experimental passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newton Bohr MD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys approach experimental passages??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Are you talking passages that discuss an experiment or the experimental passages they use the test takers for guinea pigs?
:laugh: Passages that discuss an experiment....

NewtonBohr said:
:laugh: Passages that discuss an experiment....

I read through the passage and note what they are testing and get some idea of how they are doing it (can always look back for the details to that if asked). Then glance at the tables and graphs, but don't spend time analyzing them. Do questions.

Pretty much I'm just approaching them the same way as I do for the rest of the passages since in the sciences.

BrettBatchelor said:
Are you talking passages that discuss an experiment or the experimental passages they use the test takers for guinea pigs?

NOT on the MCAT...

I know this off topic but wanted to address some incorrect info:

How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm

Teerawit said:
NOT on the MCAT...

HunterGatherer said:
I know this off topic but wanted to address some incorrect info:

How does the MCAT get test questions?

A large pool of content experts writes the items. New items are included in each administration of the MCAT as "field test" questions. Field test questions are not scored, but they are assessed for their performance and, if they are approved, are used on a future MCAT.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/about/faqs.htm

So let me get this straight....say on BS, some of the 77 questions will be experimental? So why would the practice exams be scaled out of 77 questions? If there were 10 experimental questions, and I got all of them wrong, then there's still potential to get a 15 scaled score on that section?

Teerawit said:
So let me get this straight....say on BS, some of the 77 questions will be experimental? So why would the practice exams be scaled out of 77 questions? If there were 10 experimental questions, and I got all of them wrong, then there's still potential to get a 15 scaled score on that section?
Yes.
The practice exams are out of 77 to keep your stamina since you don't know which is experimental.

BrettBatchelor said:
Yes.
The practice exams are out of 77 to keep your stamina since you don't know which is experimental.

Can you please clarify which of my questions "yes" answers? I wanna get everything straight...your answer was a vague response to my questions, sorry

How many passages are experimental? Approx. how many questions are experimental? Are discretes experimental? etc.

Teerawit said:
Can you please clarify which of my questions "yes" answers? I wanna get everything straight...your answer was a vague response to my questions, sorry
Sorry. Yes some of the 77 questions are experimental. Yes you can miss all of the experimental questions and still get a 15. There are 77 on pts to mimic the real deal. Most of the AAMC published tests to my knowledge are real passages spliced.

BrettBatchelor said:
There are 77 on pts to mimic the real deal. Most of the AAMC published tests to my knowledge are real passages spliced.

oo yeah...multiple forms...gotcha, thanks!