Explain bad grades due to depression?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lk901

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The main reason I'm posting is because I got an F last quarter, and I would like to know if there is anyway I could change it or remove it. Even if it cannot be removed, I was hoping that I could talk with the professor and request him to fail me less by giving me C- instead or higher than the F I have, so that I get at least some grade points. Maybe I could explain to him what I'm about to share. I wasn't even going to show up for the final because I had no chance at all, I probably got a 5/100 and just for blabbing stuff down. I was prepared no more than a kindergartener would be for taking a quantum mechanics final exam. I only went because I figured that I might as well write down something in attempt to improve my grade than nothing at all. Most of the students can retroactively drop if they didn't take the final, but I was not sure if I could because my schools (engineering) academic policies don't discuss the issue, otherwise I wouldn't have shown up. And I was too scared to talk with my counselor about it since they don't usually give you the straight answers and she already knew what was going on when withdrew from a previous quarter. My GPA is 3.64 without this course, but 3.49 with it.

I was severely depressed. And I didn't withdrawal or drop because I was told by someone who has a PHD he wouldn't mention depression as the reason to petition to drop a course. Although I would speculate that depression and anxiety are on my medical records because I did see some psychologists for a couple years and was treated for a bunch of stuff, including being in an outpatient program. Somehow, due to his tonality, I got from this that if graduate school admissions officers find out your were depressed then you're screwed even more than having gotten the F for other reasons, say because you just couldn't do the coursework or you missed the final.

Let me explain. The reason that I'm depressed is essentially all consequential. I believe that anyone subjected to what I have been would feel the same way. Here is what was causing the depression: I haven't had any friends in the last 5 years and haven't had a girlfriend (which was only for about 3 weeks) for 8 years and I've never had a friend as a girl. I don't look abnormal or anything, and if you saw a picture of me, you would think I'm a cool guy. So I can change and I have been working on it. Basically it was just due to extreme social anxiety.

Like I said I've seen psychologists before, but they never were a help. I'm now just trying to force myself into talking with people.

I told my doctor last year during a check up about the problem. He offered me some psych medications, but I declined. I went to school and actually had to withdrawal from a previous term because of it. I did really well in the term in between because due to the nature of the courses that term I actually had some social exposure by talking with the people in my classes. I would even talk to them outside of class, but I never actually hung out with any of them.

Now I'm considering going back to the doctor and telling him about what has happened and see if he can help me by writing a note or something. But would it even help now since I already took the final? Maybe at least be more convincing to the professor, so that he can fail me less by giving me a C- instead of an F?

I'm not sure what to do, can you guys offer me some suggestions?

Either way, I'm planning on getting my social life together before I continue with school.

I'm confident that once I do get my social life together together I can do 2 years with at least a 3.7, if not higher. But even if I do this my GPA will be .100 lower. And in the meantime it will hurt me in finding jobs and obtaining good extracuricculars.

I don't even know if I want to go into the health field, but I'd like to keep the option open, and I'm posting here because you guys probably have a lot of experience with related issues.

And I did petition to drop this course a couple weeks before the final but I did not mention depression. I just told them that I wasn't prepared for it from a prerequisite stand point (even though there technically were no prerequisites for this course). This is also true, but the main reason is being depressed. I was able to do okay in my other classes because I had previous exposure to the subjects. The petition was denied.

Oh yeah, and if I do apply to a graduate school. The withdrawal and F is very likely to come up. In terms of good and bad explanations, how would fare to tell them I was depressed?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I have a few things to say...
lk901 said:
Even if it cannot be removed, I was hoping that I could talk with the professor and request him to fail me less by giving me C- instead or higher than the F I have, so that I get at least some grade points...My GPA is 3.64 without this course, but 3.49 with it...I told my doctor last year during a check up about the problem. He offered me some psych medications, but I declined.
First, You proabably will not be able to get the grade changed from an "F" to a "C-", however, do speak to your professor about your situation and possibly ask for a "W". It'll look a lot better on your transcript than an "F", and will not be factored into your GPA.
Second, If you do not get the "W", a 3.49 is not that bad. Sure its not a 3.64 but I am assuming that you do still have some time to boost your GPA. Work with that, it's not like you fell below a 3.0.
Last, about the meds, dont be so dead set against it. The are not magic pills but they may provide you with the little bit of relief you need to get through this. Anxiety and depression often times go hand in hand and if so, you cannot treat one without treating the other. One med Rx often times will not do but with the proper combination, you could feel better in due time. The medications are not addictive and the side effects are minimal. Consider it, along with therapy you really can get better. They are both common disorders and you are not alone.

I do wish you the best of luck, I understand that it is tough right now but hang in there. It gets better, it gets easier. :thumbup:

I personally don't think it is even fair of you to ask a professor to change your grade. A good portion of the class tried their hardest to get a C-, why shouldn't everyone's grades get raised. I'm sure they all could come up with some reason they feel they deserve it. Also, if you can do OK in your other classes (ie concentrate, study, get enough sleep, etc) to pass, then you don't have depression. It is not a selective disorder, and I think any good professor would need proof that your entire life was majorly altered by depression before he/she would consider helping you out. And I still don't think that simply raising your grade would even be considered then. That is truly unethical and I don't think a professor should be asked to do that.
On the other hand, your options are 1. Just keep the F. 2. Take the class over.
These are the responsible choices and the only ones that I think would deserve any respect. So if you're simply worried about what a future employer or graduate school admissions committee would think of an F, imagine if they found out you unethically got a C- for work that deserved an F.
It should be a motivation factor for you to get help, to always see that F and know that if you don't get better that is what's in store for you.
Sorry to sound harsh, I do feel for you, but that's just my take on it.

elephino said:
Also, if you can do OK in your other classes (ie concentrate, study, get enough sleep, etc) to pass, then you don't have depression. It is not a selective disorder, and I think any good professor would need proof that your entire life was majorly altered by depression before he/she would consider helping you out.

Are you serious?! Some diagnosis! IF YOU CAN DO OK IN YOUR OTHER CLASSES YOU DONT HAVE DEPRESSION" That may be the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Im sorry but that pisses me off. Compassion, guess not. Thats just my take...

Reactions: 1 user
lk901 said:
Let me explain. The reason that I'm depressed is essentially all consequential. I believe that anyone subjected to what I have been would feel the same way. Here is what was causing the depression: I haven't had any friends in the last 5 years and haven't had a girlfriend (which was only for about 3 weeks) for 8 years and I've never had a friend as a girl. I don't look abnormal or anything, and if you saw a picture of me, you would think I'm a cool guy. So I can change and I have been working on it. Basically it was just due to extreme social anxiety.

I seriously doubt the adcom will want to hear that you're not a people person and that you can be depressed so easliy AND elect against meds...

nico05 said:
Are you serious?! Some diagnosis! IF YOU CAN DO OK IN YOUR OTHER CLASSES YOU DONT HAVE DEPRESSION" That may be the single most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Im sorry but that pisses me off. Compassion, guess not. Thats just my take...

Why is it rediculous? Did s/he only have depression during the hours of that particular class? Serious depression affects all facets of your life, not just a few. Maybe s/he was just upset about something and didn't really have depression, in which case s/he doesn't deserve to have his grade changed.

There's no such thing as "failing you less". There's failing, and there's not failing. A C- is a passing grade. I agree that the best you could possibly hope for is to get your F changed to a W. You didn't pass the class, and therefore don't deserve to get a C- or D or D- or anything other than an F or maybe a W.

Sorry for being harsh, but it's the truth: if you didn't put in the work necessary to pass the class you don't deserve to pass it, no matter what the excuse. I agree that the professor may look at it suspiciously that you failed his/her class but passed your other classes. If you do have depression get treatment for it, it's not going to go away on its own. If you don't have depression, don't use it as an excuse. People who actually do suffer from depression don't need you or anyone else belittling their illness by using it as an excuse for poor performance or just plain laziness.

As far as explaining it in the future, I think your best bet is just to tell the truth, and own up to it. Take responsibility for your own failures. Just say, "I just didn't put in the work necessary to pass the class, and I got an F, and rightly so. I've learned from the experience, yadda yadda yadda." You're not the only person in the world who's failed a class, and you won't be blacklisted from grad schools because of it.

Think about what you could've done to pass the class. Whatever your situation, you could have done something. Learn from that experience. Were you depressed and not on medication? Maybe medication will help you. Were you just falling behind and doing nothing to catch up? Don't let that happen again.

Learn from your mistakes, and move forward with your life. Good luck with the rest of school!

JKDMed said:
Why is it rediculous? Did s/he only have depression during the hours of that particular class? Serious depression affects all facets of your life, not just a few. Maybe s/he was just upset about something and didn't really have depression, in which case s/he doesn't deserve to have his grade changed.

ok doctor? grades can be very inaccurate in measuring aptitude or whatever the heck they're supposed to measure... i remember nearly getting an f in one of my high school classes and doing adequately in the rest when i was going through severe depression. most of the reason for me doing so poorly was that that class was based heavliy (70%ish) on homework, which depression kept me from doing.

Tough crowd. What I am saying is that yes, you can function and get good grades while depressed, but it's not something that comes and goes during certain hours. Maybe the depression was reactive, but chances are if this indivdual is seeking help and a professional suggested meds, it is not a depression caused by a particular incident. Serious depression does affect all facets of life, I do not argue that, which is why one more class could be too much for one person to handle. It adds more fuel to the fire, so to speak. One more situation can cause a person to break...who's to say what the breaking point is for any one person...you know who? THAT PERSON!!! If someone says "I've had enough" or "I cant handle it anymore", they have. No, they shouldnt be given a grade that is not deserved, but when you are there, you are really going to want some professor to help you out. Regardless, not the point. Im just doubting the overjudgemental attitudes and ignorance of those who are replying.

Learning lessons the hard way is just that: hard. Like you, I was depressed for a good chunk of college, with some post-traumatic stress mixed in as well. I never got an F, but I got a bunch of permanent incompletes, some C's, and I have a lot of explaining to do when I go on interviews. So I really can sympathize.

Now for the "tough love" part... I feel that you've learned a lesson here: you need to manage your illness first, and deal with school in an appropriate way second. If you are failing a class, drop it during the timeframe that you have available. I have never heard of a student having to petition to drop a course if you do it within the deadline, so next time, use the power you do have to make the right decisions.

You need to start seeing a therapist, and I would suggest an MD/DO as opposed to PhD in case you need meds management. (There are more practicing psycotherapists with med licenses than most people think.) Or, if you find a PhD that you really like, make sure that he/she is knowledgeable about meds and can discuss your situation with an FP/IM physician so that you can get the pharmacotherapy you need.

With regards to this statement...

I was severely depressed. And I didn't withdrawal or drop because I was told by someone who has a PHD he wouldn't mention depression as the reason to petition to drop a course. Although I would speculate that depression and anxiety are on my medical records because I did see some psychologists for a couple years and was treated for a bunch of stuff, including being in an outpatient program. Somehow, due to his tonality, I got from this that if graduate school admissions officers find out your were depressed then you're screwed even more than having gotten the F for other reasons, say because you just couldn't do the coursework or you missed the final.

Gee, I hope it's not true, because I wrote about my experience with depression in my personal statement. Honesty is best; it lends credibility, and you need to ensure folks at schools that you understand your situation and are working to better yourself. If you apply to MD/DO schools, I doubt there is a rational Ad Com that would discriminate against someone with a past history of depression, esp if you can spin your experience positively and show what you've learned. I'm not worried (haven't been screened out of a secondary yet, key word being yet) and you shouldn't be either. Your experience is your experience, it's what makes you unique and what informs your decisions in life.

But this should not be your worry currently. You have time to think about applying to any grad programs. What you need to worry about now is getting better. Don't go back this semester unless you're ready to face the challenge and prepared to take care of yourself. Additionally, it would be really crappy of you to ask the professor to give you a C-, a grade that signifies achievement at the 70-73% correct level, when you walked into the exam and got a 5%. You don't deserve the C-, you deserve the F. Yes, that is harsh, but you've learned a very hard lesson: you need to fix problems before they get out of control. You didn't in this case, but you can in the future.

Your GPA is still excellent. You'll be fine, if you work on this.

my advice is simple. just retake the class. this time make sure youre studying and make sure youre getting the help you need....

Members don't see this ad :)
That sucks. Once I got a C+ in a class because the professor was being a ***** to me during class and that made me all upset about the class and it prevented me from studying effectively for the class. Good luck.

JKDMed said:
Maybe s/he was just upset about something and didn't really have depression, in which case s/he doesn't deserve to have his grade changed.

I don't recommend you go into psychiatry. Upset about something for 5-8 years? Did you not read the original post?

To the Original Poster: I would recommend mentioning this in your PS but do not sound like you are complaining. You have to put a positive spin on everything that happens to you. Even though it may have negatively affected your grades, make the overall effect on your life and future a positive one. I had a slightly similar situation - I herniated a disc in my back while weightlifting and I could barely walk let alone dress myself in the morning. Needless to say, I had a rough semester academically. I don't recommend asking the professor to change a grade as that will make you sound like a complainer. Depression is a very serious thing - Don't listen to these insensitive jerks that pry you for explanations as to how you could have done well in other classes - they don't know all the details about your life and after reading what they wrote, I wouldn't tell them anything more.

Good luck in the future.

one quarter, i got an F and a C-. I had my personal reasons for why I did so poorly but the adcoms have heard it all. instead of giving an excuse, i just did well for the rest of my college career. im sure the adcoms will see that that quarter was an exception.

nico05 said:

Sorry that pisses you off, but I have my degree in Psychology and I have worked in a mental health institution evaluating mentally ill people for 4 years, working under the close supervision of psychiatrists. The fact is, as others have stated, that true clinical depression DOES affect multiple facets in one's life, and does not occur during one class only, regardless if you are "familiar with the content of the class". This issue is solely one of academic achievement and university policy, not one of depression, even though the OP might have symptoms of a mental illness, more likely social phobia.
Having said that, OP, I really suggest you get into some therapy which includes exposure and desensitization to your fear (ie social situations). They prove very successful for these kind of problems.

elephino said:
Sorry that pisses you off, but I have my degree in Psychology and I have worked in a mental health institution evaluating mentally ill people for 4 years, working under the close supervision of psychiatrists. The fact is, as others have stated, that true clinical depression DOES affect multiple facets in one's life, and does not occur during one class only, regardless if you are "familiar with the content of the class". This issue is solely one of academic achievement and university policy, not one of depression, even though the OP might have symptoms of a mental illness, more likely social phobia.
Having said that, OP, I really suggest you get into some therapy which includes exposure and desensitization to your fear (ie social situations). They prove very successful for these kind of problems.

<Snort>

Anyone who is such an expert in psychology as you claim to be knows that you cannot diagnose or rule out diagnoses over the internet, for pete's sake. I had clinical depression during college but had no failing grades; in many semesters, I got A's in some classes while doing crappy in others. Does that mean it wasn't 'affecting my life' the way it should have been in the textbook sense? Psychiatric diagnosis is an imperfect science and many practitioners use the diagnostic guidelines as just that- guidelines, not rock solid criteria, since we're not dealing with a quantifiable disease here. We're dealing with quality of life and mental/emotional capacity for functioning. Did you know that almost nothing in the DSM-IV can be diagnosed without the criterion about symptoms causing distress and disruption in one's life? Mental illness is all about distress, disruption, and finding a diagnosis that best fits, although may not fit perfectly. Diagnosis is not an end, it is a means toward better living, and you are not being a responsible psychologist if you insinuate that this person does not have the diagnosis that he/she reports. Once again, you cannot diagnose/rule out diagnoses based on one freakin' post, and extolling your intelligence on this board and then using those credentials to discredit one's diagnosis is irresponsible. And lame.

elephino said:
This issue is solely one of academic achievement

How can you possibly say this? Academic achievement is not a stand-alone issue in any respect. A student in college is not "solely" dealing with classes. And see stinkycheese's post too - s/he wrote a lot of good stuff.

Apparently you didn't clean your ears out for the 4 years you spent in that hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
elephino said:
touchy subject

[sarcasm on] I thought you were an expert. Please enlighten us further. [/sarcasm off]

Anyone who "knows" my presence here on this board knows that I enjoy lively debate on issues that are important to me. In all seriousness and with sarcasm turned off, do you have anything else to add to this discussion, or do you stand by your previously stated opinion?

elephino said:
Sorry that pisses you off, but I have my degree in Psychology and I have worked in a mental health institution evaluating mentally ill people for 4 years, working under the close supervision of psychiatrists...This issue is solely one of academic achievement and university policy, not one of depression, even though the OP might have symptoms of a mental illness, more likely social phobia.

I too, have a degree in psychology, as well as having plenty of exposure to various disorders on various levels, this however is not the issue. IT IS AN ISSUE OF DEPRESSION if the depression is causing a students grades to suffer as it clearly is in this situation; you would agree with me considering that you yourself stated that "depression affects all facets of life", twice.

stinkycheese said:
<Snort>

Anyone who is such an expert in psychology as you claim to be knows that you cannot diagnose or rule out diagnoses over the internet, for pete's sake. I had clinical depression during college but had no failing grades; in many semesters, I got A's in some classes while doing crappy in others. Does that mean it wasn't 'affecting my life' the way it should have been in the textbook sense? Psychiatric diagnosis is an imperfect science and many practitioners use the diagnostic guidelines as just that- guidelines, not rock solid criteria, since we're not dealing with a quantifiable disease here. We're dealing with quality of life and mental/emotional capacity for functioning. Did you know that almost nothing in the DSM-IV can be diagnosed without the criterion about symptoms causing distress and disruption in one's life? Mental illness is all about distress, disruption, and finding a diagnosis that best fits, although may not fit perfectly. Diagnosis is not an end, it is a means toward better living, and you are not being a responsible psychologist if you insinuate that this person does not have the diagnosis that he/she reports. Once again, you cannot diagnose/rule out diagnoses based on one freakin' post, and extolling your intelligence on this board and then using those credentials to discredit one's diagnosis is irresponsible. And lame.

I agree with StinkyCheese. I had a family member in college with depression and he loved and majored in Music. He would only go to his music classes and get A's. His GenEd classes like english, math, science he selectivlely chose not to go and well he um...flunked outta school....So ppl who are clinically depressed can manage some classes and not others...and mental diseases are very hard to diagnose and classify!

VPDcurt said:
How can you possibly say this? Academic achievement is not a stand-alone issue in any respect. A student in college is not "solely" dealing with classes. And see stinkycheese's post too - s/he wrote a lot of good stuff.

Apparently you didn't clean your ears out for the 4 years you spent in that hospital.

haha. also agree with this post. Undergrad is pretty tough to deal with academically and personally. People are immature and don't know what to do with their lives....People have to deal not just with studying, but roomates, family, personal issues and living on their own for the first time as well as time mgmt, and financial issues....That's what makes college hard....the balance of things...its not just academic achievement! I had a hard tijme adjusting my first year of college..dealing with new ppl and my roomate and that affected my academics tremendously!

Boy, no offense to either of you-but having a bachelor's degree in psychology just doesn't make you an expert. I am a biology major and I KNOW I'm not an expert on anything.

However, I think this OP should take stinkycheese advice (and Lauren Hill's)- and turn a negative into a positive. I, too, have a large pimple on my academic record- and guess what I attributed it to?? Math anxiety!! It really was bonified math anxiety-I only had that reaction to math- and once I learned how to curb that I realized I could do math. In my PS I just mentioned that I gave in to math anxiety-learned a lesson from not withdrawing while there was still time, and I talked about how I learned to get around freezing up when encountering intimidating or unfamiliar subject matter- which will really help in medical schools.
I also agree that being honest is the number one best thing to do. Talk about what you learned from your experience- and how that will prepare you for med school and the life of a doctor. This shows character, confidence, and strength.
OP-Good luck with your anxiety problems-you sound like a nice person.

It seems to be in your best interest to simply take the F and attempt the class again. I wouldn?t want too many people knowing needlessly about a serious medical condition. I would think that it could be detrimental to your future but then again this will come out in the future if you pursue a career in medicine?. which I assume you will since you are here.

And frick people.... when you start waving your credentials around like that you just agitate the rabble...look what you did to stinky?. :laugh:

yposhelley said:
Boy, no offense to either of you-but having a bachelor's degree in psychology just doesn't make you an expert. I am a biology major and I KNOW I'm not an expert on anything.

Thank you! Now where is Jebus when you need him! :scared:

I wasnt saying that I was an expert, just trying to prove a point...Also, I do like to see some more informed opinions here. Almost everything can be made into a positive experience somewhere in life...it's our individual responsibility to make these positive experiences happen.

I LOVE that quote about depression-its so true.

LK901

Have u thought of seeing a psychiatrist? U should take Paxil or some other antidepressant....they help alot...I know from personal experience. I've also known someone with social anxiety disorder and that affects yer life in many ways-academically and personally. So you let yer academics suffer b/c u didn't want to take meds...I'm sorry that is yer fault. I don't think u can get yer grade raised...u might have to accept it.
Like other ppl tell u...an F is not the end of the world. I had one F on my college transcript and that didn't stop me from applying to grad school or taking more undergrad classes to boost my GPA. Its a bad mistake but u learn, live and go on with life...I doubt yer prof. is gonna change that grade for u. Tough luck.
Also most jobs don't look at transcripts so I wouldn't worry about that...as long as u graduate college u shouldn't have too much problem finding a job.
For grad school....do very well on the GRE, retake some undergrad classes and u will be fine. a 3.5 is very good GPA for grad school I think.
My cousin had depression through highschool and college....she prolly didn't go to all her classes...she also had a rough time...guesss where she is now? SHe graduated med school, finished her residency and is now a psychiatrist!
Don't let social anxiety hinder u from living....get help....it won't go away by itself...
Also, how can u not have any friends? Are u antisocial? Is it the way u act? Don't worry so much about having a gf. That will come with time...Join some clubs, meet ppl at work....Talk to ppl in class...go out there and socialize...the harder u force yer self to make friends I'm sure u will eventually get some...DO u have a roomate? DO u get along with him...there's many avenues for aperson to make friends...hang in there and keep trying!

thewzdoc said:
Thank you! Now where is Jebus when you need him! :scared:
Who is Jebus?

yposhelley said:
I LOVE that quote about depression-its so true.

Frick...I forgot that was on my signature....

OP...I didn't mean any disrespect to your condition....

The depression referred to on my signature is not a clinical form....it's the "My refrigerator is broken and all me beer is warm"....I'm pissed but I'm too lazy to go down and get ice..... :thumbup:

medtechv79 said:
LK901

Have u thought of seeing a psychiatrist? U should take Paxil or some other antidepressant....they help alot...

....please don't "prescribe" medications over the internet to a stranger.... :thumbdown:

nico05 said:
I wasnt saying that I was an expert, just trying to prove a point...Also, I do like to see some more informed opinions here. Almost everything can be made into a positive experience somewhere in life...it's our individual responsibility to make these positive experiences happen.

Obviously, the OP is still in the stage where he has yet to make a positive experience out of this whole matter. If he learns to withdraw from classes if he has future problems, or takes more responsibility for his mental health, or retakes the class again with a good grade-or a combination of the three- or I don't know-use your imagination I can't spell it all out- once he does turn it into a positive- he'll be able to write about it in his personal statement.
The point is to not crawl into a hole and die just because you are not impeccable and unflawed. Never give up- and make a point of that to adcoms. Its much better than just stating "I was under emotional duress when I got that grade-whine whine whine"
Who wants an anal retentive-never suffered any setbacks, perfect physician as their PCP. Do you think that most of the patients you treat will be able to connect with that kind of doctor? Real people suffer depression, setbacks, make mistakes-and having some of those yourself is one way to understand and have compassion for people suffering from those types of problems.

Hope that was informed enough for you -although I'm not claiming to be an expert either.

Who is Cerb? Ha ha

thewzdoc said:
Frick...I forgot that was on my signature....

OP...I didn't mean any disrespect to your condition....

The depression referred to on my signature is not a clinical form....it's the "My refrigerator is broken and all me beer is warm"....I'm pissed but I'm too lazy to go down and get ice..... :thumbup:
Oh, well that is different, then. I don't think its offensive, however, just astute. Oten people become depressed when they are angry for a long time but feel helpless to change their situation-hence they lose the desire to try.
Crap-now I'm sounding like a psychologist.

yposhelley said:
If he learns to withdraw from classes if he has future problems, or takes more responsibility for his mental health, or retakes the class again with a good grade-or a combination of the three- or I don't know-use your imagination I can't spell it all out- once he does turn it into a positive- he'll be able to write about it in his personal statement.

I know, thats what Iwas getting at...trying to keep it positive...

Do you think that most of the patients you treat will be able to connect with that kind of doctor? Real people suffer depression, setbacks, make mistakes-and having some of those yourself is one way to understand and have compassion for people suffering from those types of problems.

I've been there too, I'm not just making assumptions here...

Hope that was informed enough for you -although I'm not claiming to be an expert either

It was :thumbup:

[ :D I know-my comment was more for the other psychology major.

This whole application process is so dehumanizing-its no wonder we feel like robots when we finally do make it to the interview.

yposhelley said:
[ :D I know-my comment was more for the other psychology major.

This whole application process is so dehumanizing-its no wonder we feel like robots when we finally do make it to the interview.
\

Its Cool ;) I hear you !

To the OP:

I guess I'll chime in. For me, the first 3yrs of college were difficult. Between trying to assimilate with a new group of people and get out of a co-dependent relationship, it took bad grades to realize that my problems (some self created by sticking it out with that a**hole) were interfering with my long-term goals of becoming a physician. I withdrew from o-chem, got a D in biochem, and 3 C's in upper level science classes. It's not the end of the world, but it's important that you learn from your mistakes. Everyone has problems in life and it's good to learn healthy ways to deal. You're headed in the right direction by seeking help.

I only became a stronger person by admitting my mistakes and I know that when I have to deal with another life altering experience, I'll be able to deal without totally blowing off any responsibilities (at least I hope so).

I'm sorry you're struggling. The only advice I can give is to fight the apathy slump typically associated with depression and keep up on the little things (ie class drop dates). And if you can't do it on your own, don't be afraid to ask for help.

good luck

wow, hope none of you guys go into psychiatry.

Wow, stinkycheese-you're still on? I think you won the debate anyways.

Obviously, due to the informed nature of her post, LauraMac has a BA in Psychology and therefore can recognize bad and unprofessional therapy when she sees it.

Tee hee hee. Don't get into an argument with SC.

yposhelley said:
Wow, stinkycheese-you're still on? I think you won the debate anyways.

Obviously, due to the informed nature of her post, LauraMac has a BA in Psychology and therefore can recognize bad and unprofessional therapy when she sees it.

Tee hee hee. Don't get into an argument with SC.

I'm on again this morning after going to bed last night :) Thanks for the reply!

LauraMac said:
wow, hope none of you guys go into psychiatry.

Harsh, but I won't bite

To the OP:

Not one medical school addmissions committee member is going to overlook that grade based on your excuse/reason.

Why?

They don't need to, they have hundreds of other applicants with better grades who don't seem to suffer from depression (or laziness, or disinterest or whatever was going on), and they will go with the applicant that is more proven then you despite your personal circumstances.

I think you should not say a word about your grade aside from saying you should have done better, you made mistakes x, y, and z and you moved on from it.

I think the biggest mistake you could make would be to draw attention to that grade (which really sounds like an excuse), AND in general, come off as emotionally fragile.

Your overall gpa is fine. You might retake the class w/ a different prof, but thats it.

Depression is a medical condition like any other, an illness. I think it's a valid reason for failing a class. Conflating depression with "laziness" and "emotional instability" perpetuates the stigma on mental illness in this society. As future doctors, I think we need to be aware that depression is an illness like any other and that, like any other illness, it can be recovered from.

Original poster, the key is to show that you have recovered. Try retaking the course or applying for a Withdraw grade. It'll help if your grades rebound, showing this was a one-time issue that's now dealt with.

OP isn't wrong to be wary of meds; I ended up failing a semester due to trying antidepressant meds that made me apathetic and unable to concentrate. Contrary to what other people may say, medical schools aren't going to exclusively admit 100% perfect people who've never experienced any adversity or made any mistakes in their lives. I'm a firm believer that no one is ever in a situation where their past will make it completely impossible to achieve a goal, and in the grand scheme of things, this is really relatively minor.

some reason they feel they deserve it. Also, if you can do OK in your other classes (ie concentrate, study, get enough sleep, etc) to pass, then you don't have depression. It is not a selective disorder, and I think any good professor would need proof that your entire life was majorly altered by depression before he/she would consider helping you out. And I still don't think that simply raising your grade would even be considered then. That is truly unethical and I don't think a professor should be asked to do that.
On the other hand, your options are 1. Just keep the F
I agree that changing the grade would not be an appropriate option, but this comment was far off the mark. "It is not a selective disorder"? Depression is incredibly versatile and affects everyone in a different way, sometimes the person cannot even explain how they are feeling themselves. To claim that it isn't possible this person could be unable to do well in this class only due to depression shows how little you must know about depression. It is not a one-size fits all diagnosis, treatment, symptoms, situation AT ALL. Period. Any good doctor, psychiatrist, counselor, et cetera, would know and agree with that.
Personally, I was severely depressed my whole life and through high school and was able to keep pretty good grades, except during my junior year it got so bad and I was more suicidal and unmotivated to do anything (among other issues due to depression) that my grade finally slipped in one class- math. It HORRIFIED me so much to have to that homework, I couldn't concentrate on it, would feel panicked and break down when I even vaguely thought about it, and almost failed the class- luckily, I started getting help for depression and in the end was able to scrape by. But I had good grades in all my other classes- it was hard, but possible. To claim that there's no way this could happen is just silly. You cannot know what this person's individual case is like, nor do you know everything- or, it seems, much at all- about mental health conditions..