Experiences to include on VMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happybirdnerd

Reaction score
Hello! I'm just starting to fill out the VMCAS for the c/o 2028 cycle to kind of see where I stand. I'm just not completely sure what experiences to include? I have some pretty obvious major ones like jobs and multi-year volunteer projects but I'm torn on whether to include a smattering of 10-20 hour volunteer jobs / shadowing gigs, or extracurricular activities not related to vet med. Is it better to put everything on there or only the most important?

Members don't see this ad.

extracurricular activities not related to vet med
Definitely include these. Admissions committees aren't just looking at the vet med aspects of your application - the other things that you've done in your life make you a more well-rounded person, give you experiences in areas that may not seem directly related to vet med but give transferrable skills that very much are (for example, working in customer service or communications), and make you overall more memorable.* It gives more insight into who you are.

Very short-term volunteering things are a little hazier - if it was a really impactful 10 hours for you, then by all means, include it. If it was something along the lines of "I shoveled my elderly neighbor's sidewalk during the winter so she didn't have to" - you're a good person for doing that, but probably don't need to include it on an application. It won't hurt your application if you do, though.

* This is true for interviews, too, depending on the school. Not every answer needs to be vet med related to show that you're a good candidate for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have always been told by recruiters and admissions to include everything. I went as far back to early high school/late middle school. If you don't put it down on your app they won't have a chance to consider it! Of course taking this with a grain of salt as someone who is still waiting on several decisions 😅 but include everything on your VMCAS and let admissions decide what they want to count and what they don't.

Happy applying! 🥰

Reactions: 1 user
I was told to not include high school activities unless they were substantial animal/vet med experience - pet ownership doesn't generally qualify unless it was large/farm animal. The only high school activities I included were volunteering at an animal shelter & doing substantial farm/equine work for both my horse & other boarder horses. College & post-college I included everything, as it went a long way to explaining my course load & grades.

Reactions: 1 user