Experiment in Educational Topic Review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I want to try this. We did this one or twice in residency, and it seemed like it got everyone involved and a lot was learned.

I'm going to start with a question. A broad one.
The next person (and the next in turn, and so on) answers using only *one* sentence, leaving room for more and more one-sentence details to expound on the topic until we think we've got all the salient points, or until another question (ideally about the same topic) is posed. Or, since this is SDN - the thread gets derailed and someone compares someone else to a Nazi.

Ready? Our critical care folks should dig this one.

"When is intubation a BAD idea?"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
DKA, but sometimes you don’t have a choice I suppose.

Okay, I want to try this. We did this one or twice in residency, and it seemed like it got everyone involved and a lot was learned.

The next person (and the next in turn, and so on) answers using only *one* sentence, leaving room for more and more one-sentence details to expound on the topic until we think we've got all the salient points, or until another question (ideally about the same topic) is posed. Or, since this is SDN - the thread gets derailed and someone compares someone else to a Nazi.

When you have made no effort at positioning or preoxygenation

Salicylate toxicity.

Maybe more the spirit of what you’re going for.

Before you check for advanced directives.

When you have a severely hypotensive trauma patient who has an intact airway and you haven't yet treated the tension pneumothorax.

Reactions: 1 user
When you have a severely hypotensive trauma patient who has an intact airway and you haven't yet treated the tension pneumothorax.
You had me at severely hypotension trauma pt with intact airway

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
DKA, but sometimes you don’t have a choice I suppose.

I hate these. They are probably my least favorite physiologically difficult airway.

It's like a coroncopia of **** you don't want to intubate

1. severe acidosis
2. Good respiratory compensation naturally that you can't match
3. serous hyperkalemia (Despite whole body hypo) which will worsen with acidosis while you are tubing
4. hard to manage adequate ventilation after
5. might puke or already did but so dry you see aspiration later
6. +/- hypotension

My threshold is usually either such profound coma I don't have a choice, or when they start getting a combined respiratory acidosis (as in they are failing)

Laryngectomy patient

Reactions: 3 users
Intubation has been known to cure pseudo seizures lol

When your patient is Justin Bieber

Reactions: 1 user
If you can’t recognize an esophageal intubation in a patient that you give a paralytic.

When is intubation a good idea?

Burn patient with inhalational smoke injury and muffled speech worsening despite treatment prior to flight transfer to burn center.