Other OT-Related Information Explaining OT to Children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureKidOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I've been volunteering at a school and the kids often ask what I want to do for a career. Of course when I say "occupational therapy," I get many confused little faces. I try to explain it to them, but it's something I've struggled with.

Anyone have any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone!

So I've been volunteering at a school and the kids often ask what I want to do for a career. Of course when I say "occupational therapy," I get many confused little faces. I try to explain it to them, but it's something I've struggled with.

Anyone have any tips?

I'm in a pediatric setting for my second level II fieldwork. The description I tend to use really depends on the age of the child and level of function... but generally I like to tell kids that as an OT, I'm here to help you be able to do all the things that you want to do and need to do. We'll work on things that can be tricky for you at school (like writing, making friends, playing on the playground, etc), and things at home (like getting dressed, playing games, etc).

The focus of OT is to help individuals be as independent and successful as possible in the activities that they want and need to do. I always just bring it back to that and make it as simple and as applicable as possible to the person I'm talking to. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users