Explaining my transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollyPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been following this forum for some time and I finally decided to join. I just finished my undergraduate degree and I am applying to PT school. I hope some of you can help me out with my issue: I graduated high school in 2002 and went to University of Texas for undergrad. From 2002 - 2006, I completely messed around, took advantage of my parents trust, money and pretty much destroyed my opportunity at the university. I pulled out of Austin in my last semester and moved to Houston. Within the past four years, I know I have gotten back on the right track but I am worried about my GPA from Austin. Here are some of my numbers, I would love some advice on how to present my self to the schools I am applying to ( I am going early to introduce myself and explain my transcript).

2002-2006 : University of Texas GPA < 2.0 (Absolutely horrid)
2006-2009 : University of Houston at Clear Lake B.S. Fitness and Human Performance GPA 3.5
1000+ Inpatient Hours at Clear Lake Rehabilitation Hospital (currently employed)
250+ Outpatient hours at Clear Lake Rehab
300 + Geriatric Setting - Nifty after Fifty (currently employed)
GRE Math 680 Verbal 440 Analytical 3.5

Applying to: UTMB, Texas State, UT Health Science Center San Antonio, and TWU

Do I have any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

On the PTCAS application there is a portion of the basic info section that says something like: "Does your academic record accurately reflect your abilities?" and it gives you space to explain it...you can explain the situation there. Definitely take advantage of that opportunity. I used that section to explain that there were a few "independent studies" on my transcript, but that one of them was actually human physiology because my school didn't offer that as a course, so I worked one on one with a professor, etc. There have been other people on here I believe who had less than stellar academic histories and then turned it around and came back with stronger grades like you did...it's definitely do-able. Plus your quantitative GRE is competitive and your hours are great.

Thanks for your advice Dancer but the schools I am applying to don't use PTCAS, a couple of them are applytexas.org and the others have their own applications. I am going to explain it my essay and I am meeting with these schools early to explain it in person. My problem is I dont have a specific reason for why my grades were awful except lack of maturity and foolishness. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh gotcha...I didn't know those weren't PTCAS schools.

There may be a similar space/question on those apps like there is on PTCAS, otherwise mention it in your essay/wherever you have the chance.

And I would be straight up and honest with them about it...clearly you were more focused the second time around and got good grades. That shows you're committed.

If they look at the last 60 hrs of your transcripts then they should see the difference and they can probably put two and two together. And just like dancer says, definitely put it in your essay. It will actually make you look better in my opinion, shows that you are serious about pursuing PT/your dreams.

I will definitely be taking advantage of the "does this reflect your ability" section. I went to college for the first time in 1986 and partied non-stop and dropped out after a year with a 1.4 gpa.

Fast forward to 2006 and I decided to return to college and took advantage of an academic clemency program. Since then, I have maintained a gpa of 3.9 or above. I absolutely hate having to even enter those 20+ year old grades, but I suppose my recent record will show what I can do. My biggest concern is how they figure the gpa. Do they add repeated classes to get an average gpa for that class? An F or a D averaged with an A is not good at all.

Since every grade will be averaged according to PTCAS, then you would be right about the F or D with the A not looking good.

But seriously though, in my opinion, If I was on the admissions commitee at the school you were applying to and saw your old transcripts vs. the new ones, to me it's not a big deal and I wouldn't even consider your old transcripts....but that's just me.