Experiences re-taking prerequisites at community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredpt1313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on re-applying if I do not come off any of the wait-lists this cycle. Has anyone been accepted who retook their prereqs at community college after initially taking them at a 4 year institution? Any opinions/experiences with this type of situation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get into any schools applying right out of graduation due to a 3.2 GPA. Took the year off to re-take two classes at a community college (Made a C+ into an A and a B into an A). Im sure it got boosted slightly if grade replacement was factored in by the school, but I was able to get an acceptance from my second choice this time around!

The classes should be fairly easy and easy to get an A. I re-took in the summer after spring graduation and was only taking 2 classes at the time so I was able to focus on those two very easily.

It boosts your application GPA, and looks better to the admission staff seeing that you are doing whatever it takes to get into school rather than just working on your year/semester off.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't get into any schools applying right out of graduation due to a 3.2 GPA. Took the year off to re-take two classes at a community college (Made a C+ into an A and a B into an A). Im sure it got boosted slightly if grade replacement was factored in by the school, but I was able to get an acceptance from my second choice this time around!

The classes should be fairly easy and easy to get an A. I re-took in the summer after spring graduation and was only taking 2 classes at the time so I was able to focus on those two very easily.

It boosts your application GPA, and looks better to the admission staff seeing that you are doing whatever it takes to get into school rather than just working on your year/semester off.

Thanks for your reply. I am concerned that schools will not view this positively considering I am retaking the classes at a community college when I first took them at a university. I plan on retaking Bio I and Chem II.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply. I am concerned that schools will not view this positively considering I am retaking the classes at a community college when I first took them at a university. I plan on retaking Bio I and Chem II.

I really don't think that for most programs CC work is looked down upon or a University course somehow meaning more in the GPA calculation. If you go to CC and get an A, that's what you report on your GPA. I took nearly all of my pre-reqs at CC and got accepted in my top program. CC isn't a joke - it's still demanding and most people are also working and volunteering in CC.

Reactions: 1 users
I really don't think that for most programs CC work is looked down upon or a University course somehow meaning more in the GPA calculation. If you go to CC and get an A, that's what you report on your GPA. I took nearly all of my pre-reqs at CC and got accepted in my top program. CC isn't a joke - it's still demanding and most people are also working and volunteering in CC.

Great points, I just feel that retaking prereqs at CC as opposed to taking them once at CC are viewed differently. If I earned a C in Chem II at a university the first time, then an A at CC the second time, I feel that it gives the impression of coursework not being the same difficulty, whereas taking both at a university would show that they are the same in difficulty. But StudentRehab seems to have proven my assumptions false lol

I can't speak to retaking, but I took all of my prereqs at a CC. I had taken none of the Prereqs while getting my BA. I went back to a CC and took everything except Stats. I was accepted to multiple schools and received multiple interview invites. Even stuffy USC gave me an acceptance with all of my CC classes. I don't think most schools care about CC vs. University classes. I am sure there are some schools who care but I think they are the minority.

In my experience, the hardest part is getting into the classes, depending on where you live. In the SoCal region, it is impossible to get into any class with a lab - a 35-40 person lab would have a closed waitlist of 20 people, along with 30-40 people petitioning on the first day of class.

I would love, love, love to retake general chemistry and physiology, since I got Cs in those classes.

I did! Retook everything the second time around at a CC and got in second application cycle! I think the key is get an A....not even a B+. Straight up ace those classes. For me, CC was the only option with classes I could get into and I had to take weekend and night classes as I was working.

I have been told by multiple programs that it doesnt matter where you prerequisites were taken (CC or 4 year), but what the out come was. I went back to CC to retake two courses to boost my prereq GPA and was accepted to a couple of programs. So to answer your question, no I dont think they care ad long as your showing initiative to improve. Good luck!

Some of my friends were smart and decided to only take their pre-reqs at a CC. I can tell you Chem/Physics I/II were impossibly at my University, and some of my friends decided to no take them (since their majors didn't need them) and take them at a CC over a summer or after graduation. Saved their GPA and shouldn't affect them negatively in any way as per admissions.

and yes, they have gotten multiple acceptances.

I feel like re-taking at a CC after graduation is a VERY common thing when looking at all grad schools since everyone has a different story of how they didn't do too hot as a partying undergrad.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to call schools to hear their opinions, but it sounds like this would be acceptable based on your experiences.....Hopefully I just get accepted from one of the 5 wait-lists that I am on haha

I did! Retook everything the second time around at a CC and got in second application cycle! I think the key is get an A....not even a B+. Straight up ace those classes. For me, CC was the only option with classes I could get into and I had to take weekend and night classes as I was working.
Hi do you mind sharing where you applied/got into?

Hi do you mind sharing where you applied/got into?
I applied to University of Nebraska and Creighton and got wait listed at UNMC and accepted at Creighton. I was going to apply to more programs this cycle but dropped those apps as these 2 schools were my 1 and 2. The only thing that changed between last year (rejected, no interviews) and this year was retaking classes at a community college (interview at both places).

I've been on the fence about retaking a couple of classes and wondering how that would look on my application. I've already retaken chemistry, physics, and physiology and wondering if retaking more of the pre-reqs would be looked down upon. It seems that most of you on here have had positive outcomes after retaking but I'm still not sure whether to go for it or not. I know that some schools only take the higher grade if you have retaken, but would they see that as a red flag if you retake most of the pre-reqs or like some of you have said it's an initiative to improve?

This may or may not apply to what the OP was asking, but my undergrad degree was a BS in Athletic Training, so there were a number of pre-reqs for PT school that I did not have to take while pursuing my BS.

I have since taken the remaining pre-reqs (Gen Chem I & II w/labs, Physics I & II w/labs, 2 semesters of general biology w/labs, developmental psychology, and intro to sociology) and am on course for making A's in all of those classes.

I applied to 5 schools (UT Southwestern - rejected; UNT - rejected; UNM - interviewed, waitlisted; Oklahoma - waitlisted; St. Augustine (Austin, TX) - interviewed, accepted) and never seemed to have any real issues with having taken some pre-requs, albeit for the first time not as a retake.

So I guess I'm just echoing what most have said, that taking classes at a CC shouldn't be an issue as long as you make good grades, and mostly A's.

I think retaking is always a good thing. The best thing is of course doing well first time around but if not, get As on top so there's no doubt.

I have talked to many people that have had great experiences with community colleges for taking pre-reqs both for the first time and retaking them. I know that I have attended information sessions where I was told that if I retook my physics term that I had received a C over at a community college and received and A that I would be in a significantly better position than I was currently compared to their averages of accepted students from the prior cycle.

Knowing all this, I still decided to retake some classes through UCLA extension rather than my local community college.

Here's why. I needed to take and English composition course to be accepted as a transfer student after I decided to leave my first university after my freshman year. First off, because the community college in my area has guaranteed transfer acceptance agreements with UCLA, USC, and other UC schools, the classes are packed. Since I wasn't a current student, by the time I was allowed to register, there were absolutely no classes that filled my requirement available, not even wait list spots. The first day of class, I went to the school and sat in classes until one of the teachers gave me a spot. After all this, the class turned out to be a total joke. It was easier than my public high school English classes, but students who had taken multiple classes there kept telling me about their friends in other sections of the same class that had a significantly less challenging teacher. I started talking to friends who had gone to this community college directly out of high school and they echoed my feelings that many of the classes, including sciences, were at our high school level or easier.

I wanted to come out of my re-takes with not only a better grade, but also a thorough understanding of the subject, ensuring that I was adequately prepared for a DPT program. I didn't feel that this school was going to do that for me. The UCLA extension classes are offered at night, like many community college classes, but current undergraduate students are allowed to take the extension classes for credit, showing me that the extension classes are up to UCLA's standards.

After all that rambling, my point is that you should do your research, and take the classes at a place that you feel like you are going to get a good quality class. If it is a ****ty class through a "prestigious" school, it might not be worth it. If it is a a great class at a community college, it probably is worth it. If you have more than one option, it cant hurt to look into the choices. While getting an A in an easy class will help you get in, will it hurt you once you are in?

I am planning on re-applying if I do not come off any of the wait-lists this cycle. Has anyone been accepted who retook their prereqs at community college after initially taking them at a 4 year institution? Any opinions/experiences with this type of situation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for asking this question! I've been stressing about this same situation for quite a while now, and all these responses are making me feel ten times better! Hope you find luck this application cycle!

Reactions: 1 user