which I think is crucial for students to sense at any med school regardless of race...

Personally, I would just go to the best med school that accepts you and not really think about race. If that happens to be an HBCU, then great, you're going to med school. If not and you're turning down University of Virginia, USC, Mount Sinai, etc just so you can be around other African Americans, then you are a fool.

Personally, I would just go to the best med school that accepts you and not really think about race. If that happens to be an HBCU, then great, you're going to med school. If not and you're turning down University of Virginia, USC, Mount Sinai, etc just so you can be around other African Americans, then you are a fool.

:thumbup:

You're probably more likely to get specific answers to this, especially regarding specific schools, in private messages. I agree with above posters not to avoid top schools because of race, but comfort is important. I loved the sense of community I felt at Howard and Morehouse and still to this day sometimes wish I went to one of them and really explored that instead. You definitely get a sense of community at any school, and if you're seeking the minority community it will obviously be smaller but possibly more tight-nit because of it. I love my SNMA group and the support offered by my school's CMCA (center for multicultural and community affairs), its just not the huge schoolwide community that it would be at an HBCU.

Im a 4th year medical student

Boston University

The ONLY reason I decided no return to Miami, or stay in atlanta where I did undergrad is because BU is not only an excellent program, but they also have TONS of resources devoted to minority recruitment and retention. The office of minority affiars is dedicated to all of our needs and always available for academic and personal advice alike

Probably pretty typical of all medical schools. I entered BU throught a special pathway program the Early medical school selection program (EMSSP) which anually contributes 15 minorities to the school. About 1-4 other black students come in through the tradiional route. BU accepts about 150 students for each class. So thats about 15 black ppl a class, and maybe a sprinkle of latino's here and there 5-7 a year. Mainly white kids, and a bunch of indians and asian kids. Most of the blacks are girls, about 1-3 black guys right now in each year of medical school.

Pretty Isolated. Not only am I black, but Im also a black male. Not many of us to go around. Being a Morehouse Man I was surrounded by really cool smart people who knew how to party. You definitely dont find those kinds of people at my med school. Having different cultural upbringings also makes a huge difference in forming friendships. I frequently felt left out when Id be hanging out with a bunch of white male classmates drinking then somone says a funny like from some whack movie like Porky's, or reciting some dave matthews liric and everyone would be laughing and stuff having a good time and I would sit there now knowing what they were talking about. It was almost impossible to find a study group also. The indian kids would share tests among each other and not share them. The asian kids would share tests among each other and not share them. I luckily got a few because I would have a homie or two who would hook me up.

Also people would intentionally not help you out! I was in a study group with an indian dude, an asian guy and a white girl. During my 1st year we studied together like 1 or 2 times a week. I remember the night before an exam we were studying I look over the indian guys shoulder and he has this reaaaly good printout of somones typed Microbiology notes that were really high-yield. I was like "what is that?". Hes like "oh..its some stuff -somone- gave me...do you want a copy?" This happened THE DAY BEFORE THE TEST. Clearly not enought time to read all 50 pages of notes. Everyone else in the group had it for several weeks already and had found it to be very very useful, and for some reason it did not come to their attention that i would LIKEWISE find that to be helpful. Needless to say after that i stopped studying with them.

Bottom-line....Ive been at BU for 4 years or so, and of the 150 classmates that I have I can only call about 10 people my friend. Ive been told by older black attendings that this is normal and just the culture of the field. Your always going to be an outsider, your always going to stand out and be scrutized more, and your not going to get the same breaks others will get. Just got to suck it up.

Not racism but definitely preferential treatment.

Hells yea. The clinical training you recieve there is bar none the BEST in the east coast, surpassing Harvard. This has been confirmed by multiple attendings that Ive worked with. Despite most people in the med school being Type A, and you feeling left out frequently ,all the black folk stick together and help each other out. If it wasnt for the other kinfolk id have nobody to study with and wouldnt have made it out of medical school. Also BOSTON if FULL of young talented professional black folk who are really friendly so socially its not lacking much.

i just love the idea of me being a young brotha who's about to be a doctor.

Goto BU, you wont regret it! Especially on Match Day :thumbup::D:thumbup:

This thread is extremely old but I am currently attending Morehouse College and I will be applying to the BU program next semester so it is pretty cool to hear a testimony from someone that I am pretty much following in the footsteps in. Our school is very small (3,000 students) however we do produce a nice amount of doctors. I know 4+ people (even my RA that's across the hall :laugh:) that have been accepted into the BU program this year and I hope to be one of them next year. Thanks!

I'm gonna try to revive this thread ONE MORE TIME. I have found the answers to the questions very useful and (dare I say) inspiring for a fellow URM. So here goes.....BUMP.

PS: Feel free to include any other info you think a URM premed should know.

I'm gonna try to revive this thread ONE MORE TIME. I have found the answers to the questions very useful and (dare I say) inspiring for a fellow URM. So here goes.....BUMP.

PS: Feel free to include any other info you think a URM premed should know.

:thumbup:

Does the lack of responses here indicate the very very low number of underrepresented med students, or that no one looks at this forum, or something else? ...I wonder

Does the lack of responses here indicate the very very low number of underrepresented med students, or that no one looks at this forum, or something else? ...I wonder
All of the above. I'm gonna paraphrase some suggestions given above and add some more.

I recommend you:
1) Contact the Multicultral affairs office or the school's SNMA or whatever else minority club/chapter (usually there is a contact e-mail or number on the school organization website) to talk to a URM med student.
2) Get Minority Student Opportunities in US Medicals Schools (Amazon link) ASAP because a lot of it contains minority pre-med programs which give you an early opportunity to look at schools you are interested in, as well as minority programs in the school that provide great filler answers for secondaries asking "why do you wish to attend our school?"
Dental- Opportunities for Minority Students in United States Dental Schools

3) When you get invited to an interview, ask the multicultural office if there is a URM buddy program that sets you up with a URM student to stay with b4 the interview for real talk.
4) If you are in MAPS, USNDA, some other URM pre-health organization, try to get the club to attend the professional student's regional or national conference (eg. SNMA national conference if you are MAPS). Those events will have plenty of URMs from schools all over the country and the Caribbean who you can meet and network with and would love to talk to you about their experiences at their school.

More pre-health links:
http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2556
http://people.rit.edu/~gtfsbi/Symp/mcoop.htm
http://www.aspiringdocs.org/

Last edited:
All of the above. I'm gonna paraphrase some suggestions given above and add some more.

I recommend you:
1) Contact the Multicultral affairs office or the school's SNMA or whatever else minority club/chapter (usually there is a contact e-mail or number on the school organization website) to talk to a URM med student.
2) Get Minority Student Opportunities in US Medicals Schools (Amazon link) ASAP because a lot of it contains minority pre-med programs which give you an early opportunity to look at schools you are interested in, as well as minority programs in the school that provide great filler answers for secondaries asking "why do you wish to attend our school?"
Dental- Opportunities for Minority Students in United States Dental Schools

3) When you get invited to an interview, ask the multicultural office if there is a URM buddy program that sets you up with a URM student to stay with b4 the interview for real talk.
4) If you are in MAPS, USNDA, some other URM pre-health organization, try to get the club to attend the professional student's regional or national conference (eg. SNMA national conference if you are MAPS). Those events will have plenty of URMs from schools all over the country and the Caribbean who you can meet and network with and would love to talk to you about their experiences at their school.

More pre-health links:
http://www.naahp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=2556
http://people.rit.edu/~gtfsbi/Symp/mcoop.htm
http://www.aspiringdocs.org/

Thank you for your input and advice.

Tufts University School of Medicine

The office of multicultural affairs does a great job, and SNMA does as well.

Out of a class of 196, there are 7 African-American/Black/Caribbean-American students. There might be some students of Hispanic descent, but I don't know if they openly identify as such.

Nope. Of course there are people in your class that you won't be best friends with, but that's typical of any situation that forces human interaction. We all get a long, and we're all civil; some people are closer with one another, etc., etc.

None that I'm aware of.

6) Would you recommend your school to other URMs?

Most definitely! Tufts is really a great school. Although it may lack an abundance of racial diversity, it's definitely diverse in other ways. All students are from different walks of life, add a different perspective to the class, and are accepting/get along just fine. I love my class.

Also, Tufts' accomplishments as a hospital/medical school speaks for themselves.

7) How has being a minority shaped your med school experiences?

Not really sure how to answer this. Since I've been black my whole life, I guess my experiences are the same as any other situation: just fine. Luckily, I've never really experienced any outright racism associated with my academic endeavors.

What I do realize, though, is that not everyone understands the lack of/need for more minorities in medicine. I guess being a minority in medicine makes me want to see other minorities enter/succeed in medicine, too.

8) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other potential URM medical school students?

If this is what you want to do, don't stop at anything to get it done. Right now, URM is a term because there aren't many minorities in medicine. Hopefully in the future we can do away with the term URM because medicine isn't about that stuff. It's about helping patients and making breakthroughs to improve the human condition.

Tufts University School of Medicine

The office of multicultural affairs does a great job, and SNMA does as well.

Out of a class of 196, there are 7 African-American/Black/Caribbean-American students. There might be some students of Hispanic descent, but I don't know if they openly identify as such.

Nope. Of course there are people in your class that you won't be best friends with, but that's typical of any situation that forces human interaction. We all get a long, and we're all civil; some people are closer with one another, etc., etc.

None that I'm aware of.

Most definitely! Tufts is really a great school. Although it may lack an abundance of racial diversity, it's definitely diverse in other ways. All students are from different walks of life, add a different perspective to the class, and are accepting/get along just fine. I love my class.

Also, Tufts' accomplishments as a hospital/medical school speaks for themselves.

Not really sure how to answer this. Since I've been black my whole life, I guess my experiences are the same as any other situation: just fine. Luckily, I've never really experienced any outright racism associated with my academic endeavors.

What I do realize, though, is that not everyone understands the lack of/need for more minorities in medicine. I guess being a minority in medicine makes me want to see other minorities enter/succeed in medicine, too.

8) Any tips and pieces of advice that you would like to share with other potential URM medical school students?

If this is what you want to do, don't stop at anything to get it done. Right now, URM is a term because there aren't many minorities in medicine. Hopefully in the future we can do away with the term URM because medicine isn't about that stuff. It's about helping patients and making breakthroughs to improve the human condition.

Thanks a lot jweezy. A question that I keep having when I look around SDN is this: how do real non-URM med school classmates feel about URM preferences in admissions? Does this kind of thing ever come up? When I look around SDN, it seems I find a whole lot of rabidly anti-AA people who might see URM accomplishments as "less than"

Thoughts...?

Any current student want to answer these questions?

:nod:
Yes! Can we please revive this thread? With this year's application cycle fast approaching I would LOVE to hear more about URM experiences in medical school.

Also, is it still worth purchasing the 'Minority Students Opportunities in US Medical Schools' even though the data is going on 4 years old?

Thanks a lot jweezy. A question that I keep having when I look around SDN is this: how do real non-URM med school classmates feel about URM preferences in admissions? Does this kind of thing ever come up? When I look around SDN, it seems I find a whole lot of rabidly anti-AA people who might see URM accomplishments as "less than"

Thoughts...?

seeing as how 99.999% of white people walk around completely oblivious to the fact that there is such a thing as white privilege in America i have no problem believing that there are more than a few issues..

doing a little light reading on the issue, I came across this piece about black students in residency and medical school dealing with the racism. It's a little dated (2000), but definitely worth a read because this crap isn't going anywhere in our "post racial society":laugh:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569716/

seeing as how 99.999% of white people walk around completely oblivious to the fact that there is such a thing as white privilege in America i have no problem believing that there are more than a few issues..

doing a little light reading on the issue, I came across this piece about black students in residency and medical school dealing with the racism. It's a little dated (2000), but definitely worth a read because this crap isn't going anywhere in our "post racial society":laugh:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2569716/

Interesting article, thank you for sharing it.

The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

I would say YES. Although we do not have an Office of Minority Affairs like most other schools (GW has this notion that every student is a “minority” in their own special way and they didn’t want to create a special office just for URMs for fear of exclusion), I am the new President of the GW Med Chapter of SNMA and we make sure that incoming URMs feel supported and at home. The SNMA advisor is an African American woman and she is also one of the Deans for the medical school. Everyone loves her! She has offered us great advice on how to study effectively and how to be a good medical student. All incoming students at GW Med receive a “Big Sib” but incoming URM students have the option to receive an ADDITIONAL Big Sib through SNMA, which has been such a valuable resource to me and other students. Also, within SNMA, we have our own textbook exchange program so that SNMA students never have to purchase a textbook if they so choose. We also host an annual faculty reception between URM Med student and minority faculty at the GWU Hospital and other physicians in the DC area. We all work together and help each other out if need be (study groups, social, professional support, etc.)

Out of about 177 students, about 10 black students, not that many Hispanics, maybe 3. With that said, GW is ACTIVELY recruiting minority students to apply and cultivate a relationship with. I know the directors of admissions personally and they are making this a priority. With that said, apply to GW! The class is diverse, people come from everywhere…Africa, the Caribbean, Canada, Asia, etc.

If I have ever felt left out, it’s because I don’t live in the Foggy Bottom/GW area and don’t live near my classmates, not because of my ethnicity. I live at my home in Maryland with my family to save money. Classmates are very friendly and supportive and I feel embraced. I have no problems asking a classmate that I may not know very well for clarification on a topic and they have no problems coming to me. This has definitely happened to me in the library. I will say that your experience is what you make of it. If you keep to yourself and don’t interact with people, you will naturally feel excluded. However, if you are active in your class and make an effort, you will be more than fine. As URMs, we tend to stick together, which is great. However, branch out and don’t limit yourself. Yes, most of my close friends are black, but I also have friends that aren’t. Don’t self-segregate!

Noooo.

YES! GW Med honestly looks at the whole application and we make it a point not to accept just 3.8/30+ students. Look at our MSAR page and view the ranges of GPA and MCAT that comprise the incoming class. GW Med has a supportive environment and DC is a great place to learn medicine. DC has a high minority population, especially in the underserved areas. You will receive a great clinical education and you will be prepared for residency (we had a great Match this year). I was also featured on the school’s website about why I chose GW Med. The link is below if you are interested.

http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md/admissions/interviews/accepted-opportunities

Being a minority has not negatively impacted my med school experience for sure. In fact, I take pride in proving to my classmates that black people, especially black males, are not what they appear to be like on TV. I study hard, do well in my classes, participate in student organizations and I am trying to make a name for myself. I think being a minority will help me out more during clinicals. The patient exposure I have had has been positive. The black patients see me in my white coat at the student clinic and have told me how proud they are of me, which really means a lot and is a constant reminder of why I chose medicine. I feel like this doesn't happen to my white classmates because it’s not a rare occurrence that they’re in med school. It’s about breaking those stereotypes and being the best you can be.

However, a great portion of your med school classmates will come from a family of physicians. I will be the first physician in my family and I feel like some classmates may have a slight advantage over me. When one of your classmates in physiology asks her father whose in anesthesiologist for clarification on a topic, I’m just like ohh…ok lol but with that said, there are many student who are in my similar boat, so in the end its fine. Don’t worry about that!

Getting into medical school is the hardest part. Once you’re in, med schools really want to see you graduate! Also, the opportunities once you are in med school are abundant. Be the best student you can in undergrad. Do well in your science classes and your general courses because at the end, numbers do matter to an extent. Get to know your science professors so they can write you a good LOR. Try to get a LOR from a physician as well because if a physician can see a physician in you, that speaks volumes to adcoms. If you’re not a good standardized test taker, just take the Kaplan course…please. I was stubborn, did’t do well the first time and ultimately gave in to Kaplan. It will be an investment in your future and it will pay off. Do something productive during your summers. There are many programs for pre-med students, I did SMDEP at Duke one summer and loved it. Do research if you can during undergrad, it can only help and most of your med school classmates would have done some sort of research. Research does NOT have to be “bench” research. I did two research opportunities, one in racial identity and the other in mental health disparities. It would be better if it relates to health care/medicine tho. Become involved in leadership activities in your student organizations, don’t just be general body member. Physicians are leaders and coordinate the care of patients typically in teams of health care providers. These adcoms need to know that you can lead and work collaboratively with others. Plan for mistakes and hiccups if at all possible. My life has rarely gone off my Plan A, usually the Plan C or D lol. For example, don’t submit AMCAS/AACOMAS in June, take the MCAT in August and find out that you didn't do well in September so that you wouldn't be a competitive applicant for the cycle. Then you would have wasted all that money, time and effort and you’ll be SOL. This didn't happen to me, but this has certainly happened to many. Just don’t put all your eggs in one basket. My basket has broken a few times lol

Wow, sorry for the long post. I just finished my first year and found the time to write this. I don’t often check SDN, but If you have more specific questions PM me. Good luck, you will all do great if you set your mind to it! Don't let these crazy people tell you what you can and cannot do.

The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences

I would say YES. Although we do not have an Office of Minority Affairs like most other schools (GW has this notion that every student is a “minority” in their own special way and they didn’t want to create a special office just for URMs for fear of exclusion), I am the new President of the GW Med Chapter of SNMA and we make sure that incoming URMs feel supported and at home. The SNMA advisor is an African American woman and she is also one of the Deans for the medical school. Everyone loves her! She has offered us great advice on how to study effectively and how to be a good medical student. All incoming students at GW Med receive a “Big Sib” but incoming URM students have the option to receive an ADDITIONAL Big Sib through SNMA, which has been such a valuable resource to me and other students. Also, within SNMA, we have our own textbook exchange program so that SNMA students never have to purchase a textbook if they so choose. We also host an annual faculty reception between URM Med student and minority faculty at the GWU Hospital and other physicians in the DC area. We all work together and help each other out if need be (study groups, social, professional support, etc.)

Out of about 177 students, about 10 black students, not that many Hispanics, maybe 3. With that said, GW is ACTIVELY recruiting minority students to apply and cultivate a relationship with. I know the directors of admissions personally and they are making this a priority. With that said, apply to GW! The class is diverse, people come from everywhere…Africa, the Caribbean, Canada, Asia, etc.

If I have ever felt left out, it’s because I don’t live in the Foggy Bottom/GW area and don’t live near my classmates, not because of my ethnicity. I live at my home in Maryland with my family to save money. Classmates are very friendly and supportive and I feel embraced. I have no problems asking a classmate that I may not know very well for clarification on a topic and they have no problems coming to me. This has definitely happened to me in the library. I will say that your experience is what you make of it. If you keep to yourself and don’t interact with people, you will naturally feel excluded. However, if you are active in your class and make an effort, you will be more than fine. As URMs, we tend to stick together, which is great. However, branch out and don’t limit yourself. Yes, most of my close friends are black, but I also have friends that aren’t. Don’t self-segregate!

Noooo.

YES! GW Med honestly looks at the whole application and we make it a point not to accept just 3.8/30+ students. Look at our MSAR page and view the ranges of GPA and MCAT that comprise the incoming class. GW Med has a supportive environment and DC is a great place to learn medicine. DC has a high minority population, especially in the underserved areas. You will receive a great clinical education and you will be prepared for residency (we had a great Match this year). I was also featured on the school’s website about why I chose GW Med. The link is below if you are interested.

http://smhs.gwu.edu/academics/md/admissions/interviews/accepted-opportunities

Being a minority has not negatively impacted my med school experience for sure. In fact, I take pride in proving to my classmates that black people, especially black males, are not what they appear to be like on TV. I study hard, do well in my classes, participate in student organizations and I am trying to make a name for myself. I think being a minority will help me out more during clinicals. The patient exposure I have had has been positive. The black patients see me in my white coat at the student clinic and have told me how proud they are of me, which really means a lot and is a constant reminder of why I chose medicine. I feel like this doesn't happen to my white classmates because it’s not a rare occurrence that they’re in med school. It’s about breaking those stereotypes and being the best you can be.

However, a great portion of your med school classmates will come from a family of physicians. I will be the first physician in my family and I feel like some classmates may have a slight advantage over me. When one of your classmates in physiology asks her father whose in anesthesiologist for clarification on a topic, I’m just like ohh…ok lol but with that said, there are many student who are in my similar boat, so in the end its fine. Don’t worry about that!

Getting into medical school is the hardest part. Once you’re in, med schools really want to see you graduate! Also, the opportunities once you are in med school are abundant. Be the best student you can in undergrad. Do well in your science classes and your general courses because at the end, numbers do matter to an extent. Get to know your science professors so they can write you a good LOR. Try to get a LOR from a physician as well because if a physician can see a physician in you, that speaks volumes to adcoms. If you’re not a good standardized test taker, just take the Kaplan course…please. I was stubborn, did’t do well the first time and ultimately gave in to Kaplan. It will be an investment in your future and it will pay off. Do something productive during your summers. There are many programs for pre-med students, I did SMDEP at Duke one summer and loved it. Do research if you can during undergrad, it can only help and most of your med school classmates would have done some sort of research. Research does NOT have to be “bench” research. I did two research opportunities, one in racial identity and the other in mental health disparities. It would be better if it relates to health care/medicine tho. Become involved in leadership activities in your student organizations, don’t just be general body member. Physicians are leaders and coordinate the care of patients typically in teams of health care providers. These adcoms need to know that you can lead and work collaboratively with others. Plan for mistakes and hiccups if at all possible. My life has rarely gone off my Plan A, usually the Plan C or D lol. For example, don’t submit AMCAS/AACOMAS in June, take the MCAT in August and find out that you didn't do well in September so that you wouldn't be a competitive applicant for the cycle. Then you would have wasted all that money, time and effort and you’ll be SOL. This didn't happen to me, but this has certainly happened to many. Just don’t put all your eggs in one basket. My basket has broken a few times lol

Wow, sorry for the long post. I just finished my first year and found the time to write this. I don’t often check SDN, but If you have more specific questions PM me. Good luck, you will all do great if you set your mind to it! Don't let these crazy people tell you what you can and cannot do.
I'm so happy someone from GW posted!! I'm really excited about applying to this school. Definitely one of my top choices!!

Are there any proud Latino/as out there who want to add to this thread?? I'm curious about what you all have to say! Especially those in a school outside of Florida, California, and Texas. (just because I'm OOS for all those schools :p)

I'd rather not say. I'll say it's one of the bigger schools in the south I guess. If you really want to know I may say over PM
there is a small office, but the folks that work their work REALLY hard and I appreciate the hell out of them. From the school in general, I have to say no.
3) How diverse is your class? ~12 out of 300 with 5-6 black males.
Consistently feel left out, but it's not necessarily individual students faults. It's just the atmosphere of the school, the social gatherings and venues they choose, general ignorance in both the student body and the faculty. It's pretty frustrating. The faculty is pretty standoffish when it comes to black male students from what I've seen as well. With some cool exceptions. One of the worst experiences was my very large family being snubbed by the dean during an event.
5) Have you experienced any type of racism? Microaggressions all the time, some very culturally insensitive stuff, and the worst is small groups where the ignorance of the student body and some faculty shines through. One of my tankmates was pretty sexist and ignorant my first year as well.
Depends on if they have thick skin and if they have other choices. Also some black folks that are so used to some this stuff that they don't care anymore or the tokens (you know who I mean). Seem to do fine.
I wish I went to an HBMS pretty often
Work hard. Don't let anyone make you feel inferior. If you get in, you belong there just as much as anyone else. The URM advantage is BS racist mediocre white and Asian people complain about to make themselves feel better about their mediocrity. Build yourselves a strong support network no matter where you go, and never expect anyone to give you anything. Just assume wherever you go that you are going to have to prove yourself, work accordingly. Holler if you need any specific advice

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users